Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Nicknames

Originally posted by cyleet99 View Post
    Hey Tutusue! When is it eggzacktly that you turn "elderly?" (oops, "experienced") We are having a "discussion" about it at my house....I say elderly happens at 90. Maybe 85, but definitely not until 80 at the youngest.

(sorry for the offtopic, didn't think it warranted another thread....)
    It probably does warrant another thread so if the mods wish to move this, that's fine!

There are different delineating ages for "elderly" or "experienced" or "senior citizen" or whateveryawannacallit!!! It's a different age for different people, as I see it. My 96 year old upstairs neighbor is beyond elderly mostly due to his mind set. My 87 year old friend...well, I can't begin to keep up with her. Whatta pistol that lady is and she goes to aerobics class 5 days a week. Some of her younger contemporaries call her "spry". Spry, my okole! Spry, to me, denotes "old with energy". There isn't an old bone in that 87 year old's body nor is there an old thought in her mind...an amazing woman.

Personally, I feel the 60s are the new 40s. The gov already considers me "elderly" or however they refer to it! AARP considers us aging at 50!

The nickname "Tutu Sue" has followed me since 1997, when I announced the impending birth of my first grandchild. A member of an online newsgroup assigned that name to me and, like mud flung against the side of a building, it stuck!!! And, I didn't mind one bit. I've used it online since then and even my clients call me Tutu Sue!

Comment

Heh...I was considered 'geriatric/elderly' mother by the hospital at 35 when I had my first kid, and REALLY old with the second kid 4 years later.

Comment

Upon reading a guitar instructional book this morning, I took notice that the author used the term "Band Aid®" in reference to an adhesive bandage in one of the paragraphs. I don't think the author even thought twice about it.

What household or other items do you refer to by their brand name instead of its generic, industry-termed name?

Like we often call...

Facial Tissue - Kleenex®
        Cotton Swabs - Q-Tips®
        Guys will sometimes call tampons "Maxi Pads", which is far from the what it is!
        Men's Underwear - "Bebs" (local slang from the brand name BVD&#174
        Plastic Laminate - Formica® (the now-old school stuff your countertop is covered with)
        Personal Cassette Player - Walkman®

What else?
        sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

Jacuzzi for any whirlpool type bathtub or spa...

Comment

Or Velcro...Velcro is a brand, the proper terms for the fabric are "hook-and-loop", "burr" or "touch" fasteners.
            Hail to the Chief Bloomenbergensteinenthal, shiksa.

Comment

Ah, Velcro and Jacuzzi. I use those names for those items, too!

Also for a copy machine, regardless of brand, many folks still call it a Xerox® Machine, sometimes even using the name "Xerox" for the word "copy". "Can you make me a "Xerox"?
              sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

Originally posted by Pomai View Post
                [...]
                Also for a copy machine, regardless of brand, many folks still call it a Xerox® Machine, sometimes even using the name "Xerox" for the word "copy". "Can you make me a "Xerox"?
                I'd forgotten about that one. I always referred to copies as xeroxes...until that fateful day in 1999.

Comment

While not totally ubiquitous, when at a restaurant or bar most people will order a "Coke" as a drink instead of "Cola"...and the waitress/bartender asking if "Pepsi" is okay.

Comment

Originally posted by tutusue View Post
                    I'd forgotten about that one. I always referred to copies as xeroxes...until that fateful day in 1999.

What? You discovered RanXerox in Heavy Metal and went all fangirl?

Comment

Originally posted by Ninja View Post
                      While not totally ubiquitous, when at a restaurant or bar most people will order a "Coke" as a drink instead of "Cola"...and the waitress/bartender asking if "Pepsi" is okay.
                      It's weirder when you overhear the order for a coke and the answer to "What kind?" is orange.

Errrmmm....huh?

Comment

Originally posted by Peshkwe View Post
                        What? You discovered RanXerox in Heavy Metal and went all fangirl?
                        Nope...
                        (shoulda linked in my previous post)

Comment

It took a while, but after that incident, that Xerox building was converted into a film studio used to film scenes for the TV series, LOST. It's currently a DAL-TILE Showroom and warehouse.

Another local slang or nickname often used based on a brand name is Bondo®, the auto body repair filler putty stuff. It's supposed to be pronounced "Bond-oh" (like James Bond + Oh), but the local way of saying is "bone-dough". Like that, but a bit shorter.

Anyway, locals will sometimes reference that product to various "patch jobs". Such as, "Finally the City & County went 'bondo' da' pot holes." Or, "You seen that chick? She had so much 'bondo' on her face." (make-up).
                          sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

Sue, you must have had to hunt for that link.

For makeup:

warpaint

spackle

Comment

Originally posted by Peshkwe View Post

For makeup:

warpaint

spackle
                              You're obviously NOT local.

Another one...

"Put it on the Hibachi" (grill)