Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Racial divide and schools?

Originally posted by Keith H. View Post
    As for your argument ... it does come from two well-respected sources that govern writing nationwide. But I still think that the AP Stylebook, which is the de facto annually-updated bible of the U.S. writing industry that says how those words can be acceptably used (and which now, thanks in part to Michelle Wie, says "Hawaiian" should be used only for the ethnic group...see my post above), trumps any dictionary.

Dunno if that will satisfy you or others, but I think that’s as close to an authoritative endorsement of island usage of Hawaiian as you're gonna get.
    I have to agree with this, Keith. In fact I’ll bet anyone a plate lunch that the dictionary isn’t even the second most consulted book by copy editors nationwide after the AP stylebook. (Thesaurus anyone?) Apparently, your point went right over reineke’s head the first time you said it, as his mountainous rhetoric of ignorance has not included an acknowledgement of the one fact that negates his “bow down to Merriam-Webster” mantra.

We can’t be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans.

— U.S. President Bill Clinton
    USA TODAY, page 2A
    11 March 1993

Comment

I did recognize it, and it was a very good and valid point and something I was unaware of. You're the one who hasn't been reading. I didn't get a chance to comment on it at length, but that's ok. I meant well, but all this turned out very wrong. I recognize I could have handled it better. My rhetoric was clouded by circumstance. I wouldn't mind buying a beer to anyone I had disagreement with. Let this thread die, or turn back to its original topic. Cheers, and thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by reineke View Post
        I wouldn't mind buying a beer to anyone I had disagreement with. Let this thread die, or turn back to its original topic. Cheers, and thanks.
        Then you're a good sport and I'd be happy to tip one with you.
        “First we fought the preliminary round for the k***s and now we’re gonna fight the main event for the n*****s."
        http://hollywoodbitchslap.com/review...=416&printer=1

Comment

Working...
        X