X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Is HawaiiThreads.com too mean?

Interesting thread here.

Regarding the Hawaii Media section of this board, there's certainly your share of cynics and jaded hearts. Fortunately, folks who actually work in Hawaii's media industry (myself included) also participate, so it gives the board at least some validity... not just hot air.

I would say at least 80% of Hawaii Media's active board posters live in Hawaii, not expats.

As for being "mean", some can't help but feel that way because of the nature of Hawaii's media industry.. sometimes a very cold-hearted, cheap-paying, dog-eat-dog world.

Critics take harsh jabs at media personalities as if they are ragdolls with no feelings. Sometimes the things said are so mean, I think to myself, "damn, is this person really from Hawaii?, I hope not".

For myself, I try to live Aloha on the boards, keeping a positive attitude with just good things to say. If there's something bad to say (or criticize), I won't say it at all. If I do criticize, I'll try and at least be constructive, with a shed of light to the negative aspect of it. My parents taught me that.

There was one thread that ended up a flame war which I regretfully became a part of, and I publicly apologize to anyone in that thread I offended (you know who you are).

My best defense in times of flame wars is what mom taught me, "kill 'em with love". Most of the time it works, as long as you're sincere about it.

Hawaii is a relatively small place, and you never know who you'll come across... hence we always say, "small world eh?". Hawaii's certainly not a good place to burn bridges.

This board has a good balance of aloha and intellectual, spontaneous conversation. Enough that I continue to enjoy it here. If it ever doesn't, I'll simply move on.

Life is too short to be angry. As the bumber sticker says, "Live Aloha".
    Last edited by Pomai; September 24, 2005, 11:21 AM. Reason: typo'
    sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

Originally posted by scrivener
      Oh! That is TOO FUNNY! We'd have a Glen Miyashiro and a Mits Funai. I swear, I'd laugh my head off every time one of them posted something and the other responded. That would be a good poll for HT: Would you rather be Glen Miyashiro or Mits Funai? Hey Pua`i, you've made yourself popular around here, but if things turn sour and you need to abandon your handle, you could always come back as Miss Momi Lomilomi.
      If things get REALLY ugly here, look for me under the alias, "TITARELLA" - Frank DeLima's Filipino twist of Cinderella.

Kome'pleet wit deeeee...ehhhhh.. Pilipino uck'cent, like dut. Dut way, I would know who is dee local prom Hawa'ee.. be-kooze dee uh-derr people kood not un-dare'stund what manang iss-say'eeng.
      sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

Originally posted by Pomai
        I would say at least 80% of Hawaii Media's active board posters live in Hawaii, not expats.

As for being "mean", some can't help but feel that way because of the nature of Hawaii's media industry.. sometimes a very cold-hearted, cheap-paying, dog-eat-dog world.
        Yes....too true and for that there is dissention within the media community. Sometimes talent being the harsher with opinions of each other which we saw in the thread about the DJ/TV host Tiny.

There is so much talent that is stressed through the lack of real opportunity to shine in Hawaii. Both local radio and TV give the best opportunities that they know how but even they are limited by the standards that are set. In turn we all float around with the best Aloha we can and try not to kick sand in anybody else's eyes while on the beach of entertainment hopes.......

Comment

Originally posted by jdub
          YAHTZEE!! More aloha!

Ahhhh the love

Hey wait a minute...are we dispelling the myth that HT is becoming too mean?
          Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

HawaiiThreads is not mean. We are a melting pot of different views and welcome all newcomers with ALOHA ... if you can't handle some heat once in a while, go find a pansy board to hang out on!
            Listen to KEITH AND THE GIRLsigpic

Stupid people come in all flavors-buzz1941
            Flickr

Comment

It's been pretty mellow lately. The calm before the storm or eye of the hurricane? Jus' choking!
              Life is either an adventure... or you're not doing it right!!!

