Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: HT's Photo Sharing Thread - Chapter 3

Originally posted by Pomai View Post
    I wonder if those Buffalos are how Likanui envisions his ex-wife/plaintiff? lol
    Matter of fact, that was the first thing I thought when I saw Jim's photos. Plaintiff didn't look like that when I first met her, of course. But later, well, the horns on the buffalo are a reasonable facsimile of Plaintiff's more satanic side.

Likanui, I'm dig the shot of Kaneohe bay with the rastafarian-painted boat in it. I love the bay when it's glassy like that.
    Thanks. I think my favorite was the top shot, though, of the people walking on the reef. The glassiness of the water and the timing of the low tide work for me. That was a zoom shot, by the way -- the people were about 200 yards offshore.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

Originally posted by Pomai View Post
      "Hee Haw.. Hee Haw... Welcome to Jack Ass in the Box, may we take your order? Hee Haw"

"Yes, I'll have the Buffalo Burger Deluxe Super Combo"... "And brush your teeth next time you clock in for work".

"Hee Haw"

I wonder if those Baffalos are how Likanui envisions his ex-wife/plaintiff? lol Awesome shots as always!

Likanui, I'm dig the shot of Kaneohe bay with the rastafarian-painted boat in it. I love the bay when it's glassy like that.
      lol Now you've started Buck Owens and Roy Clark singing the Hee Haw theme song in my head.

LikaNui, all three of those shots are truly excellent! And I agree with Pomai, in the shot with the SS Bob Marley you captured some awesome light.

Comment

Originally posted by Jim75 View Post
        LikaNui, all three of those shots are truly excellent! And I agree with Pomai, in the shot with the SS Bob Marley you captured some awesome light.
        Thanks. It was around 8:30 this morning, so a bit late for that warm dawn lighting we all love. But looking at the "Marley" shot again, it is kind of neat with the sharpness of the foreground and the faded Ko`olau mountains in the back. Kind of like this one, also showing the low tide and the faded mountains:

There was this one too, with one person walking on the reef way off on the right-hand side (taken the same time as the reef-walker photo in the earlier post):

Comment

From a hike to Laie Falls earlier this month...

Liked the "giant ear"

Also liked what looks to me like a headless man/primate? swinging from a branch

Comment

Some great views along the Laie Falls trail...liked how small the humans look in this shot:

Unfortunately at this time of year the falls turned out to be a trickle. Oh well! The hike itself was still fun.

Comment

Originally posted by LikaNui View Post
              Thanks. It was around 8:30 this morning, so a bit late for that warm dawn lighting we all love. But looking at the "Marley" shot again, it is kind of neat with the sharpness of the foreground and the faded Ko`olau mountains in the back. Kind of like this one, also showing the low tide and the faded mountains:

There was this one too, with one person walking on the reef way off on the right-hand side (taken the same time as the reef-walker photo in the earlier post):

Howzit LikaNui and all!
              I went with a group of friends to Mokoli'i (China Man's Hat) today.
              What a Blast walking out there, enjoying the island, and returning to shore!
              Attached Files
              Life is either an adventure... or you're not doing it right!!!

Comment

JustMe(HI) just joined HT, is moving to Maui, and was asking about places to go. So I thought I'd post some pics from Maui. These were from 2005 and were taken with my first digicam, a Pentax Optio. I had a transparent vinyl bag kind of underwater housing by Ewa Marine for the underwater shots.

Honolua Bay on Maui is a great place for snorkeling. I went there two times during a week when I was there. The first time I parked along the highway, which is where everybody parks, and followed the path down to the Bay. Just before the bay there was a stream, 20 or so feet across and about a foot deep, that emptied into the bay. That's the first pic. You can see the water's almost up to the one guy's knee. The water in the Bay was cloudy and had a strange film in it. Still had a good day snorkeling around.

On the day I was leaving, I had some time so I decided to go back there one more time. This time the stream was bone dry, not a drop. It had gone from what could be considered a small river to nothing in about three days. So I went on to the Bay and the water was crystal clear. What I learned was that when it rains up in the West Maui Mountains all the run-off creates this stream. When the rain stops, the stream stops. Completely. When the stream stops, it stops depositing suspended particulate matter into the Bay. Clear as a bell. Also, when the fresh water mixes with the salt water it creates the film I saw. I guess it's called Brackish water. All of that was gone too.

