X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kailoa
    replied
    Re: My name is Brah

Welina mai! Take your shoes off, come on in and talk story.

Leave a comment:

• Merely Malihini
    replied

Okay...after a little time to consider various aspects from the outsider's point of view --here goes:

The article appears to address the effects of western colonizing of indigenous people in general and in Hawai’i specifically.

In some of my online reading, I can across the work of UH professor Dr. Ty Tengan whose writings about the organizing of the Hale Mua organization for males with native backgrounds to regain knowledge of traditional ways that are very kane specific. http://scholarspace.manoa.hawaii.edu/handle/10125/1224

I read he believes that much of the overall “image” of islands and the "self image" many Hawaiian men have of themselves has been subjugated by the more feminine aspects of the culture--including the widely spread image of such things as the hula. (I personally like it. Some the music/dances can lower your blood pressure, I do believe!)

(I do know that some guys do hula in the traditionally based halau but definitely not many!...but more usually have brush with doing it as part of school but that usually is extent of it from what I gather. I think it's always about the malos! ...However,it seems when kane do a kahiko, like on Merrie Monarch dvd I saw, sounds like the wahine go crazy!--That counters the previous note about BP for them!) Anyway...

Dr Tengan also says that football serves as a stand in for part of the traditional warrior class and culture of old times and that's why the sport, especially at UH, has such a draw/involvement--re: recent coach change.

Ergo the strife in attempting to live in two worlds as the article mentioned in this thread earlier describes. A place where Hawai'i promotes itself as a vacation resort for those who can pay the price...but much of the take goes to the hotels, airlines and rent a cars! (How many fly to middle of Pacific and have biggest meal at Hard Rock Cafe and buy a cap!)

Will it be necessary for more of the main stream Native/hapa people (especially men) to do similar to what Dr. Tengan documented to get back a lost identity...and then build from there to help solve the problems?

Again all very interesting from this side of the ocean but hope I am getting a better insight by using this forum. Mahalo... to Brah and to the HT community! (Now going to get back on sideline and "zip it" (mouth) again!)

Leave a comment:

• Merely Malihini
    replied

Originally posted by brah View Post
    Hijack away. Please say what's on your mind.
    Thanks, Brah:

One thing...much of the inherited "culture" seems to be "handed down" by many fairly well known and widely spread sayings...such as the one that translated states "open the ears and eyes... and keep mouth shut!"

Let me remain silent for a while longer and let me work on a good reply or observation that I can place before everyone to think about. The article mentioned before on this thread seems a good jumping off point.

Mahalo!

Leave a comment:

• brah
    replied

Hijack away. Please say what's on your mind.

Originally posted by Merely Malihini View Post
    I just wished to interject that these exchanges are very interesting to read and compare with what I have come to know about the hidden Hawaiian culture. (I also read the linked article, for instance.) I also don't want to hijack thread by saying much more!

Leave a comment:

• Menehune Man
    replied
    Re: Our name is that which we are.

You need to earn it by living up to the standard set by our ancestors.
    Sustainable living is the goal... not over indulgence to our destruction.
    Leaving a smaller footprint is what we should strive for. IMHO.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carbon_footprint

Leave a comment:

• Merely Malihini
    replied

I just wished to interject that these exchanges are very interesting to read and compare with what I have come to know about the hidden Hawaiian culture. (I also read the linked article, for instance.) I also don't want to hijack thread by saying much more!

Leave a comment:

• Leo Lakio
    replied

Originally posted by Kaonohi View Post
    Perhaps you have Hawaiian ancestors. What do you live? What do you practice? THAT is what makes you who you are. Otherwise you are just riding on the coattails of others who cut trail before you.
    Being born a Hawaiian is not enough. You need to earn it by living up to the standard set by our ancestors.
    Now you guys are saying something here I can respect and grasp. Mahalo, Brah, for coming back and making the efforts to correct your initial impression. And for the link to that article; I need to read it more than once and let it sit in my lolo po`o for awhile.

Leave a comment:

• brah
    replied

I completely agree with everything you have said Kaonohi. Thank you so much for articulating it so beautifully. It is not about where we come from or the state that we are in. Rather what is important is the state that we want to be and how we are willing to support each other in getting to that state.

Is it not so?

I will respect any one from any culture that follows the Hawaiian way better than someone with native blood. I understand that there will adjustment because we are in the modern world. But, I will respect anyone who lives in the spirit of my ancestors. I will respect them more than someone who is of Hawaiian blood who does not live in this way.

Being born a Hawaiian is not enough. You need to earn it by living up to the standard set by our ancestors.

Originally posted by Kaonohi View Post
    My HT friend, Pua`i Mana`o, said that anyone with any Hawaiian ancestry (blood) was "Native Hawaiian." Well, I suppose that is one definition, but by that definition I would be Native Polish, Native Mongol, Native Tahitian, Native Maori, Native French, etc. I think there is only one race - the human race.

Frankly, I think that "being Hawaiian," or being a part of any other culture, is embracing the cultural values. Living as a Hawaiian makes you a Hawaiian - otherwise you're just another American. Native American Indians living on reservations in their modified traditional style qualify as "Native American." Living in the city they are just Americans. What are Hawaiians today? They are permitted cultural evolution, but what makes a Hawaiian today?

