Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Name that TV show!

Originally posted by mel
    I would venture to guess the very short lived series of the mid 1960s called It's About Time.
    Yup, and I really loved its theme song!
    "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

I vaguely remember a few bars from the song:

"It's about time, it's about space, it's about time in a different place."
      I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Originally posted by mel
        I vaguely remember a few bars from the song:

"It's about time, it's about space, it's about time in a different place."
        I thought it went "It's about time, it's about space, it's about people in the strangest place.
        Whoa, Mista Buss Driva, eh, you can stop the buss o wat?

Comment

For a show that lasted only one season, it did have two different starting sequences. The music was the same but the lyrics are slightly different, I know the ending and middle lyrics are different since the season started with the astronauts going back in time, but later in the season they went forward in time bring back a prehistoric family with them to present day. I don't know if the lyrics are different at the beginning.

Comment

It's about time,
            It's about space,
            About strange people in the strangest place.
            It's about time,
            It's about flight,
            Travelin' faster than the speed of light.

About space people and a brave crew,
            As through the barrier of time they flew.
            Pass the Roman Senators,
            Pass an armored knight,
            Pass the firing Minutemen,
            To this modern site.

It's about time for you and me
            To meet these people of amazing feats.
            It's about two astronauts and how they educate
            A pre-historic woman and her pre-historic mate.

It's about time
            It's about space
            About strange people in the strangest place
            They will be here
            With all of us
            Dodging a taxi, a car, a bus.

Where will they go
            What will they do
            In this strange place where everything is new.
            Will they manage to survive
            Watch each week and see.
            Will they get accustomed to the Twentieth Century.

It's about time
            For our good byes
            To all our pre-historic gals and guys.

And now,
            It's About Time
            It's About Time
            It's About Time
            It's About Time!

Comment

That lyrics would be the 2nd half. The part they go back.

Comment

What TV show introduced many well known future TV personalities in improv sketches? The piano playing host was also a very famous composer.

Miulang
                "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

I recall Liberache had his own TV show in the late 60s.
                  I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Originally posted by mel
                    I recall Liberache had his own TV show in the late 60s.
                    He did, but this show preceded Liberace's by a few years. Another hint: his son became a follower of the Love Israel cult.

Miulang
                    Last edited by Miulang; March 15, 2006, 12:25 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Miulang
                      What TV show introduced many well known future TV personalities in improv sketches? The piano playing host was also a very famous composer.

Miulang
                      In this country? What decade? Wow...this is a stumper!

Comment

Originally posted by tutusue
                        In this country? What decade? Wow...this is a stumper!
                        US, in the 1950s, ran for 10 years (into the 60s). Had a well-publicized feud with another big variety show host of the era. One regular on the show went on to be a main character on "Laugh-In". Another later advertised a fashion accessory which was subjected to repeated "torture" by a pachyderm to prove that whatever happened, it would still keep working. Another recently-deceased performer first practiced the schtick he would be famous for later on on other TV series and movies. Another regular went on to partner with the likes of Carol Burnett on her series. Another one guest hosted on "Saturday Night Live" several times.

Miulang
                        Last edited by Miulang; March 15, 2006, 03:49 PM.

Comment

The commerical you cited in the hint would be a Timex commerical. The partner for Carol Burnett you are referring to is more than likey to be Harvey Korman.

I don't think it's Sid Ceaser's Your Show of Shows even through his rivial for the time slot was the Lawerence Welk show.

I was about to guess the Dean Martin show but he started in the 1960's not the 1950's.

I am guessing that the rival show might be the Ed Sullivan show, if that is true I have no clue as to the original question.

Comment

Originally posted by helen
                            The commerical you cited in the hint would be a Timex commerical.
                            Yes, and who was the actor with the classy name in that commercial?
                            The partner for Carol Burnett you are referring to is more than likey to be Harvey Korman.
                            No, not Harvey Korman.
                            I don't think it's Sid Ceaser's Your Show of Shows even through his rivial for the time slot was the Lawerence Welk show.
                            Nope.
                            I was about to guess the Dean Martin show but he started in the 1960's not the 1950's.
                            Guess again.
                            I am guessing that the rival show might be the Ed Sullivan show, if that is true I have no clue as to the original question.
                            Yes, the Ed Sullivan show played against this show in the same time slot on Sundays. The Ed Sullivan Show was around about 8 years before this particular show, which is why the feuding between the two hosts occurred over formatting.

This series lost the ratings war to the Ed Sullivan Show, so the network moved it to a different time slot for a year. Then it got picked up by another network and finally ended its run at ABC in 1960. Then it got renamed and went into syndication for a few more years, finally ending its run at NBC in 1981. This host has been credited with launching more careers than just about any other person in the industry.

Miulang
                            Last edited by admin; March 16, 2006, 05:39 AM. Reason: Fix quotes.

Comment

Would the Carol Burnett clue be Tim Conway (he came on late in the show's run)? If that being the case Conway and Don Knotts did some movies in the 1970's together, I can only assume they worked together in the past.

I am guessing the Danny Thomas Show?

Comment

Would the Carol Burnett clue be Tim Conway (he came on late in the show's run)? If that being the case Conway and Don Knotts did some movies in the 1970's together, I can only assume they worked together in the past.
                                Yup. This host's wife was also an actress who regularly appeared on his show. This actress was also part of a sister acting team.

He was pretty much self-taught as a musician (3 years of piano), but wrote music and lyrics for stage plays, produced more than 75 albums/CDs, and was well known for being a jazz musician.

Y'all are going to kick yourselves when you find out who this guy is, because he was a man of incredible talent.

Miulang
                                Last edited by admin; March 16, 2006, 05:37 AM. Reason: Fixed quote tags.

Comment

Working...
                                X