Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Contacts & Friends

Originally posted by SusieMisajon View Post
    WHOOPEE!!! I figured it out! I've got little private messages on my friends page!
    Congratulations! I'm still not sure how I feel about the "visitor messages" on profile pages. Seems very MySpace/Facebook-esque. Friendly graffiti. Half a message to the user, half a... broadcast that you're sending a message to the user.

So far I've deleted the two visitor messages I got, since they seemed more one-time, specific requests that would have otherwise been a PM anyway. My picky nature will find it hard to not want to "clean them up" off my profile page.

Like "Social Groups," it's like another nook or cranny for interaction to take place... where I would imagine some folks would prefer choosing simply between a thread or a private message for interaction.

Comment

Originally posted by Leo Lakio View Post
      (Though I did "decline" all the friend-requests that were here on HT, because I never got any satisfactory answer to my thread asking about said requests and what, if anything, happens if you "accept" them. I got tired of having them pop up every time, so I erased them all - sorry if that implied any dislike of you on my part.)
      If you accept a friend request what happens is that relationship is known to the other users who views your profile or the profile of your friends.

As far as any special things that happen when you have a friend, I have no idea.

Comment

Originally posted by pzarquon View Post
        Congratulations! I'm still not sure how I feel about the "visitor messages" on profile pages.
        ... it's like another nook or cranny for interaction to take place... where I would imagine some folks would prefer choosing simply between a thread or a private message for interaction.
        Originally posted by helen View Post
        If you accept a friend request what happens is that relationship is known to the other users who views your profile or the profile of your friends.
        As far as any special things that happen when you have a friend, I have no idea.
        I'd like to hear about a discussion board where they've actually found a useful application for "friends", "visitor messages", and "thanks" comments. They don't seem to serve a purpose other than to give more ways to respond, and more places that a poster has to pay attention to.
        Youth may be wasted on the young, but retirement is wasted on the old.
        Live like you're dying, invest like you're immortal.
        We grow old if we stop playing, but it's never too late to have a happy childhood.
        Forget about who you were-- discover who you are.

Comment

While crafting an response to another thread I went to my User CP and then selected Profile Privacy.

At that page there are 8 different settings about your profile page. These settings are:
          • Profile Picture
          • Vistor Message
          • Contact Info
          • Albums
          • About Me
          • Friends
          • Recent Vistors
          • Group Memberships

Each setting has 4 levels which are:
          1. Everyone
          2. Registrated Members
          3. Your Contacts
          4. Your Friends

Now here is an suggestion. Set the Visitor Message to "Friends". With that only the people who are listed as your friends can see and leave Visitor Messages but no one else. Not as private as the Private Message option (if you have 10 friends and one friend leaves a message there, the other 9 friends can see it too) but it might come in handy as an alternate to the full private mailbox that comes out from time to time.
          Last edited by helen; February 6, 2009, 12:31 PM.

Comment

If you are the type of user who enables the Use Invisible Mode in the User CP, your friends will not see you on-line.

Comment

If you are the type of user who enables the Use Invisible Mode in the User CP, your friends will not see you on-line.

Call me 'Old Fashioned.' but I don't see the reason of going onto a forum to interchange ideas (or in my case recipes) while you are invisible. What's the point ?

Comment

As long as a person uses being invisible for good and not evil. Harry Potter doesn't abuse the invisible cloak by sneaking into the movie theatre.

Comment

Originally posted by Walkoff Balk View Post
                  Harry Potter doesn't abuse the invisible cloak by sneaking into the movie theatre.
                  How do you know? No one can really tell, can they? Bwah-hah-hah!

(Just keep that cloak away from Random; I can only imagine the chaos that he would unleash with such power!)

Comment

Originally posted by Leo Lakio View Post
                    How do you know? No one can really tell, can they? Bwah-hah-hah!
                    Those C.S.I guys would be able to find some DNA evidence.

Comment

Working...
                    X