X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Name that part of Hawai'i?

Originally posted by lurkah
    Might you be referring to the Robert Louis Stevenson Room which is located within the Sheraton Princess Ka'iulani Hotel?
    That's a new one to me...and not the one that will earn you the coveted, non-Gidget related iTune!!! Try again!

Comment

Originally posted by tutusue
      Ok, assuming your wild stab is accurate...what's the other (4th!) place? Moto was on the right track! I'll up the stakes a bit and gift a song of the winner's choice from iTunes...as long as the song contains one of the words in the place name I'm thinking of! And, I think I've figured out how to gift a song! Hint: this place doesn't contain the word 'Gidget'!!!
      Is it the Kaimana Beach Hotel? I recall that one of the trees there is where some famous writer wrote a poem there... not sure if it was RLS though.

Comment

Originally posted by cezanne
        Is it the Kaimana Beach Hotel? I recall that one of the trees there is where some famous writer wrote a poem there... not sure if it was RLS though.
        DING! DING! DING! Oh wait...make that DING! DING! And where is the hotel located?!

Comment

DING! DING! DING! Oh wait...make that DING! DING! And where is the hotel located?!
          Ummm... Kaimana Beach?
          It's the beach next to the Waikiki Aquarium and the Natatorium.

Comment

Originally posted by cezanne
            Ummm... Kaimana Beach?
            It's the beach next to the Waikiki Aquarium and the Natatorium.
            Actually, it's San Souci Beach but that's close enough! The location is Waikiki or Diamond Head!

Ok...so pick a song from iTunes with one or more of the following words and PM me the title and your email addy!
            Kaimana
            Otani
            Waikiki
            Diamond Head

Comment

Actually, it's San Souci Beach but that's close enough! The location is Waikiki or Diamond Head!
              San Souci ... that's the name. The name wen excape me for the moment.

Comment

Originally posted by Miulang
                Where in Hawai'i is the westernmost public elementary school in the US (or at least it bills itself as such)?

Miulang
                I'm thinking there must be some public elementary schools farther west in Alaska than Kekaha Elementary...the towns of Kotzebue and Nome, by themselves are farther west than than the entire island of Kaua'i...then there are all the Aleutian Island communities. Is the key word of this question public? Are all the elementary schools in far-western Alaska private?

This link seems to refute Kekaha's claim:

http://www.nomeschools.com/
                Last edited by Surfingfarmboy; March 19, 2006, 10:54 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Surfingfarmboy
                  [...] Is the key word of this question public? Are all the elementary schools in far-western Alaska private?
                  I think the key words are "(or at least it bills itself as such)".

Comment

It seems that an institution such as an elementary school really should get their facts straight, as an example to their students, before claiming they are something they may not actually be. That is, if in fact, Kekaha Elementary bills itself as the most western public elementary school in the US.
                    Last edited by Surfingfarmboy; March 19, 2006, 11:06 AM.

Comment

I googled in Kekaha Elementary, and I was given a link to their school web-page. They are billing themselves as the most western elementary the US. Should I set them straight on this?

http://www.kekaha.k12.hi.us/
                      Last edited by Surfingfarmboy; March 19, 2006, 11:15 AM.

Comment

Kekaha Elementary, and I was given a link to their school web-page. They are billing themselves as the most western elementary the US. Should I set them straight on this?
                        No. it's true. The required school uniform is levis, cowboy boots, and a merle haggard accent.

Comment

Originally posted by kimo55
                          No. it's true. The required school uniform is levis, cowboy boots, and a merle haggard accent.
                          And I suppose their after school activities includes intermural rodeo and square dancing. Yeeee haaaawww!

Comment

I googled in Kekaha Elementary, and I was given a link to their school web-page. They are billing themselves as the most western elementary the US. Should I set them straight on this?
                            Hence, Miulang's "(or at least it bills itself as such)" disclaimer!

If you do set them straight, let us know how they respond!

Comment

I hope I didn't come off as if I was trying to show-up Miulang, which I most definitely was not. I have little reason to doubt what she has to say about Hawai'i, she being a kama'aina o 'aina. In looking back at the posts I've hung in this thread, it may appear that way, and if that is the case, I do apologize to her.

What I am surprised is that a school could overlook some fairly obvious facts about where they are, longitude-wise, in relation to Alaska. One of my favorite trivia facts about Alaska is that not only is it the USA's most western state (not western in the yee-haw sense, Kimo, but longitude), but it is technically the USA's most eastern state, with a small portion of its land existing on the other side of the International Date Line.

I would have figured that a school, of all entities, would at least try to verify the fact that they were the "western most" of schools in the US before naming themselves as claimant to the title. I'm under the impression here, after reviewing Kekaha Elementary's web-site, that it, appears to be a typical Internet school project, and substantiating the facts presented on the web-pages may have been secondary to the overall project, which may have been primarily getting the web-site up and running online.
                              Last edited by Surfingfarmboy; March 19, 2006, 12:03 PM.

Comment

I hope I didn't come off as if I was trying to show-up Miulang, which I most definitely was not. I have little reason to doubt what she has to say about Hawai'i, she being a kama'aina o 'aina. In looking back at the posts I've hung in this thread, it may appear that way, and if that is the case, I do apologize to her.

What I am surprised is that a school could overlook some fairly obvious facts about where they are, longitude-wise, in relation to Alaska. One of my favorite trivia facts about Alaska is that not only is it the USA's most western state (not western in the yee-haw sense, Kimo, but longitude), but it is technically the USA's most eastern state, with a small portion of its land existing on the other side of the International Date Line.

I would have figured that a school, of all entities, would at least try to verify the fact that they were the "western most" of schools in the US before naming themselves as claimant to the title. I'm under the impression here, after reviewing Kekaha Elementary's web-site, that it, appears to be a typical Internet school project, and substantiating the facts presented on the web-pages may have been secondary to the overall project, which may have been primarily getting the web-site up and running online.
                                The only reason I picked up that Kekaha Elementary factoid is because I happened to google "Kauai public schools" and just happened to click on "Kekaha" and the "Kekaha Elementary School" website. Hence, the disclaimer "or at least it bills itself as such..."

Miulang
                                "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Working...
                                X