X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Name that part of Hawai'i?

Originally posted by Menehune Man
    This place is surrounded by the ocean on three sides and sheer cliffs on the south. The Hawai'ian name translated into english means 'Flat Leaf'.
    Kalaupapa?

Comment

I seem to recall a hotel in Waikiki that had something about him. I'm not sure if it was the Princess K?
      Whoa, Mista Buss Driva, eh, you can stop the buss o wat?

Comment

Originally posted by tutusue
        Kalaupapa?
        Yes, Tutusue!
        Life is either an adventure... or you're not doing it right!!!

Comment

Stevenson Intermediate (Now Middle) School in Makiki and The area just beside the Waioli Tea Room Restaurant in Manoa? I hope I got this right!
          Hmmm...your answer initiates a 3rd question! What's the 3rd place?

Yes, there's a grass hut near the Waioli Tea Room that, according to legend, RLS used as his Hawaii home.

A curiosity question! Did RLS have a physical presence on the land that is now Stevenson Middle School or is it named after him due to his association with Hawaii? I should've stated my initial question a bit clearer, to include physical presence!

Comment

Originally posted by Moto
            I seem to recall a hotel in Waikiki that had something about him. I'm not sure if it was the Princess K?
            You're getting warm...but not warm enough!!

Comment

Where can you still see the rusting hulk of a WWII ship marooned on the offshore reef?
              Life is either an adventure... or you're not doing it right!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Moto

You're getting warm...but not warm enough!!
                Going take one wild stab at this one.

The connection is Tusitala St. (which intersects with Ka'iulani Ave.) in Waikiki. Stevenson's nickname was "Tusitala", which means storyteller in Samoan.

Comment

Where in Hawai'i is the westernmost public elementary school in the US (or at least it bills itself as such)?

Miulang
                  "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by lurkah
                    Going take one wild stab at this one.

The connection is Tusitala St. (which intersects with Ka'iulani Ave.) in Waikiki. Stevenson's nickname was "Tusitala", which means storyteller in Samoan.
                    An interesting stab, Lurkah...interesting enough that I googled it and, basically, came up with nothing to support the idea. Seems plausible, tho', doesn't it?! I did find one hit that might allude to this possibility but the page no longer exists and it's not cached. The google hit states:
                    "KeepMedia | Rough Guides Travel: Honolulu
                    ... English sailor, John Young (1745–1835), was known as Olohana to the Hawaiians after his naval cry of "All hands on deck." Tusitala Street: Named after author ...
                    www.keepmedia.com/ShowItemDetails. do?itemID=6228&extID=10030 - Supplemental Result - Similar*pages"
                    Dang...just one more letter would've cinched it one way or the other!

Ok, assuming your wild stab is accurate...what's the other (4th!) place? Moto was on the right track! I'll up the stakes a bit and gift a song of the winner's choice from iTunes...as long as the song contains one of the words in the place name I'm thinking of! And, I think I've figured out how to gift a song! Hint: this place doesn't contain the word 'Gidget'!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Miulang
                      Where in Hawai'i is the westernmost public elementary school in the US (or at least it bills itself as such)?
                      I'm thinking Ni`ihau?

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

Originally posted by LikaNui
                        I'm thinking Ni`ihau?
                        Nope. But you're pretty close.
                        "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Miulang

Miulang
                          Kekaha Elementary School

Comment

Kekaha Elementary School
                            Correct!

Comment

Where can you still see the rusting hulk of a WWII ship marooned on the offshore reef?
                              The Liberty marooned off of Lanai?

Comment

Ok, assuming your wild stab is accurate...what's the other (4th!) place? Moto was on the right track!
                                Might you be referring to the Robert Louis Stevenson Room which is located within the Sheraton Princess Ka'iulani Hotel?

Comment

Working...
                                X