Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Where'd You Get Your HawaiiThreads Name?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Where'd You Get Your HawaiiThreads Name?

I chose acousticlady because it is an accurate description of me. I do acoustics and I'm a lady (one of the very few in acoustics) I actually had a hard time picking a name. I was worried the other names I could think of that accurately described me would come across in the wrong way - "beachbaby" - cause I'm born and bred....... "Aunt Jill" - cause I'm called that by many....... "waverider" - cause I do and I study all kinds of waves (ocean, sound, light, particle......)

Comment

Originally posted by acousticlady View Post
      I do acoustics and I'm a lady (one of the very few in acoustics)
      Here's to you being part of a changing dynamic. Several of the best audio engineers I've known are women, here in Seattle and in Vancouver BC. A glass ceiling that can be shattered by sound waves!

Comment

Tatt for tattoos, I have many. Rat cause it rhymed. Nothing special.
        flickr

An email from God:
        To: People of Earth
        Date: 9/04/2007
        Subject: stop

knock it off, all of you

seriously, what the hell

--
        God

Comment

I'm a ferret IRL. My avatar's just a disguise.

Comment

Originally posted by makepagirl View Post
            it's our ohana's name..my grandma luka's granddad was john makepa kamauoha, but his son(her dad) was samuel (kamuela) makepa..it's my dad, brother & nephew's name too..much easier with geneaolgy sites too..since using it,i've been found by my grandma's uncles descendants on line..2 sent me messages here on hawaiithreads!! also grandma's hanai daughter who's been away from hawaii over 40 yrs..sooo..it's pretty special to me..
            I just barely read all of this but I got to say I have confusing name issues with one line of my Hawaiian 'ohana which is the line I research the most because they are elusive. lol. They liked to ditch last names, then the middle name becomes the last name for the next generation. It's confusing. Why did they do that? Was it common? Never heard any family gossip about it. *looks through cyberspace for Pua'i to kokua* I have some kanaka family who did that as recent as the early 1900s.

THEN when I get waaay back in da day (1700s and early 1800s) I get 3 different spellings on one surname and two different locations they came from, but same makua and keiki, same birth dates, birth order, etc., what is up with that?

Among my most confusing is one line that ends (no other information) with the inoa Uha or Aa or Uiha and they are either from Kahuku, O'ahu or Waiehu, Maui. LDS paperwork and my other sources of information no can make up their minds. I won't give up on that elusive branch of my family though, I will find out the correct inoa yet.

I love that you have been contacted by random family members, it's happened to me as well. I've had lurking family on HT recognize the family names I put out there. I've been PM'ed with, "Eh, I your cousin?" We compare notes and so far all have been related. The islands are already so close it's like maybe 3 degrees of seperation, add Hawaiian ancestry to that and it's like 1 degree or less.

It's nice to find that one gem in your family who knows everything you could ever dream of finding out. I found that gem (through the LDS church) related to me through one line that I knew nothing about past being from Kahuku side (eh, I get plenty Kahuku/Waialua/Laie family, lol). Come to find out that part of my family hails from Ni'ihau. The reason I didn't find her previously is because she had my great x2 tutu's name spelt wrong on her paperwork and it didn't come up on search. The mistake was as simple as her using two a's on the first part of her name instead of 2 o's. Now I got so much information about that side it amazes me. Hawaiian ancestry research is interesting, you find a lot of yourself and who you are through it.
            I'm disgusted and repulsed, and I can't look away.

Comment

MonkeyMan from the Rolling Stones... that and I call my kid "Monkey Boy" all the time.
              Well I am just a monkey man, I'm glad you are a monkey woman too.

Comment

Originally posted by LeiKaina View Post
                I just barely read all of this but I got to say I have confusing name issues with one line of my Hawaiian 'ohana which is the line I research the most because they are elusive. lol. They liked to ditch last names, then the middle name becomes the last name for the next generation. It's confusing. Why did they do that? Was it common? Never heard any family gossip about it.
                I don't know about Hawaiians, but I've heard that back in old Tonga they they'd change their name to signify that they are a changed person.

In traditional western culture, a woman changes her name when she marries. In some Christan sects, the members take upon them the name of Christ when they are baptized. You can read in the Old Testament that God changed the name of Abram and Sarai to Abraham and Sarah. Those are just examples from another culture, but they illustrate the concept - the person's status has changed. I don't know of what kinds of events would prompt the change. You'd have to ask around some more.

Then there are hanai adoptions. That could play a part in this.

Comment

As for my HT name? I came here because of the Geocaching sub-board. My GPS is a Garmin Geko. So, being the engineer I am, and lacking any real orginality.......

Comment

Originally posted by GeckoGeek View Post
                    In traditional western culture, a woman changes her name when she marries.
                    I've got two female relatives who recently became a doctor. One in pharmacy, the other in gynecology. One is about to get married, the other already married. Both are using/will use their MAIDEN last name for their professional practice. "Dr. MaidenLastName", while in their private life they use/will use their married name.
                    sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

Originally posted by TATTRAT View Post
                      Tatt for tattoos, I have many. Rat cause it rhymed. Nothing special.
                      Love the one on your face...looks like eggs
                      Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

craigwatanabe,

howsa bout this one?

that is NOT me, just another egg man,lol
                        flickr

An email from God:
                        To: People of Earth
                        Date: 9/04/2007
                        Subject: stop

knock it off, all of you

seriously, what the hell

--
                        God

Comment

howsa bout this one?
                          So, if you broke that egg over his head to make that, would you call him a CRACK HEAD?
                          sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

Originally posted by Carolina tutu View Post
                            I am brand new at this, I got my computer for Christmas a year ago and the grandkids are teaching me how to use it. So I just came up with my name. I love being a grandma, "Tutu" and I am from South Carolina. Because I lived in Hawaii 7 years I cheat and call myself "Tutu". I am a wantabe.........

Aloha Tutu,

In my Native American culture we call a "wannabee" a Twinkle Bunny!

OH!! How rude of me! I haven't introduced myself!

I am brand new here.

And my HTC name is my own name!

Sharmagne

I live in Southern California and Arlington, Washington...

Comment

craigwatanabe,

howsa bout this one?

I am the Walrus! Koo Koo Ka Chu!

Comment

I was urged by someone to register to this site, and while I was doing that I was thinking what should my user name be? I looked at my cat whose name is Beauregard, and decided to use the abbreviated name I usually call him which is Beau.

Comment

Working...
                                X