This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Is HawaiiThreads.com too mean?

And that is what this topic is for... to point out the meanness that occurs at HT. It continues.
    I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Originally posted by Palolo Joe
      Blah, blah, blah... just be sure to do all of us Hawaii residents a favor and retire up there on the mainland.
      Sorry, Joe. It ain't gonna happen. I'm coming home soon...

Miulang
      "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Depends on your definition of "too mean."

Yeah, people attack each other here - sometimes in jest, sometimes sharply. For some, it rolls off their backs, and for others, it stings deeply.

That's a community for you. So what do we do about it? So far, I respect how admin has dealt with it. If he feels someone goes a little too far with personal attacks, he usually asks them to back off (as a warning.) If they are really harsh, he has been known to suspend them temporarily, or ban them permanently.

I've made the mistake of addressing personal attacks on occasion. In cases where I've hurt someone's feelings, I will apologize - even if I didn't think it was hurtful. The receipient did, and I respect that.

There are some posters here who enjoy being provocative and hurtful, but I could "ignore" them if it really bothered me. I think there are some who take attacks a bit more personally than I would, but they have every right to feel that way. And they could always report what they feel are overboard attacks.

All that said, I think there is far more useful, thoughtful and enjoyable discourse here than there is mean and ugly. I think the overall HT balance is better than a lot of boards I've seen, so I vote "no" - I don't think HT in and of itself is "too mean."

Comment

Originally posted by Miulang
          Sorry, Joe. It ain't gonna happen. I'm coming home soon...

Miulang
          I won't be there any time soon, PJ, but by the time I am, you'll probably be past the age where I am now - and you'll be the one messin' Hawai`i up for the next generation!

You'll be able to recognize me - I'll be the old fut driving too damn slow, with my left turn-signal on for miles, wearing an ugly hat to protect my balding scalp. Or will that be you (to someone else's eyes?) Either way, I'll wave a shaka sign at you, and you can respond with the International Gesture of Unhappiness.

--- just kidding ---

Comment

Originally posted by Leo Lakio
            I won't be there any time soon, PJ, but by the time I am, you'll probably be past the age where I am now - and you'll be the one messin' Hawai`i up for the next generation!

You'll be able to recognize me - I'll be the old fut driving too damn slow, with my left turn-signal on for miles, wearing an ugly hat to protect my balding scalp. Or will that be you (to someone else's eyes?) Either way, I'll wave a shaka sign at you, and you can respond with the International Gesture of Unhappiness.

--- just kidding ---
            Gotta love all the assumptions being made about me... ho, dis internet is meeeeean, ah?

No worry Leo. If you're driving like that in the PASSING lane, someone like MadAzza will gladly give you the IGOU. As long as you stay out of my way, I'll stay out of yours.

Oh, and I'm not messin' up Hawaii for the next generation. I've been here for decades, doing my part to be part of the local community. Not living on the mainland trying to tell locals how it should be done here via an online message board.

Comment

Originally posted by mel
              It continues.
              Another stone cast at a shattered glass house...

Comment

Oh, and I'm not messin' up Hawaii for the next generation. I've been here for decades, doing my part to be part of the local community. Not living on the mainland trying to tell locals how it should be done here via an online message board.
                Hey Aaron...here's one of those people you say are screwing things up in the 'aina that you're going to have to make right

Miulang
                Last edited by Miulang; April 17, 2006, 12:31 PM.
                "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Gotta love all the assumptions being made about me... If you're driving like that in the PASSING lane, someone like MadAzza will gladly give you the IGOU.
                  Now who's making assumptions? Besides, I'll be heading to MadAzza's, at her and kimo55's invitation - cause I'm bringing the "refreshments."

As long as you stay out of my way, I'll stay out of yours.
                  Aww, now I'm disappointed. Who says I want you outta my way? I'll be sharing the aloha with you, and you won't reciprocate? Keep it up, and I just might get the crazy impression that you don't want anyone from the Mainland to ever move to Hawai`i.

