This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Reputation?

On another note, the vBulletin software allows the admin to offer users the option to opt in or opt out of the reputation system.

User Reputation Doc at vBulletin Site

Allow Users to Hide Their Reputation

If a user hides their reputation, their reputation level will display "User has disabled reputation". The benefit of this is that it allows users who find the system distasteful can choose to not have their posts rated.
    So how about that? Give the users the option to opt in or out of the reputation system. It can be done if the vBulletin doc is to be believed.

Let the 56% of the people who chose to do away with the reputation system to opt out.

People don't like spam here. Reputation points may be a close second to spam. Look at how many posts and views this topic has. Certainly a controversial topic that need not be here if there were no reputation system.
    I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Since you said Blaine was the one who gave you the postive reputation and his current power is at 24. The person who gave you the negative reputation must have given you a score of less than 24.

The bottom line it's not using the number of postive and negative entries but rather the entries actual reputation power to determine that post's reputation. For example if you gotten one postive reputation at 50 points and four negative reputations at 5 each, the actual score would be 50 - 5 - 5 - 5 - 5 = 50 - 20 = 30 points. Overall the net effect would postive even though it looks bad with 1 green and 4 red ones.

Comment

So how can I opt out? What do I do?

I don't like the idea of annonimous comments to my posts.
        If someone has something to say... do it on the boards for all to see.
        Last edited by Menehune Man; January 7, 2006, 09:59 PM. Reason: More
        Life is either an adventure... or you're not doing it right!!!

Comment

At the risk of redundancy (my own!)...I don't really care anymore if the rep system stays or goes. However, if it stays, I, too, feel that rep points, both + and -, need to be attributed to a user name. Yes...accountability. This debate was in full swing soon after I subscribed to HT. Because of that debate, if I leave rep, I make it a practice to always leave a comment and my user name, be it green or red. If a poster, esp. if given a red, wants to get into a tit for tat situation...so be it! It's only usenet! Well, not literally! I've received only one piece of cinnamon gum for which I felt I needed a reality check. So many of you were kind enough to respond in the affirmative. 99% of the time I feel red chiclets are just...well...little rectangles on a little dot of cyberland. In life's big picture...so what!!

Comment

I suppose there can be a lot of cp-trading going on when the awarded knows who gave them the positive points too. But the anonymous neggo-givers... that's pretty chickensh!t.

Happy New Year!

Comment

I keep hearing this word "accountability" tossed about, but really, what do you mean by it? If I give Mel some negative feedback and my name is attached to it, in what way will I be held accountable for this opinion? Will Mel tell everyone else that Scrivener gave him an unjust red square? Will everyone else gang up on me and repay the injustice with red squares of their own? Will I eventually be asked to leave for merely expressing my disapproval?

Look, I don't sign my positive or negative feedback because I want to avoid exactly what Cezanne is suggesting -- something that I suspect is already going on. When we sign our positive feedback, people often seem to feel led to return in kind, and that's bogus. If we approve of a post, we should indicate so, and when we disapprove, we should also indicate so. If we want to sign our feedback, I guess that's fine, but if we don't, that should be fine, too.

When people disapprove of the opinions I express, I don't really care (and neither should you, Mel). When people disapprove of the way I express my opinions, well, that's something I do care about. Have I been rude, uncivil, or insensitive? I'd like to know. And I'd like people to feel free to let me know without worrying that I'll focus on the person delivering the message and not the message itself. If Blaine sends me a red square, I don't want to start thinking, "Well, that's just Blaine," or "Of course Blaine disapproves -- he's a pinko commie." Rather, I'd like to focus on what it is I wrote that has led him to voice disapproval. That's why this stuff should remain anonymous. Blaine shouldn't have to worry about being held "accountable" for telling me that I've offended him. He's doing me a favor by telling me he disapproves AND by not telling me whose opinion it is.
              But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
              GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

...excuse me, what's a "pinko commie?"