Comment

Originally posted by alohabear
                HawaiiThreads is not mean. We are a melting pot of different views and welcome all newcomers with ALOHA ... if you can't handle some heat once in a while, go find a pansy board to hang out on!

yea. again, like dis one:

http://www.hawaii.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=2034

where they redefine Hawaiian words. and any slighty dissenting or elucidating perspecitve is chased outta the church with a rug beater by schoolmarms.

(oh, and this is rich; some mainlander is writing a book to help haole understand Hawaii. and he's doing it from Michigan or somehwere. and asking for help, definitions and material. So he's not writing the book. But others who may be as clueless, are!)

Comment

Mean-- No Hateful Is The Word To You. Your Cuts Are Hurtful And As I See It After Basically Being Booted Off This Message Board. You're Anti-haole!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You Claim you greet every Newcomer with Aloha... I certainly didn't see it

Comment

I..... am anti haole??

I say i greet everyone with...
                    whuuut duuuh fuuuu....

I am soooo full of warmth and happiness and aloha, and acceptance and...
                    HEY!
                    thought you left!

"I'M OUTTA HERE.. MOST UNFRIENDLY BOARD I'VE EVER BOTHERED TO POST ON - KINDLY REMOVE ALL MESSAGES POSTED BY ME AND ALL THE FLAMES THEREAFTER ~I WON'T BE BACK"
                    Last edited by kimo55; October 6, 2005, 08:50 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by dcfanaddicts
                      Mean-- No Hateful Is The Word To You. Your Cuts Are Hurtful And As I See It After Basically Being Booted Off This Message Board. You're Anti-haole!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I am reminded of the difference between the slow process of coming to enlightenment promised through the Indian approach to Buddhism and the "sudden enlightenment" approach of Zen Buddhism as practiced in the Japanese tradition. Kimo has the temperament of the Zen master about him IMHO. "Tough aloha" if you will.

Apologies Kimo if you are not amused and if you are that'll be one green chicklet.
                      Last edited by sinjin; October 7, 2005, 04:58 AM.
                      “First we fought the preliminary round for the k***s and now we’re gonna fight the main event for the n*****s."
                      http://hollywoodbitchslap.com/review...=416&printer=1

Comment

Originally posted by dcfanaddicts
                        Mean-- No Hateful Is The Word To You. Your Cuts Are Hurtful And As I See It After Basically Being Booted Off This Message Board.
                        You haven't been booted off this message board, as evidenced by your ability to post. The thread where you've been advertising your websites was closed, however. You're perfectly free to participate in other conversations here not related to Danny Couch.
                        I think our track record speaks for itself. Newcomers who come in the spirit this community is offered are welcomed warmly. With over 100 posts to your name, I'd hardly consider you a newcomer. Certainly other members here have reacted, however, to the fact that the vast majority of your posts have been promotional, and not conversational, in nature.

If you participated in the HawaiiThreads community, and didn't merely market at it, you'll find plenty of aloha... and, yes, a fair helping of kolohe (and pupule) as well.

Comment

Originally posted by kimo55
                          yea. again, like dis one:

http://www.hawaii.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=2034

where they redefine Hawaiian words. and any slighty dissenting or elucidating perspecitve is chased outta the church with a rug beater by schoolmarms.

(oh, and this is rich; some mainlander is writing a book to help haole understand Hawaii. and he's doing it from Michigan or somehwere. and asking for help, definitions and material. So he's not writing the book. But others who may be as clueless, are!)
                          Aloha kimo55,

Some the posters on Hawaii.com aren't clueless -- just bored, somewhat kolohe, and entertained by the ramblings of "pre-diasporic" haoles.

Cheers,

Jonah K
                          Ā Ē Ī Ō Ū ā ē ī ō ū -- Just a little something to "cut and paste."

Comment

"pre-diasporic" haoles.
                            Meaning Caucasians that haven't left their homeland?
                            Life is either an adventure... or you're not doing it right!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Jonah K
                              Some the posters on Hawaii.com aren't clueless --

snot what i heard.

Comment

Originally posted by Menehune Man
                                Meaning Caucasians that haven't left their homeland?
                                Presumably, Europeans.

Comment

Working...
                                X