The floor of the Bay has coral mounds and interesting topography. There were lots of friendly fish and even an octopus. The topper was this giant school of fish. It was a huge cloud of fish and I estimate there had to be a thousand of them. No exaggeration. They stayed close to one another in this cloud that was about 30 feet long and 7 feet in diameter. They'd let me get about 3 to 4 feet away. If I moved closer, the whole cloud would gradually move away, like I had a force field around me. Utterly amazing. Truly a National Geographic moment. The second pic is this school of fish. I took a lot of pics trying to somehow capture it, but due to the limitations of my camera and skill this was the best of the bunch. I had to do quite a bit of adjusting in the image editing program, but you get the idea of how many fish there were.

The last pic is Honolua Bay from the sea cliff above. More to follow from Black Rock in the next post.

Comment

These pics are from Black Rock, Maui. Black Rock is the lava outcrop the Sheraton is built on/next to. There were lots of fish, a sea turtle, and two rays. Me and about 4 others swam with the rays for about 20 minutes. They didn't seem to mind. It even kind of seemed like they liked the company, but we didn't try to get too close. The last pic is what it looks like above the surface.

Last edited by Jim75; May 23, 2008, 06:40 PM.

Comment

Wow! Jim, your underwater shots are incredible. How do you do that?

That second shot, is that a school of aholehole? (I remember fishing for them when I was a kid, but I'm not a fisherman anymore.)

And the shot with fish melange, including the ray, is fantastic. Keep 'em coming.

Comment

Originally posted by Menehune Man View Post
                      Howzit LikaNui and all!
                      I went with a group of friends to Mokoli'i (China Man's Hat) today.
                      What a Blast walking out there, enjoying the island, and returning to shore!
                      Nice shots, MM. Wish I'd known you were out there and I'd have blasted on over. But hey, look closer at my shot before yours, and perhaps you'll see yourself!

And to Jim75 -- nice Maui shots, especially the cliff-top shot of Honolua Bay. Gorgeous! (And I'm not saying that just because there's a boat in it. )

Comment

I LOVE your pictures- beautiful, beautiful, beautiful ALL of you!!!

I hope I'm not butting in but I wanted to share too...

Taken with my new toy- Nikon D40x... I'm an amateur and I'll probably ask you guys a lot of questions so e kala mai ia'u...
                        I know you are but what am I?
                        --------------------------------------
                        I blog:
                        www.mamasdramas.wordpress.com

Comment

Originally posted by hulagirl View Post
                          I hope I'm not butting in but I wanted to share too.
                          The more the merrier, HulaGirl. We love seeing photos from everyone! Have fun with your new camera, and please share more with us.

Comment

my daughter on our friend's Harley last night:

I'd rather be ... LOST

sigpic

Comment

HulaGirl, by the looks of your Honu picture, it appears you're already quite comfortable with that D40x. Nice shot! Great camera. My coworker has that model, and also a wide angle lens for it, which costs as much as the camera itself! The lens for the D40 are more expensive because the focus motor is built into the lens, and not the camera body.

Kanahina, cute pic of your daughter on the Harley.

Jim, I dig how in that pic above Honolua Bay, the water is so crystal blue clear, that you can see the shadows of the kayaks on the sandy sea bottom. Sweet!

The eagle rays shots are sweet as well.

Here's some shots I took today at Diamond Head beach. It was a beautiful day!

A group of bodyboarders check out the tide pool after a "session" at Diamond Head beach. 5.25.08

A Superfisherman and a Superferry. Diamond Head beach. 5.25.08

Looks like Rocky, Diamond Head beach's resident Hawaiian Monk Seal, is having her afternoon "sandy" facial. Perhaps the sand crabs will help give her a pedicure and manicure. lol 5.25.08
                              sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

Roosters at Diamond Head beach?...

Someone apparently let these loose up there by the lookout. This was taken near the paved beach access trail.

I have no idea what this flower/plant is called...

A clear view of Diamond Head from the Kapahulu Safeway's rooftop parking lot...

I'm tempted to Photoshop Godzilla into this photo. lol
                                sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

Working...
                                X