X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Honoruru
    replied
    Re: Aloha from Rene in Walton, NY

By the way, I think I forgot to say something.

Welcome to Hawaii Threads, Rene!

Leave a comment:

• LikaNui
    replied

Originally posted by LikaNui View Post
    Reminds me of my ex-wife.
    Originally posted by acousticlady View Post
    Ahhh.... Plaintiff.... haven't heard about her in a long time.
    Gee, I thought Leo Lakio would be the first to notice that I left off her name. [/wave to LL]
    And as usual, I need to note that it was Glenn Frey of the Eagles who originally coined that joke. He was introducing a song during the Hell Freezes Over concert and dedicated the song "to my ex-wife, Plaintiff." A brilliantly classic line.
    And to stay on topic and somewhat avoid the dreaded thread drift... perhaps Glenn thought of that line while he was in New York.
    Welcome to HT, Rene!

Leave a comment:

• acousticlady
    replied

Originally posted by LikaNui View Post
    Ahhh.... Plantiff.... haven't heard about her in a long time. How is she?

By the way, Rene, welcome to HT. I'm in your neck of the woods.

Leave a comment:

• LikaNui
    replied

Originally posted by Honoruru View Post
    I was sound asleep and would hear someone shout "REPENT!"

Leave a comment:

• tutusue
    replied

Originally posted by Honoruru View Post
    [...]Unfortunately, the only time she watched television was at two or three in the morning. And the only programs she watched were religious programs. That scared the hell out of me! Especially when I was sound asleep and would hear someone shout "REPENT!"
    Remember, there are no coincidences, Honoruru! Everything happens for a reason!

Leave a comment:

• Honoruru
    replied

Originally posted by rene View Post
    ..i can't even imagine being so close to neighbors that i could hear their television...
    Believe it or not, this is very true for Hawaii, probably more so on Oahu than on the neighbor islands. Houses here are built very close to one another.

This is also true for condos and apartment buildings. A long time ago I lived in a studio apartment and my next door neighbor was an old woman in her 80s. She was hard of hearing, so she turned up the volume of her television all the way. Unfortunately, the only time she watched television was at two or three in the morning. And the only programs she watched were religious programs. That scared the hell out of me! Especially when I was sound asleep and would hear someone shout "REPENT!"

Leave a comment:

• Vanilla
    replied

Believe it or not, it is a $500K home too. Sure, that was prices before the downturn, but houses in my hood are around $400K.

There is a lot to get used to, there is a lot to enjoy. If you keep your mind open and roll with things, it can be a life-changing experience. I learn something new every day here.

Leave a comment:

• rene
    replied

sounds lovely..except..i can't even imagine being so close to neighbors that i could hear their television....i guess that'll be something to get used too....or learn to tune out.....i imagine there on kauai the populated areas are concentrated.....

Leave a comment:

• Vanilla
    replied

Aloha Rene!

Right at this moment, I hear the doves cooing, the wind is coming in a bit from the leeward side. Semi-cloudy on the south shore, but west side looks clear from where I sit.

Someone just mowed grass so that smell mixes with a bit of plumeria from my tree.

My neighbor's TV is kinda loud, but I only hear it when I listen.

Aloha from Kauai!

Leave a comment:

• rene
    replied

i'm sure i'll love kauai.....just can't wait to get there...i'm counting down the days....

Leave a comment:

• rene
    replied
    Re: More

thanks for the info...i'll be looking for a car when i arrive...i contacted usaa, i think i'll probably be eliglible...thanks so much, rene

Leave a comment:

• Vanilla
    replied

Aloha Kaonohi,

I just made my first post on this board. I feel ya on never leaving Kauai once you get here. I cling to this round rock in the Pacific like a mo'o to the ceiling.

Leave a comment:

• Kaonohi
    replied
    More

Hi again rene.
    I'll try to answer some questions.
    Originally posted by rene View Post
    starting in kauai::::experienced registered nurse who has emergency room experience-A GOOD thing! ::::i am staying until mid april and if all goes well...i'd like to return every winterWhy not just Stay forever?::::i'd like to purchase an inexpensive car when i arrive to avoid the high cost of rentals::::budget of about $2000 to buy a car Should not be a problem. ::::tell me how expensive is basic car insurance EXPENSIVE!!! Can you qualify for USAA??? ::::you carry the registration and safety inspection from owner to next owner...is this true? TRUE. ::::is it possible to inexpensively ship a car from island to island::: Not an inexpensive car. Better 0ff having a car on each island (assuming frequent visits) and a comprehensive policy. USAA insures me for ANY car I drive.
    Welcome - Aloha.
    I have contacts for a B&B on Kauai in Hanalei area. Nice. East-Coast folk.

Leave a comment:

• Kaonohi
    replied

Welcome.
    My Nurse spouse (R.N., P.A., 2 MA degrees) is currently clinging to position at Kaiser... which is throwing our the invested in favor of 'new blood.'

Positions are around, but there's much competition. Getting the foot in the door and showcasing your skills is a good strategy.

If I ever get back to Kauai, I swear I will never leave again - for ANY reason save temporary visitation.

Consider it.

Leave a comment:

• cyleet99
    replied

Aloha and welcome, rene! Sending you a PM (private message.)

Leave a comment:

Working...
X