X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: The Word "Breed"

Originally posted by Sindahrella808
    As a Native Hawaiian...
    OK, now you've lost me. You yourself scolded us in the other thread with: "Don't ever refer to "these Hawaiians" or "those local people", NEVER say "Natives""

If you don't agree with the preservation of our race, then so be it...it appears that the issue isn't important to as many people as I thought.
    You asked people if we found the WORD "breed" offensive - you didn't ask what we thought about the diminution of the Hawaiian bloodlines. You are putting words in our mouths.

Comment

nevermind. Thanks
      Every morning I get up and look through the Forbes list of Richest People in America. If I'm not on it, I go to work.

Comment

Aloha, a hui hou e malama pono.
        Come back to the kitchen anytime, but remember that the heat may be up high.

Comment

Ok...so with remembering a past post, MadAzza could have used T'salagi:

"Udiqualvdeyadv" the word for 'screw'

"Uhalvni" the root for words with 'sex' in em, like sextant

"Unaligohi" the word for 'mate' as in: "Dinaligohisi udvnvisdi g'vdodi adv-siquas" (willingly mates with pigs)

Although context is important because a word like -

"Aninequogv" the word for breed but is usually used to refer to folks who are 'breeds'...so "Dininequogv g'vdodi adv-siquas, nasgi asgaya" would mean 'he breeds with pigs'

And no, I don't speak T'salagi, I went and asked...and hopefully the friend I asked got all his dangeling participles tidied up...

Nothin worse than a guy dangeling his participles over ever'thang.

Comment

OK, I nominate T'salagi as one of the languages furthest away from Hawaiian. Oy, all those consonants! And how do you pronounce a "g" next to a "v"?

But thanks Peshkwe, that was cool.

Comment

Originally posted by Glen Miyashiro
              OK, I nominate T'salagi as one of the languages furthest away from Hawaiian. Oy, all those consonants! And how do you pronounce a "g" next to a "v"?

But thanks Peshkwe, that was cool.
              I'll ask for ya

Comment

Object lesson here: Never argue with people who are wordsmiths or journalists. They will run circles around your vocabulary any day, any time!

Miulang
                "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Here ya go Gle:

*ROFL!* It's not nearly as guttural as commanche. Pronounced right, the language is actually kind of sing-song. The consonants come from the syllabary: they're not really the Anglish "v", "d", "g", "dv", etc - they're compound phonemes used to represent sounds that English doesn't contain. [Thanks to Sequoya, we actually have our own syllabary. It's almost twice as large as English's.]

You might not want to tell him that the Old Tongue - Aniwunyiya - is even more guttural than modern t'salagi. laugh

Let's see.. it varies a bit from word to word because the phonemes are slightly different, as a "ch" can be hard or soft in English, but the "gv" in "Aninequogv" is pronounced "gah" or "guv" depending on the dialect. [Eastern T'salagi is a bit different from Western/Oklahoma T'salgi and Aniwunyiya is a bit different from both in pronunciations.]

It'd be Ahh-nee-ne-qwo-gah sounded out, with the accent on the "nee". ["Qwo" = "quo" as in "quote"] I think Eastern would be Ahh ni ne qwo guv, with accent on the "ne" and a bit more lilt on the "guv", but don't quote me on that. Wink

Similarly, "dv" is usually "duv" or "duh" at the end of a word...

If you're curious on a word's pronunciation, go here: Cherokee Nation Site, and look on the Sidebar at the left for Culture, click on that to extend it, and then click on the link that says "Word List". They screwed it up a bit, so it's no longer quite as easy to search, but if you enter in the first two letters of the English word in the top box, you'll get a list of all the words that start with those two letters, and the t'salagi equivalents. Click on the linked word, and if you have speakers, you'll get a Western Cherokee pronunciation.

I think the pronunciations have drifted a bit over the years, or else it's the accent of the girl that does the recordings... some of their words in the dikanesti sound different to me than I remember from when I was a kid.

Or maybe I'm old and my memory is failing.

Comment

Unfortunately being a wordsmith, does not make you intelligent when it comes to social issues....but hey, can't have everything
                    Every morning I get up and look through the Forbes list of Richest People in America. If I'm not on it, I go to work.

Comment

Unfortunately being a wordsmith, does not make you intelligent when it comes to social issues....but hey, can't have everything
                      That's true. Being a wordsmith just makes you eloquent. Not being a wordsmith, well, that doesn't make you intelligent on social issues either -- it just makes you look uneducated online. Stop making snide swipes like that, it makes you look petty.

Comment

I'll think about it

Comment

One cannot make oneself intelligent, only knowledgeable. Intelligence is inherited, hopefully.
                          “First we fought the preliminary round for the k***s and now we’re gonna fight the main event for the n*****s."
                          http://hollywoodbitchslap.com/review...=416&printer=1

Comment

You sound like you've been having a bad week in general. Where'd you get your avi from? You need to smile more. Go do something nice for yourself; that always makes me feel better.

Miulang

P.S. to Glen and Peshkwe: on the other "Continent", the Welsh are no slouches with their language, either! Take a gander at some of the song titles on this album.

How about these place names? GORSA*FAWDDACH*AIDRAIGODAN*HEDDO*GLEDDOLON*PENRHYN *AREUR*DRAETH*CEREDIGION or LLAN*FAIR*PWLL*GWYN*GYLL*GOGERY*CHWYRN*DROBWLL*LLA NTY*SILIO*GOGO*GOCH. Neither of these has the distinction of being the longest name for a place. This one from Thailand has that distinction:Krung-thep-maha-nakorn-boworn-ratana-kosin-
                            mahintar-ayudhya-amaha-dilok-pop-nopa-ratana-
                            rajthani-burirom-udom-rajniwes-mahasat-arn-amorn-pimarn-
                            avatar-satit-sakattiya-visanukam.
                            Last edited by Miulang; September 29, 2005, 12:30 PM.
                            "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Cultural Insensitivity is a problem no matter where you go.
                              So is Online Etiquette Insensitivity, apparently.

Most of us born in Hawaii have lived with it our entire lives
                              KahalaBrah, Part II. I smell a Professional Victim in our midst, trolling for flames.
                              Buh-bye...

I guess as long as "whoever" (don't want to point fingers) manages to push most of us out to Waianae and Waimanalo, you don't really have to deal with us much anyway so who cares right?
                              Hey, where do I sign up to get "pushed out to Waianae and Waimanalo"? I love those two places and am terribly envious of those who get to live there, especially Waimanalo. Push me there, please!

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

Miulang, please please please go back and edit your post and stick a few spaces into that ultra-long placename. It's playing havoc with my margins!

Comment

Working...
                                X