Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Where'd You Get Your HawaiiThreads Name?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Where'd You Get Your HawaiiThreads Name?

Originally posted by kimo55
    yea. i remember when aol was about the only game in town.
    those were the archaic "good ol days."
    yaah! it was a blast, i remember staying up till 4am and having to go to work at 7am...

Comment

Originally posted by kaipo
      Here in the states....
      uh-oh.........

Comment

I remember taking a web site devel. class which was free when you get internet access. this was in mid/early nineties. Dude said;

ok, as soon as you launch or post your web site, you will have people looking at it. and you will see your counter uptick. and some may send you a message electronically.
        i thot. cool! and sure enuff, people would email and say "wow cool, love your site!" cuz there were so few web sites back in the day. and people were hungry for "content" and to explore this brave new world...

Comment

Originally posted by Leo Lakio
          uh-oh.........
          ya think about it

here in the states
          is perfectly appropriate. It is a plurality. we are no a plurality.

Comment

ya think about it
            here in the states
            is perfectly appropriate. It is a plurality. we are no a plurality.
            No need to think about it again - we've done so in many other threads, and I know exactly what you are saying. I was surprised no one else had made note of it yet, on one side of the coin or another...or another...or...well, you know this coin; it has more than two simple sides.

Comment

*removing foot from mouth*...didn't even think of it like that. LOL.
              "Dont put of 'til tomorrow what you can forget about completely!!!"

Comment

Originally posted by kaipo
                *removing foot from mouth*...didn't even think of it like that. LOL.
                Don't worry. It's an interesting point of discussion many times over. Some people get huffy: "Hawai`i IS in the States, you know." Some people counter: "True, but it shouldn't be" or "Yeah...illegally."

Then there's a very large middle ground, emphasizing "yes, technically it is, but the distinct and unique characteristics of the location, the cultures, the Hawaiian Nation, the history, etc., mean it is IN the States, but it ain't OF the States" (or some similar variation that says "we'd be happier if you DIDN'T include us, thank you very much.")

Either way, it's good to be conscious of it. There's another thread where I asked people to suggest alternatives to saying "the mainland." Some creative thinkers provided responses there.
                we ARE a "state", sure.
                physically, we aren't "in the states". and that is what people are doing when they say "here in the states," they are saying
                here on the mainland.
                most, I don't think, aren't saying
                "HERE in this unique land of America which you natives know so little about..."
                Yeah. What he said.
                Last edited by Leo Lakio; August 9, 2006, 11:39 AM. Reason: backwards toward the future

Comment

we ARE a "state", sure.
                  physically, we aren't "in the states". and that is what people are doing when they say "here in the states," they are saying
                  here on the mainland.
                  most, I don't think, aren't saying
                  "HERE in this unique land of America which you natives know so little about..."

Comment

This is an easy one....I currently live in California,so i'm Caliguy :-)

Comment

Originally posted by Caliguy
                      This is an easy one....I currently live in California,so i'm Caliguy :-)
                      Welcome, Caliguy. Judging from your other posts, you are from Guam, yes? How long did you live there, and how long have you been away?

Comment

In another life, I was an artist. Me and a friend were going to draw comic books and I invented a story and character and everything, his name was Hellbent. Ive used it online alot. Once I flew to Canadia and some online friends were there to pick me up. The sign said "Hellbent". I wonder what kind of looks they got.

Also see my sig. I'm not a satanist, I dont have any extraspecial urge for leather, and I didnt play a game called Hellbender. Friends have commented on my focus and intensity when I do a project.
                        Aquaponics in Paradise !

Comment

hello everyone. was referred here by ryan ozawa and have been lurking for a while. anyway, ever since "the internet" i've had a hard time choosing a handle or username and always wind up just using my name.

*sigh*

anyway, hello hawaiithreads. nice to hear you have such a strong voice. i'm listening!

christa
                          life is ok sometimes

Comment

I've been Fat Jeff on the MTBR.com boards for years now. It's a twist on "Fat Mike" the singer/bassist from NOFX & Me First & the Gimme Gimmes. It's also a pretty good description of me...I'm Jeff, & I'm fat. It works, and too many times on other sign in situations my 1st choice of "Captain Obvious" is usually taken.

Comment

yea. i remember when aol was about the only game in town.
                              those were the archaic "good ol days."
                              Funny to be reminiscing about 1993! 'Back then' I was using a FirstClass client to access that little bit of the internet called OneNet. I'm slightly surprised they both still exist. Anyway, I just used my given name back then and pitied those on aol who could only use numbers.

Peter Forster
                              Cheltenham

Comment

my first exposure to Hawaiian cuisine was way back in February 1994 at a training camp in Koke'e.One night our Hawaiian chef,who was also one of our kumus, served up a huge dish of white jellylike dessert - you just cut off what you want and come back for more if there is any left.
                                Being haole from far away australia,every taste of hawaiian food was a taste sensation,but this Haupia as it was called,was like I had died and gone to heaven!
                                So when I got internet,it was easy to make up a name.(" nobody tink o' dat name ,brah").
                                Haupia is still my dessert of choice, especially with lilikoi.

Comment

Working...
                                X