The Word "Breed"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Word "Breed"

This was posted today by MadAzza in "Those Hawaiians...Those Mainlanders...while discussing the decline of Pure Hawaiians. I personally am highly offended by this and wonder if anyone else feels the same......

And whose "fault" is that?

Is someone forcing all those Hawaiians and part-Hawaiians to breed with other part-Hawaiians and non-Hawaiians?

If full-blooded Hawaiians don't have a big hangup about keeping it "pure," why should anyone else? "Hawaiian" is supposedly more about culture than about race, anyway. Or so it was under the kingdom ... which, granted, was only a small fraction of "Hawaiian" history ... oh, but I digress.
    Every morning I get up and look through the Forbes list of Richest People in America. If I'm not on it, I go to work.

Re: Does the word "Breed" when referring to Hawaiians keeping racially pure offend you?

My Goodness, dear heart, you are so predictable!

Here's a shovel. Please carry on.

(perhaps I should have offered a Midol ...)

Comment

Re: Does the word "Breed" when referring to Hawaiians keeping racially pure offend you?

You said it is a perfectly acceptable term..I don't think it is and I am interested in knowing what others think..honestly I am shocked you actually had the nerve to say "Breed"...
      Every morning I get up and look through the Forbes list of Richest People in America. If I'm not on it, I go to work.

Comment

breed breed breed breed.

breed breed.

breed breed breed native breed.

natives breeding.

Natives breeding natively.

breeding more natives.

lots of heaving sweating bratives needing.

Comment

Kimo! I'm shocked!

Shocked!

How dare you use unapproved words??

I am offended by your use of the word "sweating."

Comment

I can certainly understand your offense, but sometimes a word is just a word and it doesn't necessarily betray any kind of ill-will or negative prejudice. It doesn't sound to me as if MadAzza considers Hawaiians animals, either in the context provided or in her other posts on HT. You definitely have a right to bristle at such usage; however, MadAzza has a right to use a mostly innocuous word. This doesn't look like the stuff of flame wars to me. It looks like "hey, that word offends me," "okay, sorry."
            But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
            GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Originally posted by kimo55
              breed breed breed breed.

breed breed.

breed breed breed native breed.

natives breeding.

Natives breeding natively.

breeding more natives.

lots of heaving sweating bratives needing.

That does not shock me.....sadly

Comment

that does not shock you sadly?
                How does it shock you; gladly? madly? badly?

Comment

Is that the best you got?

Comment

Originally posted by scrivener
                    This doesn't look like the stuff of flame wars to me. It looks like "hey, that word offends me," "okay, sorry."
                    Yeah, you're right, except the part about apologizing for something that is a matter of opinion. I won't apologize because someone else chooses to be offended about something I wrote, unless it's something actually ... well, offensive. However, I should've just walked away. So I will now, with good humor intact.

Comment

Originally posted by scrivener
                      I can certainly understand your offense, but sometimes a word is just a word and it doesn't necessarily betray any kind of ill-will or negative prejudice. .
                      I agree that "sometimes" it does not betray ill-will, in this case however, in her own words..."breed", "Those Hawaiian's", etc..I think it is purely a case of cultural insensitivity from a Haole girl who is using terms and references straight out of the KKK Manual.

Comment

Originally posted by Sindahrella808
                        If full-blooded Hawaiians don't have a big hangup about keeping it "pure," why should anyone else?[/I]
                        I agree. My wife is full-blooded Fijian and at this time most Fijians are. They are intermarrying as the opportunities arise. Bottom line... no matter what distinctions we decide to use, be it race, nationality, economic status, or... we truly are just human beings from planet earth. Example: my daughter is 1/16th Hawaiian, but is more Portuguese and German than that. She is who she is because of who "she" is not because of anyone's bloodline.
                        Life is either an adventure... or you're not doing it right!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Menehune Man
                          I agree. My wife is full-blooded Fijian and at this time most Fijians are. They are intermarrying as the opportunities arise. Bottom line... no matter what distinctions we decide to use, be it race, nationality, economic status, or... we truly are just human beings from planet earth. Example: my daughter is 1/16th Hawaiian, but is more Portuguese and German than that. She is who she is because of who "she" is not because of anyone's bloodline.

That was NOT my quote you quoted..so you are not agreeing with me...I do not agree with that statement in any way

Comment

Alert! Alert!
                            Godwin's Law Invoked!

Invoking Godwin's Law has two effects

The thread is finished
                            The individual who made the comparison to Hitler or the Nazis OR the KKK "loses".

Comment

You just aren't interesting anymore...are you ever NOT sarcastic? Your not so funny small talk is boring, unintelligent and of no value whatsoever.

Comment

Working...
                              X