Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: This day in Hawai'i's history...

Originally posted by Miulang
    On May 1, 1928, a 7-mile road--the first federally-financed road in Hawai'i-- opens. Where was it?

Miulang
    The answer is the Chain of Craters Road in Hawai'i Volcanoes National Park.
    "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

On Feb. 24, 1928, the first Mainland chain supermarket opened on Beretania St. on Oahu. What was the name of that chain?

Miulang
      "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

On Feb. 24, 1928, the first Mainland chain supermarket opened on Beretania St. on Oahu. What was the name of that chain?

Miulang
        Piggly Wiggly! Amazing that it doesn't still stores in Hawai'i...

Comment

On Nov. 21, 1927, Hawai'i welcomed the first Matson luxury cruise ship, which was on its maiden voyage from San Francisco. What was its name?

Miulang

Comment

On Nov. 21, 1927, Hawai'i welcomed the first Matson luxury cruise ship, which was on its maiden voyage from San Francisco. What was its name?

Miulang
            Malolo. The beverage company borrowed the name.

BTW, Wiliiam Matson took to the sea from Sweden at 10 and liked to boast that he never had a formal day of schooling in his life.

If I can tag onto your trivia question:
            1) Which Matson ship is still in Hawaii?
            2) What were the original Matson hotels and who later bought them?

Comment

Originally posted by Creative-1
              Malolo. The beverage company borrowed the name.

BTW, Wiliiam Matson took to the sea from Sweden at 10 and liked to boast that he never had a formal day of schooling in his life.

If I can tag onto your trivia question:
              1) Which Matson ship is still in Hawaii?
              2) What were the original Matson hotels and who later bought them?
              The 4 hotels were the Royal Hawaiian, the Moana, the Surfrider and the Princess Kaiulani. In 1959, Matson divested itself of the hotels which were sold to Sheraton.

Matson is now a subsidiary of A&B and I think they are out of the cruise business. Their main business now is hauling cargo.

Miulang

Comment

The 4 hotels were the Royal Hawaiian, the Moana, the Surfrider and the Princess Kaiulani. In 1959, Matson divested itself of the hotels which were sold to Sheraton.

Matson is now a subsidiary of A&B and I think they are out of the cruise business. Their main business now is hauling cargo.

Miulang

...and the name of the last of Willaim Matson's ships still in Hawaii??? (NOT the modern Matson containers)

Hint: She was built in 1878 in Scotland. Her maiden voyage took her to Pakistan, and her first six years were spent in the India trade. She then became a tramp pursuing general cargo such as lumber, jute, cement, and wheat from ports in Australia, California, India, New Zealand, and the British Isles.

Captain William Matson purchased her 21 years later for $25,000 and brought her to Honolulu in 1899.

When Hawaii was annexed by the US, it took a special act of Congress to secure the foreign-built ship the right to fly the Stars and Stripes.

And it's name is?????

Comment

Originally posted by Creative-1

...and the name of the last of Willaim Matson's ships still in Hawaii???
                  Falls of Clyde.

Comment

Oh, and those 4 Matson hotels were sold to Sheraton in 1959 for only $18 MILLION. Can you imagine how much they could cost today???

Miulang

Comment

• Re: This day in Hawai'i's history...

On Dec. 7, 1942, the Honolulu Parks Department orders the destruction and melting of a fountain in Kapiolani Park. What was the name of the fountain, who gave the fountain to the city, and why was it given to Hawai'i in 1919?

Miulang

Comment

On Dec. 7, 1942, the Honolulu Parks Department orders the destruction and melting of a fountain in Kapiolani Park. What was the name of the fountain, who gave the fountain to the city, and why was it given to Hawai'i in 1919?

Miulang
                        The name of it was the Phoenix water fountain. It was given to the people of Hawai'i by Japanese residents to commemorate the 5th anniversary of Emperor Yoshito's ascension to the throne. It was ordered to be destroyed and turned into scrap metal because it supposedly represented Japanese imperalism at a time when the US was engaged in a war with Japan.

Comment

On another thread, affiliation with the Communist Party was brought up. On Oct. 15, 1948, a UH research chemist resigned from the University to become the full-time chairman of the Hawai'i Communist Party. Who was he?

Miulang

Comment

On another thread, affiliation with the Communist Party was brought up. On Oct. 15, 1948, a UH research chemist resigned from the University to become the full-time chairman of the Hawai'i Communist Party. Who was he?

Miulang
                            The only famous Communist I've heard of in Hawai'i was Koji Ariyoshi.

Comment

On another thread, affiliation with the Communist Party was brought up.
                              Oh, you clever cross-threader, you.

Comment

Originally posted by Paul
                                The only famous Communist I've heard of in Hawai'i was Koji Ariyoshi.
                                No, it wasn't Koji Ariyoshi, but it was another man with a Japanese name. When this man became the chairman of the Hawai'i Communist Party, it brought the political party out from the shadows.

Ariyoshi was the publisher of the Honolulu Record, which was a progressive newspaper that focused on investigative reporting. The last issue of the paper was published on July 3, 1958. Ariyoshi was arrested in 1951 as an alleged Communist, but an appeals court reversed the conviction in 1958.

One other famous Communist (who later denounced his membership and started accusing others of being Communists) was Ichiro Izuka, who was a leader in the ILWU.

Good guess, though, Paul!

Miulang

Comment

Working...
                                X