X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Is HawaiiThreads.com too mean?

Originally posted by Palolo Joe
    old folks I saw last weekend at McDonald's Ala Moana... DRINKING COFFEE AND FIDDLING WITH SUDOKU PUZZLES.
    Ey, Blaine! You heard that? When do I get my raise?
    But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
    GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Mercury must be in retrograde - there's a lotta heat in a lotta threads these days. As for my own contributions in that vein, kalamai.

Comment

Waking up this thread with a plea ---

As one individual who has thrown out some highly-snarky posts myself (you know the type - personally attacking the character of a poster, rather than debating the topic of the thread), I've been re-reading a lot of stuff and noticed how often a perfectly good discussion quickly degrades into personal crap-flinging.

There are certain individuals here who can generally be relied upon to go down this path, and I don't mean the occasional trolls. I mean regular contributors, whose posts can be of a well-constructed, informative and interesting nature. They usually add much to the discussion, but sometimes lapse into vitriolic personal attacks (and I don't mean in defense - these are the attacks that start the downhill slide.)

Some posters have been temporarily suspended for such behavior; others banned outright. Yes, there is the "ignore" function, but when I've used that in the past, I often find myself opening their posts anyway, for the useful stuff that they regularly add.

So the plea is this: can we all turn up our personal radars, and police ourselves in order to catch, filter and avoid these kinds of postings, to the best of our abilities? I'd rather see HT as a salon, town hall, or comfortable tavern where we can have great debate and discussion, as opposed to a back alley where knives and broken bottles are flashed regularly.

Comment

Originally posted by Leo Lakio
          Waking up this thread with a plea ---

So the plea is this: can we all turn up our personal radars, and police ourselves in order to catch, filter and avoid these kinds of postings, to the best of our abilities? I'd rather see HT as a salon, town hall, or comfortable tavern where we can have great debate and discussion, as opposed to a back alley where knives and broken bottles are flashed regularly.
          I agree with you 100% percent. I am guilty as well for making "ugly and unnessary comments" to others. I have been watching what I say lately. Mahalo for the reminder and the Plea for the wake-up call.

We still can give our "opinions" for this is a Public Forum. Of course within the Rules and Regulations of HT.

Life is Short. Let's enjoy it! Let's Dance!

Auntie Lynn
          Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
          Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

I think I'm been walking on eggs for a few months now!

Comment

[...]I've been re-reading a lot of stuff and noticed how often a perfectly good discussion quickly degrades into personal crap-flinging.[...]
              This kind of behavior runs rampant on the internet. It comes with the territory, I guess. It's also what kills off forums and newsgroups. Not sure if anything, beyond a plea, can be done about it. It is what it is...unfortunately.

Comment

Originally posted by tutusue
                This kind of behavior runs rampant on the internet. It comes with the territory, I guess. It's also what kills off forums and newsgroups. Not sure if anything, beyond a plea, can be done about it. It is what it is...unfortunately.
                Yeah, and HT's no different. I don't expect this plea to make much of a difference (certainly not a lasting one), but even a little difference is an improvement.

Comment

I've decided to temporarily come of off my "permanent vacation" from HT, simply because it's the most interesting (and active) of the "Hawai'i-themed" boards. Hopefully, I've made the right decision....

Cheers,

Jonah K
                  Ā Ē Ī Ō Ū ā ē ī ō ū -- Just a little something to "cut and paste."

Comment

Welcome back, Jonah K.
                    Originally posted by Jonah K
                    ...it's the most interesting...of the "Hawai'i-themed" boards.
                    Very kind of you to say.
                    Last edited by Leo Lakio; June 13, 2006, 12:40 PM.

Comment

Welcome back Jonah!

Comment

Welcome back Jonah!

Auntie Lynn
                        Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
                        Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

Yeah, and HT's no different. I don't expect this plea to make much of a difference (certainly not a lasting one), but even a little difference is an improvement.
                          I guess it goes back to the ol' adage...something about you can't change anyone else's behavior...you can only change your own. Poor paraphrasing, I know! It's up to each of us to decide whether or not to continue reading a thread once it's deteriorated. And, while I'm at it why anyone bothers to respond to obvious trolls I'll never understand! Attention eggs 'em on. Silence drives 'em nuts. I'd rather drive 'em nuts!!!

Snarky! Dang, I love that word! 'Plethora' is another one of my faves!

Comment

Originally posted by tutusue
                            why anyone bothers to respond to obvious trolls I'll never understand!
                            If I understood why, I'd probably stop doing it myself, fool that I am.

Comment

If I understood why, I'd probably stop doing it myself, fool that I am.
                              You're not alone, Leo! Sometimes the devil just makes us do it...me included!

Comment

I was a lurker for a long time before I decided to leave my first post, but I do agree with a new user getting a "feel" of the boards before he/she starts posting. I'll always feel like I'm a 'newbie', I don't know why, but I do respect the different personalities we have on this board, and accept how people are because "that's just the way it is"...and I don't expect to get along with everyone all the time.

There were a few instances where I couldn't help but think, "Wow...he/she really didn't deserve that kind of reply..." but who am I to call anyone out on their online behavior? To me, this is just the internet. I know it's not the same for most of you (as I've read about the get togethers and such), but I choose not to get 'into it' because it's really not worth it. Thankfully I have better things to do than worry about what someone thinks of something I posted online today.

That said, when compared to some of the message boards I belong to, HT isn't mean at all. A lot of the posters on those other MBs like to play nice games of "hey look...my !$&% is bigger" because all of a sudden they get sudden bouts of KEYBOARD COURAGE once they hit that login button.

Finally, add me to the list of people who love the word 'snarky'.
                                Tessie, "Nuf Ced" McGreevey shouted
                                We're not here to mess around
                                Boston, you know we love you madly
                                Hear the crowd roar to your sound
                                Don't blame us if we ever doubt you
                                You know we couldn't live without you
                                Tessie, you are the only only only

Comment

Working...
                                X