I would suppose a minimum would be embracing the concepts of "pono" and "Aloha," but it is not for me to say. Not for me to define.

Do you embrace the old gods? Ku, Kane, Lono, Kanaloa and `I`o? Pele, Hi`iaka? What qualifies you as a native Hawaiian?? Blood is not enough.

Perhaps you have Hawaiian ancestors. What do you live? What do you practice? THAT is what makes you who you are. Otherwise you are just riding on the coattails of others who cut trail before you.

Climb the mountain; cut the trail. Earn your place - you cannot just claim it based on your family.

Three times I have tried to add to this, and each time my computer/ethernet tells me it is not so. I will abide by the Polynesian law of four, and stop now. It is evidently enough, for now.

Ka`onohi`ula

Leave a comment:

• Menehune Man
    replied

The thing is Matapule that most of the Hawaiians left are hapa - something, from many different races so that is the Hawaiians. In Fiji (where I also know and love) most Fijians are 100% though there are growing numbers of Kailoma (hapa-).

And Brah, I know Hawaiians have been stripped of lots of 'used to be's' and trying to perpetuate those are commendable. I think individuals, families, communities, and on can choose how they wish to live and what they believe in now a days while having to excist within this modern society. Takes a good charismatic leader to get people onboard in all endeavors so they'd be willing to do the difficult choices for change.

Leave a comment:

• Kaonohi
    replied
    Our name is that which we are.

If you want to know what my motive is and where I'm coming from. It was this article that sparked a domino of emotions within me. I realized that us Native Hawaiians are dying off because we are losing our culture. This makes me feel desperate. I can't just silently watch this. But it is so difficult to explain to people where I'm coming from.

My HT friend, Pua`i Mana`o, said that anyone with any Hawaiian ancestry (blood) was "Native Hawaiian." Well, I suppose that is one definition, but by that definition I would be Native Polish, Native Mongol, Native Tahitian, Native Maori, Native French, etc. I think there is only one race - the human race.

Frankly, I think that "being Hawaiian," or being a part of any other culture, is embracing the cultural values. Living as a Hawaiian makes you a Hawaiian - otherwise you're just another American. Native American Indians living on reservations in their modified traditional style qualify as "Native American." Living in the city they are just Americans. What are Hawaiians today? They are permitted cultural evolution, but what makes a Hawaiian today?

I would suppose a minimum would be embracing the concepts of "pono" and "Aloha," but it is not for me to say. Not for me to define.

Do you embrace the old gods? Ku, Kane, Lono, Kanaloa and `I`o? Pele, Hi`iaka? What qualifies you as a native Hawaiian?? Blood is not enough.

Climb the mountain; cut the trail. Earn your place - you cannot just claim it based on your family.

Three times I have tried to add to this, and each time my computer/ethernet tells me it is not so. I will abide by the Polynesian law of four, and stop now. It is evidently enough, for now.

Ka`onohi`ula

Last edited by Kaonohi; December 17, 2011, 07:35 PM. Reason: Exceptional correctness.

Leave a comment:

• anapuni808
    replied

Matapule - you have to watch your punctuation! A lower case "n" has a different meaning than the upper case "N" that Brah used.

Leave a comment:

• matapule
    replied

I am mixed. But a lot more Indo than anything else.
    I realized that us Native Hawaiians are dying off because we are losing our culture.
    I guess it is all a matter of semantics, what is a "native Hawaiian"? By my understanding, a "native Hawaiian" is 100% ehtnic Hawaiian,,,,born and reared in the Hawaiian Islands, but maybe I'm wrong.

Leave a comment:

• brah
    replied

What I am saying is in line with Prophet Kapihe's prophecy. He talked about the re-establishment of a cosmic order that was disturbed earlier. The sky God Wakea, ancestor of gods and human beings will then return to the proper position. Milo, the god of the underworld and the dead, now returns to his realm below. The world will no longer be ruled exceptionally by the sickness and death that us Hawaiians have been experiencing. Instead we will re-instate the rightful god of cosmic fertility.
    It was the Christians that instated the single god. Us Hawaiians have always had a multiplicity of gods.

Our Hawaiian culture has been messed with and sullified. It is from these sullified waters that we drink. That is why we are getting sick. It is time to clean the waters of Hawaii. That is all I am saying. If that makes me a criminal. Punish me.

Leave a comment:

• brah
    replied

If you want to know what my motive is and where I'm coming from. It was this article that sparked a domino of emotions within me. I realized that us Native Hawaiians are dying off because we are losing our culture. This makes me feel desperate. I can't just silently watch this. But it is so difficult to explain to people where I'm coming from.

http://www.islandscene.com/Article.aspx?id=4129

Leave a comment:

• Menehune Man
    replied

Originally posted by Pedro View Post
    Hello Brah,
    Greatings.. I am Pete but you can call me Pedro.. I am back in the islands for good. I was in Utah and Ohio for a bit but glad to be back home.. Lol
    Although Pete's a Pedro he's a Brah too!
    Really good seeing you again buddy!

Leave a comment:

Working...
X