• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: The Name Game - Chapter 4

Originally posted by anapuni808
    Yes - that is who I meant. So sorry to screw up the game
    Charles Stuart - aka Bonnie Prince Charlie, claimant to the British Throne. and oh, what a story he had.
    Originally posted by oceanpacific
    Are you referring to the current Prince Charles, divorced from Princess "D" and married to Camilla? If so, he's not a "Stuart," but a "Windsor." The "Stuart" line started after the "Tudor" line (Queen Elizabeth I) with the ascension of James I (James VI of Scotland) in 1609 and ended with James II fleeing the country less than a century later.
    Anapuni808 - Tell me it aint so .. two mistakes in 2 days ....??

Comment

Lionel Barrymore, actor

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lionel_Barrymore

Comment

Drew Barrymore, actress (same family)

Comment

May as well get through that theatrical family:

ETHEL BARRYMORE
          JOHN BARRYMORE

I remember them from cards that were sold in packs with gum like baseball cards. There was also a set of U.S. Presidents cards.

Comment

Originally posted by SouthKona
            Anapuni808 - Tell me it aint so .. two mistakes in 2 days ....??

No, I was referring to "Bonnie Prince Charlie" who raised the Scottish Clans to follow him against the British so he could regain the throne that his Father, James had walked away from in favor of his sister, Mary. His quest ended with the infamous Battle of Culloden in Scotland that decimated the clans, outlawed for a while the wearing of the kilt and cost many their lands. Many of the Scots who survived left after the battle & emigrated to the southern colonies of America. Many went to North/South Carolina. Look up Flora MacDonald for some interesting stories. This all happened in the 1740's. and some of those emigrants were my ancestors.
            "Democracy is the only system that persists in asking the powers that be whether they are the powers that ought to be."
            – Sydney J. Harris

Comment

Now moving on & back to the game:

Ethel Merman - famous broadway/movie actress. Her voice was so strong, she never needed a mic to reach the far balconies in the theatres when she performed. She is famous for singing "There's no Business like Show Business".
              "Democracy is the only system that persists in asking the powers that be whether they are the powers that ought to be."
              – Sydney J. Harris

Comment

Ethel Waters (October 31, 1896 – September 1, 1977) was an Oscar-nominated American blues vocalist.

Waters frequently performed jazz, big band, gospel, and popular music, on the Broadway stage and in concerts. Her best-known recording was her version of the spiritual song His Eye is on the Sparrow.
                http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ethel_Waters
                Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
                Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

John Waters, actor

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000691/

Comment

Crystal Waters (born 1961 in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania) is a female African American dance music singer and songwriter who enjoyed two major pop hits in the early '90s: "Gypsy Woman (She's Homeless)" (1991) and "100% Pure Love" (1994). She is also the niece of legendary singer Ethel Waters.
                    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crystal_Waters
                    “Love was not in it for me at first. I dated guys because of the way they looked. And then I began to learn that it's what's inside that counts. Love to me now is understanding. It's giving.”

Comment

Crystal Gayle - country singer ("Don't It make My Brown Eyes Blue"); youngest sister of Loretta Lynn

Comment

Gayle Delaney - Author
                        “If you can remember dreams of flying and soaring like a bird, or dancing, or singing more perfectly than you ever thought possible, you know that no second -hand accounts of such events could ever give you the thrill you felt in the dream.

Comment

Delaney Bramlett, of "Bonnie & Delaney", 70s rock group

Comment

Tim Delaney, Vice President and Executive Designer of Walt Disney.
                            “There is a family tragedy here, and I don't want to compound that, ... I have three issues, and they all circle back to the potential misuse of public resources.” http://thinkexist.com/quotes/Tim_Delaney/
                            Last edited by 1stwahine; August 28, 2006, 10:20 AM.

Comment

No, I was referring to "Bonnie Prince Charlie" who raised the Scottish Clans to follow him against the British so he could regain the throne that his Father, James had walked away from in favor of his sister, Mary. His quest ended with the infamous Battle of Culloden in Scotland that decimated the clans, outlawed for a while the wearing of the kilt and cost many their lands. Many of the Scots who survived left after the battle & emigrated to the southern colonies of America. Many went to North/South Carolina. Look up Flora MacDonald for some interesting stories. This all happened in the 1740's. and some of those emigrants were my ancestors.
                              Yes, you are indeed right! Thank you for the history lesson.
                              More: Stuart, Charles Edward, called The Young Pretender, The Young Chevalier, and Bonnie Prince Charlie (1720-88), claimant to the British throne who led the Scottish Highland army in the Forty-five Rebellion.

Comment

Tim Gunn - Teacher at Parsons School of Design in New York city and Mentor to the contestants on the reality show "Project Runway" on BRAVO.

Comment

Working...
                                X