Clear All

• Day 22 Questions

HawaiiThreads Trivia Contest!
    Here are the questions for Day 22!

1. Category: Team Steam
      What current New England Patriots cheerleader is the daughter of a
      former New England Patriot?

2. Category: KORDN8
      What familiar building is located at 21°17' 39.42" N, 157°49' 8.02" W ?

3. Category: Mukashi, Mukashi
      In one popular Japanese story, a boy is adopted by a couple who finds
      him floating down a river. He later befriends three animals who help
      him defeat an island of demons. In another Japanese story, a boy
      visits an undersea kingdom where the lovely princess offers to let him
      stay with her. He gets homesick, though, so he politely declines the
      offer, returning home to find his tiny village populated entirely with
      people he does not know. What name do these two boys share?

Please send me your answers IN PRIVATE MAIL by 9:00 p.m. on Monday, November 26! Good luck, and beat Kalei!
    Last edited by scrivener; November 25, 2007, 08:33 PM. Reason: "I'm going to Carolina in my mind..."
    But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
    GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

• Re: Hawaii Threads Trivia Contest -- Go Fourth and Multiply

I thought I had B&S Store too?
      Twitter: LookMaICanWrite

flickr

Comment

Originally posted by Mike_Lowery View Post
        I thought I had B&S Store too?
        You did, which was very impressive for a Kauai boy. But here in Honolulu, we teach our kids to ANSWER THE QUESTION!
        But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
        GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Originally posted by scrivener View Post
          You did, which was very impressive for a Kauai boy. But here in Honolulu, we teach our kids to ANSWER THE QUESTION!
          hahaha, my bad. you know what's the worst part of all? I NEVER LEARNED HOW TO READ! [/wayne's world]
          Twitter: LookMaICanWrite

flickr

Comment

It's possible that the cheerleader in question is no longer a member of the squad. She's not listed in the BIOGRAPHIES section of the cheerleaders page at Patriots.com. So I'm going to re-word: What RECENT New England Patriots cheerleader is the daughter of a former New England Patriot?

GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Originally posted by tutusue View Post
              Go for the sight seeing, SFB. I'm in really good company right now in this trivia game, what with you being a 3 time winner! Enjoy Hong Kong and remember my math scholarliness as it relates to time differences!

I have to say that I'm glad someone here in HK told me about the web site www.timeanddate.com. According to that web site's calculations I have until 3 PM next day from Honolulu, in order to get my picks into Mitchell at the 9 PM Honolulu deadline. A far cry from the time you suggested! Not that it really matters for me at the moment, seeing I'm well off the pace set by leaders!

Originally posted by Kalei99 View Post
              Have fun in Hong Kong, SFB! Let me know the what you think...I'm going to China next year - hopefully!
              Hindsight being 20/20, I admit, at least at the moment, I would trade the remaining time on this journey for a trip home to the Windward Side in a heartbeat. I guess I'm suffering culture shock at the moment. I'm going to reserve my judgement on HK until my two weeks plus have been completely spent here. I have this feeling that by the time I'm ready to return to the USA, I will probably end up falling in love with HK. Just like every other place I now really love but said I didn't like when I first arrived.

Comment

Originally posted by Surfingfarmboy View Post
                I have this feeling that by the time I'm ready to return to the USA, I will probably end up falling in love with HK. Just like every other place I now really love but said I didn't like when I first arrived.
                Just make sure you get some pictures of her. When you meet her.
                GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Bye, Goat Lady. Have a safe trip home.

Blaine
                  Make trouble, have fun, do good stuffs.

Comment

I like how the image Blaine posted has the computer screen reversed, in the background. Is that what you did in an attempt to screw up Kalei's lead?

Comment

Originally posted by Leo Lakio View Post
                      I like how the image Blaine posted has the computer screen reversed, in the background.
                      Or... perhaps it's the goat that's upside down?
                      It's an enigma within a conundrum.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

Originally posted by LikaNui View Post
                        [...]It's an enigma within a conundrum.
                        I just love it when you talk dirty!

Comment

• Re: Day 22 Questions

Here are the answers for Day 22!

Category: Team Steam
                          What current New England Patriots cheerleader is the daughter of a
                          former New England Patriot?
                          That would be Amber van Eeghen, daughter of Mark van Eeghen, who finished his career with the Patriots 'though he is most well-known as one of the Oakland Raiders' all-time greats. She's quite a cutie.

Stand up and holler for Mike_Lowery, liberty, zztype, Surfingfarmboy, Kalei99, Peshkwe, Leo Lakio, acousticlady, tutusue, lavagal, InfinityProductions, and kanahina for getting that one right!

Category: KORDN8
                          What familiar building is located at 21°17' 39.42" N, 157°49' 8.02" W ?
                          The correct answer is the Stan Sheriff Center at the University of Hawaii (Manoa). However, if you were using NAD-27 data, as InfinityProductions was, you got the Kaimuki Pumping Station as your answer, and I'll take it. Check out the very interesting article on NAD-27 and NAD-83 here.

A trail of breadcrumbs for Mike_Lowery, liberty, zztype, Surfingfarmboy, Kalei99, mel, Leo Lakio, acousticlady, tutusue, lavagal, and InfinityProductions! Half-points for Peshkwe and Helen for their "UH Manoa" answers.

