• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Aloha From Big Island

peekohmango

Comment

add some pork n' beans, mayo, and bread, and you've got dinner!!

Comment

Originally posted by SouthKona
        Yeah, well, this family has been on the Big Island for generations, and we're sticking to "Big Island". (Makes me also think about those who lived here way back, before English was spoken: they did not say "Hawaii Island", as "island" is not a Hawaiian word.)
        In any case, we will stick to the names Big Island, Kamuela, and pickled mango.
        hey iam from texas ...what ever happened to the word BIG KAHONA...lol i love hawaii and the beautiful people how live there i want to come live there myself , you are all so nice

Comment

Originally posted by pmansker
          ..what ever happened to the word BIG KAHONA...
          that would be
          two words...
          and....
          never heard the phrase.

Comment

Originally posted by kimo55
            that would be
            two words...
            and....
            never heard the phrase.
            Probably means "big kahuna" - who wants to tackle the incorrectness of using that phrase now?

Comment

Originally posted by Leo Lakio

Probably means "big kahuna" - who wants to tackle the incorrectness of using that phrase now?
              "Big Kahuna" is the name of a local higher-end furniture company that, after being in business here for almost a year, abruptly declared bankruptcy a couple of weeks ago, leaving in the lurch creditors and outraged customers who had paid for their never-to-be-delivered furniture in advance. Their TV commercials would feature employees dressed up in Italian mafia-style outfits and doing bad imitations of Tony "Scarface" Montana. They were so clueless.

Da Big Kahuna wen come take care them.

Comment

Originally posted by lurkah
                "Big Kahuna" is the name of a local higher-end furniture company that, after being in business here for almost a year, abruptly declared bankruptcy a couple of weeks ago, leaving in the lurch creditors and outraged customers who had paid for their never-to-be-delivered furniture in advance. Their TV commercials would feature employees dressed up in Italian mafia-style outfits and doing bad imitations of Tony "Scarface" Montana. They were so clueless.

Da Big Kahuna wen come take care them.
                Lurkah: there was a store in "your" boonies that had the name "Big Kahuna???" No wonder it went out of business. Even if people in da boonies could make the connection between "Big Kahuna" and Hawai'i, how many would think that "Hawaiian" furniture was upscale? Most "tourists" only know fake bamboo and rattan as "Hawaiian" furniture. And if their commercials had Goombahs, how the heck do you get from Hawaii (or even surfer California) to Italian? What kind of furniture did they sell anyway, leather kine?

Miulang
                "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Miulang

What kind of furniture did they sell anyway, leather kine?
                  They sold bedroom and living room type furniture. It didn't matter what brand or kinda as there was nothing Hawaiian-ish about it. They just used the "Big Kahuna" name as an attention-getting gimmick, dressed up as mafiosos and said tacky stuff on their TV ads such as, "We'll make you offers you can't refuse." I wonder if anybody put contracts out on them for sticking it to their customers like that when they abruptly shut down and disappeared.

Comment

Originally posted by tutusue
                    Welcome to HT's little corner of the cyber world!

Ummm...with all due respect, I have to ask this question! What does an Aussie look like? My assistant is Australian and, well, looks...caucasian. It's not 'til she speaks that one can detect where she's from. Ditto for a director I work with. The only common denominators between the 2 of them are they're both slender, both have narrow faces and both have fine features. A singer I know here is a Maori from New Zealand. Again, 'til she speaks she could easily appear to be from Hawaii as she pulls a slight bit on the hapa side. So, seriously, I'm interested in learning what distinguishes an Aussie's 'look'.

Hmmm...I heard the construction issue was Donald Trump's fault!
                    LOL I was was told by an African American man that I looked Austrailian and I wasn't sure what that meant, but I guess you sorta answered it. I am slender, I do have angular features (narrow face, feet, hands), I also have brown hair and a continually tanned (or slightly sunburned ) face.

Good day mate!

Comment

Originally posted by kimo55
                      may as well hear it sooner than later:
                      kama'aina say: It has a name; Hawaii. Refer to it by name;
                      Hawaii island.
                      For the Big Islanders living in the most rural parts of the Big Island,using the term Big Island is a term of endearmeant. There are just certain cultural/superstition things you don't do here (or do to the land) that are not known outside of the Big Island.
                      Also refering to the Big Island as Hawaii or Hawaii Island to a visitior creates all kinds of confusion.

Comment

Originally posted by drewb
                        you are out of your mind...Oprah has bought over 100 acres on Maui near Hana to save it from development...........PS your english is terrible
                        I beg to differ about my use of the english language. Try reading my post again, faster and in a "clipped Klingon" fashion. (taking out most adjectives for the sake of keeping the post to the point).

About Oprah .... she made a statement on one of her show last year. She said "The only affordable ocean front property in the US is in Hilo on the Big Island of Hawaii". Here on the BI, she is being blamed for the development here, simply because of that statement. Not fair, I agree. But that's how Oprah is implicated.
                        The 1 acre (undeveloped rainforest) next to me was selling for $8000 cash 6 years ago. Last year it sold for $25,000, now the new owner is asking $45,000

Comment

Originally posted by harpoon
                          Also refering to the Big Island as Hawaii or Hawaii Island to a visitior creates all kinds of confusion.
                          all the better.

Comment

In English:
                            Big Island
                            Big Isle
                            Hawai'i island

In Hawaiian:
                            Moku O Keawe
                            Hawai'i moku

and even in Hawaiian today, we say "Pi'ilani" for Maui, "Kakuhihewa" for O'ahu, "Manokalanipo" for Kaua'i, "Nui a Hina" for Moloka'i, "Lana'i-Ka'ula" for Lana'i and "Kahelelani" for Ni'ihau

growing up in Hilo:
                            ice shave (with the "ce" silent; iShave would be a tekkie way to write it phonetically)

pax

Comment

Originally posted by Pua'i Mana'o
                              In Hawaiian:
                              Moku O Keawe
                              Hawai'i moku

and even in Hawaiian today, we say "Pi'ilani" for Maui, "Kakuhihewa" for O'ahu, "Manokalanipo" for Kaua'i, "Nui a Hina" for Moloka'i, "Lana'i-Ka'ula" for Lana'i and "Kahelelani" for Ni'ihau
                              Good thing there are English equivalents for the names of the Hawaiian islands, then. Can you imagine how the Hawaiian names would get mangled by the tourists?

Miulang
                              "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Miulang
                                How you can tell a malihini from a kama'aina: malihinis call it "shaved ice". Kama'ainas call it "shave ice".
                                We plainsmen call it "sno-cone".

Comment

Working...
                                X