X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Reputation?

Originally posted by scrivener
    If HT turns into a place where we all agree on everything, it is probably going to die.

Nah! This place die? I doubt it. As long as people eat and want to discuss what they had for lunch, the place will continue to thrive. People like to have fun here and it is reflected on the great abundance of posts in the fun and light topics on this board. We all love movies, eating, TV, gossip about celebrities, and heck even the technology we use. Those topics are rarely political, and most of the time we are all in agreement.

The various "What for Lunch" today topics have had more than 10,000 views when you combine all 7 topic threads into one. The KauKau section of the board is spread to 13 pages. People here LOVE eating!!!!

I doubt too many people get red squares for posting about food.

And then there is "Lost" and soon again "American Idol." If there are a couple of Hawaii people on the latter show, I am sure a new American Idol topic will become extremely popular like the original ones did when Jasmine Trias was in the running. Throw in Tia Carrera in "Dancing with the Stars", there is no end to "safe" topics to keep the board alive.

Everyone here can just join in the big circle and sing "kumbaya!"

Just get rid of the reputation system and perhaps some of the other topics can be brought back to life without us posters having to worry about lousy red squares all of the time.
    Last edited by mel; January 9, 2006, 06:28 AM.
    I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Hmmmm..I stopped drinking a long time ago. However, Mel just told it like it is - Point BLANK! Way to GO Mel! BRAVO! My Papale off to you! Gosh, that shot of Crown Royal just tasted sooo good! Mmmmm.

Yep. soooo good!

Auntie Lynn
      Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
      Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

Originally posted by MadAzza
        ...so he takes anonymous, mildly vicious swings with his imaginary bat at people who make him feel inferior.

Those who leave anonymous negative rep marks are no better than trolls.
        You're saying that there is no way to use the rep system without abusing it, and I don't think that's correct. Are people misusing it? Sure. Is that the only way it can be used? I don't think so.

As I've said, I don't sign any of my rep comments, positive or negative, and it's got nothing to do with people making me feel inferior. As for trolling, it seems to me that trolling is the opposite of anonymous reputation -- trolls just want to get a rise out of you. Anonymous negative-rep-leavers are trying to express something without turning everything into a war.

Confronting a user like DannyCouchFanAddicts (or whatever the heck her name is) after the initial helpful, constructive posts is useless. It wasn't until posts got downright nasty that she got the message. I don't think this was the only way to get her to stop. In fact, I went to her website to get an email address (her profile didn't list it) and attempted to communicate with her that way, but my emails were ignored.

Call it chicken**** if you want, but I prefer to settle things peacefully. I said what I had to say, and beyond that the only recourse that gave me any satisfaction was to leave negative feedback. It wasn't a drive-by shooting; it was voicing disapproval without adding fuel to the fire.

I'm sure I can think of other examples, but in truth, I don't find many reasons to award negative rep at all. I understand that you don't, but to make a sweeping generalization that anyone who does is lily-livered and weak-kneed is perhaps not considering everyone's perspective.

As for anonymous positive rep, I'm not one for hugs (ask Ryan), but I'll send someone a friendly encouragement to continue to contribute when someone posts something especially insightful, well-written, or helpful. I don't see a dang thing wrong with that. Sometimes when people post positive responses, it seems their primary interest is calling attention to themselves. I prefer not to play that way, and it annoys me that you're suggesting it's wimpy or useless. Have you truly never received anonymous notes of encouragement (I don't mean just here -- I mean wherever) that you appreciated?
        But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
        GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Originally posted by mel
          some turkey who is probably singling me out ... gave me a red square.
          Make it "doubling" you out. Some chicken-sh!t anonymously gave me a red one for a post in this thread, too.

Comment

Originally posted by Leo Lakio

Some chicken-sh!t anonymously gave me a red one for a post in this thread, too.
            And the "mayhem" continues.

Try thinking about it this way: who has the most to lose if the Reputation System goes away? And I don't necessarily mean in the form of green chiclets, either.

Comment

Originally posted by mel
              On another note, the vBulletin software allows the admin to offer users the option to opt in or opt out of the reputation system.

User Reputation Doc at vBulletin Site

So how about that? Give the users the option to opt in or out of the reputation system. It can be done if the vBulletin doc is to be believed.
              From the manual that mel found:

Allow Users to Hide Their Reputation
              If a user hides their reputation, their reputation level will display "User has disabled reputation". The benefit of this is that it allows users who find the system distasteful can choose to not have their posts rated.

This generates more issues and questions. For instance if one hides their reputation that means whatever post they did can't be rated (either postive or negative) which is what you wanted. Now can they rate other people's post? If not that's okay with me. If so I hoping that whatever post their rate will be a grey squared zero valued reputation.

And even if the vBulletin system prevents users who hide their reputation from awarding reputation, what's to stop a user from temporary turning this feature off, rate someone else's post with their fully rated reputation power and then turning the feature back on.

