Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: This day in Hawai'i's history...

Originally posted by Miulang
    On Nov. 4, 1924, the first woman elected to the Hawai'i Legislature is elected. Her name is Rosalie Keli'inoi, a Republican from Kauai (born in Wailuku). For what legislation is she remembered?

Miulang
    She sponsored a law that gave women the right to own property in their own name.

[I actually remembered this one from Women's History Month in HS]
    Tessie, "Nuf Ced" McGreevey shouted
    We're not here to mess around
    Boston, you know we love you madly
    Hear the crowd roar to your sound
    Don't blame us if we ever doubt you
    You know we couldn't live without you
    Tessie, you are the only only only

Comment

Originally posted by Lei Liko
      She sponsored a law that gave women the right to own property in their own name.

[I actually remembered this one from Women's History Month in HS]
      Not only that, but she advocated for community property rights for women and to allow women to make their own contracts. A woman ahead of her time...

Miulang
      "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

On Sept. 14, 1922, an amusement park opened up next to Ft. DeRussy. What was it called? It closed down in the 1930s.

Miulang
        "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

On Sept. 14, 1922, an amusement park opened up next to Ft. DeRussy. What was it called? It closed down in the 1930s.

Miulang
          This 5-acre amusement park was called Aloha Amusement Park. It welcomed 10,000 visitors on its first day of operations and cost $250,000 to build.

Comment

May 11, 1922 was a first in Hawai'i radio history. What were the call letters of the first commercial radio station that started operations that day, and what were the call letters of the second radio station that went on air just 15 minutes later?

Miulang

Comment

May 11, 1922 was a first in Hawai'i radio history. What were the call letters of the first commercial radio station that started operations that day, and what were the call letters of the second radio station that went on air just 15 minutes later?

Miulang
              KGU (owned by the Honolulu Advertiser) was the first commercial radio station on the air. 15 minutes later, station KDYX (later to become KGMB and KSSK---owned by the Star Bulletin) went on the air.

Comment

In November, 1987 Honolulu Magazine celebrated its centennial. What was its name for most of those 100 years?

Miulang

Comment

In November, 1987 Honolulu Magazine celebrated its centennial. What was its name for most of those 100 years?

Miulang

"Paradise of the Pacific."

It was an outward looking magazine designed to show the world that Hawaii was a civilized place (and worthy of consideration for statehood, among other things).

Honolulu Magazine is now mostly for in-state consumption,
                  giving island residents insight into each other.

Comment

Originally posted by Creative-1
                    "Paradise of the Pacific."

It was an outward looking magazine designed to show the world that Hawaii was a civilized place (and worthy of consideration for statehood, among other things).

Honolulu Magazine is now mostly for in-state consumption,
                    giving island residents insight into each other.
                    Correct! It was called "Paradise of the Pacific" Magazine from its inception in 1888 through July, 1966, when it changed its name to "Honolulu Magazine".

Comment

On April 18, 1905, Hawai'i's first neighbor island public high school is opened with 20 students. Previous to this, all neighbor island high school students had to attend Honolulu High School. What is the name of that neighbor island high school?

Miulang

Comment

On April 18, 1905, Hawai'i's first neighbor island public high school is opened with 20 students. Previous to this, all neighbor island high school students had to attend Honolulu High School. What is the name of that neighbor island high school?

Miulang
                        Was it Hilo High School?

Comment

Originally posted by liberty
                          Was it Hilo High School?
                          Correcto, Liberty!

Comment

On May 1, 1928, a 7-mile road--the first federally-financed road in Hawai'i-- opens. Where was it?

Miulang

Comment

Miulang

Three neighbor island public high school's roots go back to the 1880s:

Waimea High - 1882
                              Kapaa High - 1883
                              Honokaa High - 1889

But...I believe they began as elementary schools and didn't become high schools until the 1930s.

Comment

Originally posted by Creative-1
                                Three neighbor island public high school's roots go back to the 1880s:

Waimea High - 1882
                                Kapaa High - 1883
                                Honokaa High - 1889

But...I believe they began as elementary schools and didn't become high schools until the 1930s.
                                I was looking for Hilo High as the answer. However, here's another curious footnote regarding the establishment of "English standard schools" (which is what schools like McKinley and Hilo High started out as):

"...The United States annexed the independent nation of Hawai‘i in 1898, five years after U.S. Marines were used in a coup to overthrow the Hawaiian monarchy. The cultural penetration of the islands had occurred decades earlier, via American missionaries and sugar planters. In the 1820s the missionaries developed an orthography for the Hawaiian language and began to translate religious texts and publish newspapers in the vernacular. Owing to mass enthusiasm among adults and a compulsory schooling law for children, by 1850 the great majority of Hawaiians were reportedly literate in their mother tongue (Kloss, 1998).

As Americans gained influence, however, and Hawaiian elites surrendered more land for plantations and more power to foreign appointees, there were pressures to anglicize the population. Hawai‘i’s superintendent of education, the Reverend Richard Armstrong, advocated the gradual replacement of Hawaiian with ‘a better language …what is now, to a great extent, the business language of the Islands, and which would open to [the native child’s] mind new and exhaustless treasures of moral and intellectual wealth’ (Reinecke, 1969: 45). In 1853, English instruction was introduced for Hawaiian children. In 1896, it became the sole medium of public schooling, by decree of the so-called Republic of Hawaii, the colonial government-in-waiting (Huebner, 1985).

By that time, following the large-scale importation of immigrant labor by the sugar plantations – notably Japanese, Chinese, Portuguese, Puerto Ricans, Spanish, Koreans, and Filipinos – full-blooded Hawaiians had been reduced to less than 20 percent of the population. Hawaiian Pidgin English (HPE) flowered in response to the communication needs of these diverse groups, an unstable medium that grafted Hawaiian and English words onto each speaker’s native grammar (Sato, 1985). Children then developed HPE into Hawaiian Creole English (HCE), a fully expressive language, which in practice became the vernacular of most Hawaiian schools in the early 20th century.

This situation provoked complaints from haole (white anglophone) parents, a small but influential minority who wanted their children educated in standard English, without the ‘corrupting influences’ of HPE and HCE speakers – that is, the offspring of plantation laborers (Stueber, 1981: 27). Adopting a recommendation by the federal Bureau of Education, in 1920 the Territory of Hawaii established a two-tier system in which students were ostensibly assigned to schools on the basis of English proficiency. In practice, this meant racial segregation, with haoles assigned to ‘English standard schools’ and non-whites to other public schools. By the time this discriminatory system was dismantled in the 1950s, language had become an especially salient marker of socioeconomic status in Hawaiian society. Being labeled a ‘Pidgin’ [HCE] speaker was considered by many a liability in the job market, associated as it was with the plantation and with the minimal intelligence assumed necessary for manual labor. …[A]s the middle class’s identity with [standard English] developed, so the working class’s alienation from it increased. More than ever before, HCE came to delineate class as well as ethnic differences among the people of Hawaii. (Sato, 1985: 265)
                                Meanwhile, the Hawaiian language continued to decline, along with all but the most recently imported immigrant tongues. Again, despite its assimilationist trappings, the colonial language policy served to reinforce rather than dismantle social inequality. ..."

Pidgin, anyone?

Miulang
                                Last edited by Miulang; June 18, 2006, 07:15 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X