And Miulang doesn't count - she was born there, so she gets grandfathered in. And I guess my Alpha Female doesn't count, since she was born and raised on O`ahu --- so, if you leave for school and jobs, the door shuts behind you? "Palolo Joe's Island Immigration Service: Go explore the world off-island, but don't bother to come back home."

Yep, that's me all over - telling you folks how to do things there. Except that I don't.

You're an easy one to mess with, you know that? All in fun, however, all in fun.

Comment

Now who's making assumptions?
                    Not me. Go back and read some of the older threads... and pay attention to the "join date" that's next to the names on this board.

The MadAzza comment wasn't a knock. Try driving like an idiot in the left lane in front of her. She'll tell you herself how much she doesn't like that.

And you're not the one telling us how to live our lives out here. That's Miulang with her condescending comments from time to time.

This is what you call "messing with me," huh... *yawn*

I've got no beef with you Leo. But hey, if you wanna dance, we can dance...

Last edited by Palolo Joe; April 17, 2006, 01:32 PM.

Comment

This is what you call "messing with me," huh... *yawn*
                      I've got no beef with you Leo. But hey, if you wanna dance, we can dance...
                      Agreed, no beef either - that's why the "messing" is gentle, and without malice or desire to escalate. We can leave that to the "aaa111"s of the world.

Comment

So, if you leave for school and jobs, the door shuts behind you?
                        No... but when you move away to chase more money on the mainland, don't complain how it's just soooooo tough to make it here at home.

I went to college on the mainland. I worked on the mainland. I made a conscious decision to pack up and come back home.

You can't complain about brain-drain out here if you're part of the problem. If you like the money and opportunity the mainland affords, great. Stay there. You lost your local card.

I'm tired of people who complain about the situation out here and don't do anything to make it better. And I'm not the only one.

Retire on the mainland. Leave Hawaii's limited space and resources for the next generation of tax-paying residents who want to actually effect some change - not drink coffee at McDonalds and fiddle with Sudoku puzzles.

Comment

Yeah, what Palolo Joe said. I said something similar in the old "brain drain" thread. You make your choices in life; live with them.

Comment

No... but when you move away to chase more money on the mainland, don't complain how it's just soooooo tough to make it here at home.

I went to college on the mainland. I worked on the mainland. I made a conscious decision to pack up and come back home.

You can't complain about brain-drain out here if you're part of the problem. If you like the money and opportunity the mainland affords, great. Stay there. You lost your local card.

I'm tired of people who complain about the situation out here and don't do anything to make it better. And I'm not the only one.

Retire on the mainland. Leave Hawaii's limited space and resources for the next generation of tax-paying residents who want to actually effect some change - not drink coffee at McDonalds and fiddle with Sudoku puzzles.
                            McDonald's coffee? Oh wait, that's Seattle's Best, which is owned by Starbucks. Nevermind.

Comment

Originally posted by Glen Miyashiro
                              Yeah, what Palolo Joe said. I said something similar in the old "brain drain" thread. You make your choices in life; live with them.
                              Not to worry, Glen. Some of us are planning to choose to move back there.
                              Money ain't everything, you know. But you don't learn that until much later sometimes. So call me retarded, I guess. And when I get back there, I promise not to screw up the islands any more than it's already screwed up, OK?

Miulang

Comment

That's Miulang with her condescending comments from time to time.
                                Well, I think you could look back at your own postings, and find a few that would classify as "condescending" too, don't you think? You may find that your glass house is in the same neighborhood as the one you say Mel is in.

Miulang is as much "of Hawai`i" as anyone else - she left the Islands years ago, but still has a love of the `aina - having an off-island perspective doesn't necessarily kill that off. I know hundreds of people from Hawai`i who have chosen to live on the Mainland, but they are still deeply rooted to home (and many of them will return someday.)

And yes, I also know former residents of the Islands who HAVE lost their roots while on the Mainland; I share in your hope that they stay off-island with their attitudes. You can be from Hawai`i and still be ignorant of Hawai`i, I'll grant you that.

I'm sure you don't assume that everyone on the Mainland is wrong about Hawai`i; you and I just happen to disagree as to Miulang (and maybe a few other folks.)

Comment

Working...
                                X