Comment

You're saying that there is no way to use the rep system without abusing it, and I don't think that's correct.
                No, that is NOT what I'm saying. Not at all. Please don't put words in my mouth (unless they're somehow chocolate flavored). I'm saying the system lends itself to abuse. The potential is there. I certainly did not suggest that every single use of the rep system is corrupt.

I prefer not to play that way, and it annoys me that you're suggesting it's wimpy or useless. Have you truly never received anonymous notes of encouragement (I don't mean just here -- I mean wherever) that you appreciated?
                1. You're annoyed at your misinterpretation of my post. Easy fix.
                2. Yes, of course I have received anonymous notes of encouragement that I appreciated. Do you have me confused with someone else? I honestly don't know what you're referring to here, but none of this sounds like anything I said.

Comment

I'm sure I can think of other examples, but in truth, I don't find many reasons to award negative rep at all. I understand that you don't, but to make a sweeping generalization that anyone who does is lily-livered and weak-kneed is perhaps not considering everyone's perspective.
                  OK, now I get it. I was referring specifically to Blaine's post with the link to his earlier post that garnered a red mark. The reason you are offended or "annoyed" by my post is because you are the one who left that red mark. Now I get it! I didn't understand that before. I didn't sleep at all last night, so please forgive my lapse. I'm a little slow today.

OK, so yes, I do think that was pretty wimpy of you. See? I can say it up front; I'm not going to scurry around trying to find a post of yours to put a red mark on. I don't think Blaine's earlier post was at all deserving of a red mark. Obviously, you feel otherwise. Would you mind explaining that one? It seemed like a pretty innocuous post.

Comment

I've given in to the dark side.

Comment

Originally posted by mel
                      Nah! This place die? I doubt it. As long as people eat and want to discuss what they had for lunch, the place will continue to thrive.
                      well, mel, it would be a dead board if it is reduced to:
                      i had waddah today!

Comment

What I wonder about and have no data to confirm is whether or not the reputation system discourages new members from staying and actively participating - perhaps admin could do an analysis to find out. I do agree with Mel that I rarely post opinions on controversial subjects. I got red squared for doing so and though that's not the sole reason for avoiding such topics, it isn't ecouraging.

Comment

Can some of you please explain to me exactly why reputation points on a message board have become a matter of such apparent importance to cause all this fuss?
                          This isn't life or death here, folks. There are starving children in third-world countries... hurricane victims... and an endless supply of things right here in Hawai`i that need and deserve our attention. I can't help but wonder how much good we could do (like we did with Auntie's slippah project) if we spent more time on those subjects and a helluva lot less time on worrying about freakin ' reputation points on a message board.
                          I've earned a whole lot of red chiclets, mostly from the Honolulu Weakly and Tiny and DCFanAddict threads, but frankly... who cares? I care what my family thinks of me, but other than that... pfffbbbtttt. Red chiclets don't affect my family or my career or my health one iota. And I also don't think most people here even bother to check someone else's reputation.
                          The whole reputation thing is a cute little function, but basically totally meaningless.
                          So why all the fuss?
                          Just curious.
                          Carry on.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

Guess there's just enough negativism in the world. I come to HawaiiThreads to learn what's going on, to share ideas, laugh, offer suggestions and of course state my opinion. Who needs red or for that matter green chicklets. I say negative because those are the ones (Red Rep) that the poster is not willing to say in front of the crowd. The green ones though nice really make no difference. Just write what you think in the forums.
                            Life is either an adventure... or you're not doing it right!!!

Comment

Im new so I can only go by what I have read.... it seems that if you dont like what someone says you ding them... how can that create a feeling of aloha if everytime you say something that might be against the grain or a different side of a subject you get demerit points put next to your name.

so instead of weighing in on a forum you sit back and dont participate... what fun is that? shouldnt everyone be welcome to post their feelings or opinions without fear of reprisal? of course there are some who wont care about the dings an just post what they want anyway

so really whats the point?
                              Support Lung Cancer Research

Comment

Originally posted by MadAzza
                                OK, now I get it. I was referring specifically to Blaine's post with the link to his earlier post that garnered a red mark. The reason you are offended or "annoyed" by my post is because you are the one who left that red mark.
                                Actually, no. I don't give negative rep feedback for posts I disagree with, and in fact never clicked Blaine's link to see what post he was talking about. In not doing so, I sorta forgot that you were writing specifically about THAT user leaving THAT feedback, so the apology is mine to offer to you.

What I thought I was reading was that anyone who leaves negative feedback is a loser who "gets no satisfaction from his intellect, his job performance, or his romantic life..." when that's not what you said at all.

Again, sorry about that.

And just for clarity's sake: if I leave negative feedback, I'll do it anonymously, but you'll know why I left it. And it won't be for posting an opinion I disagree with.
                                But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
                                GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Working...
                                X