Mahalo,

Lynn
                Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
                Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

Originally posted by helen
                  Someone giving you one negative reputation will only lower your overall score. From that it might lower you text level status from "spectacular reputation (550)" to "excellent reputation (450)". Maybe it might remove the bright green square from your ranking.
                  Would getting to many reds prevent posting? Disable my account? Anything like that?

Looking at the info for the rep system, I think the only thing it'd do would be to prevent me from giving gum.

Think of it as an experiment, just slam my rep with red to see if the red accumulates like the green...at a certain point would I get a bright red gum or is it limited to the one and they don't accumulate like the greens.

If my red chicklet remains at one red without gaining a second or more then the system is flawed.

At the end of the experiment if all I ever get is one red showing no matter how many reds get given experiment is over. Then all that'd have to be done is for every red anyone gives they do it up in green to get me back into at least two green marks again.

Otherwise I really don't pay attention to the thing...shoot I didn't realize I had a bright green mark till it was mentioned.
                  Last edited by Peshkwe; January 8, 2006, 05:18 AM.

Comment

In reply to Scrivener...

All those things you mentioned could be accomplished above board. If someone dislikes what another posted, let them say so and why, on the forum thread. I once got pretty nasty when fed up with a particular person following me around and posting only negative comments on my posts. I got red and green chicklets on the very same unsavory post. Most with no comments and only one identified herself-(Thanks). Maybe some feel that I shouldn't have posted such, but I did it in front of everyone, for all to see and agree or disagree. Not a sneaky behind the scenes slap and run. I feel the rep system is bogus and lame. I voted negatively on keeping it long ago. And I'd still like to opt out if can.
                    Life is either an adventure... or you're not doing it right!!!

Comment

Just wondering... what's the purpose of the poll and when does it end?

Comment

Originally posted by Peshkwe
                        Would getting to many reds prevent posting? Disable my account? Anything like that?
                        Right now, the answer is no, no and no.

Looking at the info for the rep system, I think the only thing it'd do would be to prevent me from giving gum.
                        Incorrect. Once your reputation score drops below 10 you still can mark post with your reputation, however the score you give to it will be awarded zero points and the recieveing user will get a gray square.

Think of it as an experiment, just slam my rep with red to see if the red accumulates like the green...at a certain point would I get a bright red gum or is it limited to the one and they don't accumulate like the greens.
                        I don't think this experiment will be nessecary, since we know by previous experience that the red squares will be added as more negative reputation is given to a user. You can check out the member list, sort by reputation and look at the last page (or click on the reputation column a second time).

Comment

Originally posted by 1stwahine
                          It's a derogatory way of referring to a communist. Which Blaine is not, of course. My point is that when people put their names on reputation feedback, there may be a tendency for the receiver of negative feedback to focus on the person who gave it, and not on the reason for the negative feedback.
                          But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
                          GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Originally posted by scrivener
                            It's a derogatory way of referring to a communist. Which Blaine is not, of course. My point is that when people put their names on reputation feedback, there may be a tendency for the receiver of negative feedback to focus on the person who gave it, and not on the reason for the negative feedback.
                            That I have to agree with you. When I give a reputation whether it's a negative or a postive I always leave my name. That way the person will know who sent it and if he or she wants to address why I gave it, we can discuss it. However, that is not always the case. I have always recieved a negative one back in retaliation.

Mahalo for the definition.

Lynn

Comment

Originally posted by 1stwahine
                              Back in the day, it was a way of insulting hippie types and/or those that had differing views from one's own. Archie Bunker and his ilk loved to use it.

Comment

Originally posted by kimo55
                                Back in the day, it was a way of insulting hippie types and/or those that had differing views from one's own. Archie Bunker and his ilk loved to use it.
                                ...so Kimo are you a pinko commie? hahahahahahahahah

no get mad, almost my birthday. hahahahahahahahahaha

Lynn

Comment

Working...
                                X