No announcement yet.

Lost Messages - Post & Edit Timeouts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Why is this site SO user un-friendly?

Well, with all the fine comments and explainations, I might have better luck now, or at least better understand and accept the limitations.

Thanx!

At this point, I'm well aware of a time limt to get the post in before it turns into a pumpkin, but when I expidite and still hit the wall, it does get frustrating, and I wanted to voice it before it got too much. This IS a worthwhile forum.
    https://www.facebook.com/Bobby-Ingan...5875444640256/

Comment

And now...

This site won't even retain my log in's enuf to simply peruse the next topic.
      Constantly sending up the log in page instead.

I had to click on the 'remember me?' thing, which I don't wanna do because I'm on a public computer at the moment.

Comment

I think there's a fair possibility that it's the public computer, and not the site, that's the primary problem. I shudder to think what glitches and broken cookies might have accumulated on such a machine.

Comment

I sometimes run into problems when I use the "preview" option. After previewing, when I then try to "submit", I'm sometimes asked to log in again, and I loose the original posting. I've learned to avoid trying to use the "preview" option.

While we are on the topic of using the HT site, can someone please tell me how to show two or more "quotes" in the same reply? I know how to get one quote to show, but not how to do multiple quotes.
          Now run along and play, but don’t get into trouble.

Comment

Try clicking on the preview button every five minutes or so. That should keep you active to HawaiiThreads.

As far as doing multi-quoting, the icon for that is just to the right of the Quote icon and has the label of " in the icon and it works as a toggle. For more information on that feature there is a thread titled Multi-Quoting?

Comment

Originally posted by helen View Post
              As far as doing multi-quoting, the icon for that is just to the right of the Quote icon and has the label of " in the icon and it works as a toggle. For more information on that feature there is a thread titled Multi-Quoting?
              I used the practice thread, thanks for sending me there!!
              Now run along and play, but don’t get into trouble.

Comment

Mahalo for reviving that thread!! I needed that lesson.

Comment

It could be the public computer I was using at that time, but other times it's ok with it, and it does happen even with the home unit or friends.

Comment

Re: Weird, Hawaii: Looking for Submissions!

I got a firsthand account of a night marcher experience with a lot of details....... tried 3 TIMES to post it here and once at weirdhawaii.com all was lost.. each attempt took at least an hour to compose and I am a computer moron, will try again when a got a friend around that know how fo work dis damn ting.

Comment

What probably happened is you got timed out.

Try writing it in notepad, word or something like that separately from the posting block, save it, then copy and paste it into the posting area.

That way if for some reason there's a limit on the size or character count you have it available to make it into sections for a few posts.

Comment

Originally posted by Hickman83 View Post
                        tried 3 TIMES to post it here and once at weirdhawaii.com all was lost.. each attempt took at least an hour to compose
                        Don't know what to say about weirdhawaii.com but here at HawaiiThreads you might want to check this thread about the timeout issue.

Comment

Now I just get the post started a bit, submit it soon, then edit it some so it's fuller, submit again, edit some more until pau.

Comment

Originally posted by Ron Whitfield View Post
                            Now I just get the post started a bit, submit it soon, then edit it some so it's fuller, submit again, edit some more until pau.
                            Your techinque goes under the heading of "temping fate". The first issue is that other users who are reading the submitted post you are currently editing may not be aware that the post in question is still being edited. While it won't cause grief with HawaiiThreads having multiple users posting replies to the same thread, it might cause some problems reading the thread when a user who quoted your original post can no longer reference the original text of the quote since you have changed it after they quoted it.

The second issue is how the editing timeout value works. If that value is 45 minutes (I truly don't know that value is, I just choose 45 minutes for an example) is the starting time based on the first edit you did or does it change each time you edit the post?

Comment

Originally posted by helen View Post
                              ...or does it change each time you edit the post?
                              It does not. I once ran out of editing time while I was editing. My edits were denied.
                              But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
                              GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Re: Lost Messages - Post & Edit Timeouts

I would reiterate that the safest way to avoid any loss on your post is to copy and paste what you write in the message window (before pressing Submit) into any available word processor. (MS Word, WordPad, etc.) WordPad and Notepad are pre-installed on any Windows OS. Simpletext on any Mac OS.

I have used this method for nearly every one of my posts, ever since I went through your “nightmare scenario” after first joining HT. It has never failed me.

We can’t be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans.

— U.S. President Bill Clinton
                                USA TODAY, page 2A
                                11 March 1993

Comment

Working...
                                X