Category: Mukashi, Mukashi
                          In one popular Japanese story, a boy is adopted by a couple who finds
                          him floating down a river. He later befriends three animals who help
                          him defeat an island of demons. In another Japanese story, a boy
                          visits an undersea kingdom where the lovely princess offers to let him
                          stay with her. He gets homesick, though, so he politely declines the
                          offer, returning home to find his tiny village populated entirely with
                          people he does not know. What name do these two boys share?
                          The first boy is Momotaro. The second boy is Urashima Taro (a far, far superior story, if you ask me!). The name they share is TARO.

Ten more minutes for reading before bedtime go to liberty, zztype, Surfingfarmboy, Kalei99, Peshkwe, Leo Lakio, and tutusue, who live happily ever after, although Urashima Taro certainly didn't.

Current scores, with appeals still pending!
                          61: Kalei99
                          53.75: Leo Lakio
                          50.75: liberty
                          49.25: zztype
                          45.75: acousticlady, tutusue
                          43.75: Surfingfarmboy
                          40.5: lavagal
                          39.75: InfinityProductions
                          36.75: Mike_Lowery
                          32.5: CranBeree
                          30.5: mel
                          29: kanahina
                          23.5: Peshkwe
                          19.25: helen
                          11.5: Palama Kid
                          10.25: kiwidiva
                          9.5: jdub

n e w q u e s t i o n s n e x t p o s t!
                          GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

• Day 23 Questions

Here are the questions for Day 23!

1. Category: If It Were Up To Me, They'd All Be About Baseball, Books, and Bruce -- Wait a Minute: It IS Up to Me!

What Newbery Medal recipient tells the story of a boy forced to leave school at the age of ten who, through his own thirst for knowledge, educates himself and becomes one of America's most honored navigators?

2. Category: If It Were Up To Me, They'd All Be About Baseball, Books, and Bruce -- Wait a Minute: It IS Up to Me!

What two brothers--stringed-instrument players, both--have performed on stage in support of Bruce Cockburn?

3. Category: If It Were Up To Me, They'd All Be About Baseball, Books, and Bruce -- Wait a Minute: It IS Up to Me!

In a certain baseball game between the Los Angeles Dodgers and the Pittsburgh Pirates, Johnny Podres won his 11th game of the season, Sandy Koufax picked up his second save of the season, Ron Kline lost his 12th game of the season, Don Zimmer went 0 for 1, and Gil Hodges went 1 for 1 pinch-hitting for Zimmer. In what year did this game take place?

Please send me your answers IN PRIVATE MAIL by 9:00 p.m. on Tuesday, November 27! Good luck, and beat Kalei!
                            GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Just a reminder: 20 minutes, people. Lock in those answers!

Make trouble, have fun, do good stuffs.

Comment

• Day 23 Answers

Here are the answers for Day 23!

Category: If It Were Up To Me, They'd All Be About Baseball, Books, and Bruce -- Wait a Minute: It IS Up to Me!

What Newbery Medal recipient tells the story of a boy forced to leave school at the age of ten who, through his own thirst for knowledge, educates himself and becomes one of America's most honored navigators?
                                Carry On, Mr. Bowditch by Jean Lee Latham. The cover is awful and the title even worse, but this is a surprisingly good read in the vein of Johnny Tremain. I really dug it and I wasn't planning on it!

Just for your information, the Medal goes to the book, not the author. Yes, the author gets the prize, but it is for writing the BOOK, which is the actual recipient. That's splitting hairs, I know, but I've been working on getting all of these read (29 of 86 left!) for my thesis, and I'm particular. You got credit for just giving the author's name, anyway.

Bookmarks and beanbag chairs for zztype, liberty, Mike_Lowery, Leo Lakio, Surfingfarmboy, CranBeree, Peshkwe, Kalei99, InfinityProductions, and acousticlady for sailing true on that one!

Category: If It Were Up To Me, They'd All Be About Baseball, Books, and Bruce -- Wait a Minute: It IS Up to Me!

What two brothers--stringed-instrument players, both--have performed on stage in support of Bruce Cockburn?
                                That would be Hugh Marsh (electric violin) and Fergus Jamison Marsh (Chapman Stick). Two excellent, excellent musicians.

All the Diamonds in the World for zztype, Surfingfarmboy (back to form!), and Leo Lakio, the only ones to get this right. I sorta expected Leo to.

In a certain baseball game between the Los Angeles Dodgers and the Pittsburgh Pirates, Johnny Podres won his 11th game of the season, Sandy Koufax picked up his second save of the season, Ron Kline lost his 12th game of the season, Don Zimmer went 0 for 1, and Gil Hodges went 1 for 1 pinch-hitting for Zimmer. In what year did this game take place?

Dodger Dogs for zztype, liberty, Mike_Lowery, Leo Lakio, Surfingfarmboy, Peshkwe, tutusue, Kalei99, and acousticlady!

Current scores, with appeals still pending (sorry! time is difficult to find this week!):

63: Kalei99
                                56.75: Leo Lakio
                                52.75: liberty
                                52.25: zztype
                                47.75: acousticlady
                                46.75: tutusue, Surfingfarmboy
                                40.75: InfinityProductions
                                40.5: lavagal
                                39.75: Mike_Lowery
                                33.5: CranBeree
                                30.5: mel
                                29: kanahina
                                25.5: Peshkwe
                                19.25: helen
                                11.5: Palama Kid
                                10.25: kiwidiva
                                9.5: jdub

New Question Next Post!
                                GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Working...
                                X