X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Is HawaiiThreads.com too mean?

Originally posted by Menehune Man
    Meaning Caucasians that haven't left their homeland?
    Aloha Kākou,

In the broadest sense, a "pre-diasporic haole" is a non-kanaka maoli that hasn't yet moved to Hawai'i.

Cheers,

Jonah K
    Ā Ē Ī Ō Ū ā ē ī ō ū -- Just a little something to "cut and paste."

Comment

Originally posted by Jonah K
      Aloha Kākou,

In the broadest sense, a "pre-diasporic haole" is a non-kanaka maoli that hasn't yet moved to Hawai'i.

Cheers,

Jonah K
      Okay. I understand now. Thanks!
      Life is either an adventure... or you're not doing it right!!!

Comment

Aloha K?kou,

well, it's clear as mud, but it covered the ground.

Comment

Heh. In other words, there are two kinds of people in the world: kanaka maoli and haole. Reminds me of that famous Saul Steinberg cartoon in the New Yorker, "A View of the World from Ninth Avenue".

Comment

Originally posted by Glen Miyashiro
            Heh. In other words, there are two kinds of people in the world: kanaka maoli and haole. Reminds me of that famous Saul Steinberg cartoon in the New Yorker, "A View of the World from Ninth Avenue".
            Aloha Glen,

That pretty much sums it up from a kanaka maoli point of view; however, the world is much more diverse that than. Over the past decade, many U.S. university-trained kanaka maoli scholars, such as Rona Halualani and J. Kehaulani Kauanui, have been influenced by "diaspora studies", which is an academic field that specializes in dispersed ethnic populations or "diaspora peoples." While it's currently in vogue to refer to kanaka maoli residing in the continental U.S. as "diasporic Hawaiians", the opposite of that is the "diasporic haole" residing in Hawai'i. Many "diasporic haoles" have fled their homelands to escape to their visions of "paradise" in Hawai'i, Tahiti, Samoa, and other islands in the Pacific. Websites like Hawaii.com provide a unique opportunity to study them in their "pre-diasporic state" and examine the "push-pull" factors that lead some to abandon their birthplaces, jobs, family, and friends in order to live in Hawai'i or some other "paradise."

Cheers,

Jonah K
            Ā Ē Ī Ō Ū ā ē ī ō ū -- Just a little something to "cut and paste."

Comment

Okay, from the screen name I chose, you can see that if things are truly mean, I could be setting myself up. However, I have encountered ALOHA!

My objective is to just connect. There is a longing in my heart and spirit for Hawai'i that I cannot express or even really understand. Can't help it that I was born where I was born or to whom...just know that there will be nothing but honesty and complete respect flowing from these fingertips.

In the meantime, THANKS for the love!

Comment

I just joined earlier today, and I don't have any issues about meanness. I myself kinda of like the way I was greeted. Humor can be a great greeter.
                Hopefully I'll see more chiklets in the future.

Comment

Sometimes we may come across a bit rude and impatient....but, that is a strong reason so many of us hang out on our computers. We keep up a good front most of the time when we need to show Aloha Spirit, but here we can hide and talk about our own frustrations on the lack of integrity, economic growth, housing, and my personal favorites, ice and teen pregnancies here in
                  paradise.

Comment

Originally posted by hawaiianlore
                    Hopefully I'll see more chiklets in the future.
                    chiklet chiklet chiklet chiklet chiklet

there ya go!

Comment

Oooooh! A pack of chicklets! Yummy!

Originally posted by MadAzza

there ya go!

Comment

I joined this group back in December after reading the article in the paper about Auntie Lynn and her slippers. It was such a heart warming thing to hear about and I thought that this group would be something really nice to belong to.

I was wrong.

Mel or whoever the moderator is - please feel free to remove me from your list.

Aloha,
                        Fran
                        "Democracy is the only system that persists in asking the powers that be whether they are the powers that ought to be."
                        – Sydney J. Harris

Comment

why do you think you were wrong?

Comment

Originally posted by anapuni808
                            I joined this group back in December after reading the article in the paper about Auntie Lynn and her slippers. It was such a heart warming thing to hear about and I thought that this group would be something really nice to belong to.

I was wrong.

Mel or whoever the moderator is - please feel free to remove me from your list.

Aloha,
                            Fran
                            I can only open or close threads, not remove users from the forum. However please don't let a few bad threads or few bad or rude users spoil your time here.

Comment

Originally posted by Aaron S
                              ....I'll be living here long after you are dead and gone.
                              Do some people have an agenda to see their fellow HT members die? Ouch!
                              Maybe it is because they don't like conservatives or absolute points of view. But to imply the death of a fellow user... well this sure is fodder for this long dormant topic.

That said, does anyone else around here want me or another member dead? Or to go away forever?
                              I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Not me...The idea of dead bodies in a forum just doesn't appeal to me. But it has been a little quiet (though so have I been).

Originally posted by mel
                                That said, does anyone else around here want me or another member dead? Or to go away forever?

Comment

Working...
                                X