Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 19 year old seeking a job

bump.

Now I'm 21, and I just need to make some extra dough. I'm so desperate, that I go for any job that has training. Gotta work weekends.
    How'd I get so white and nerdy?

Comment

Originally posted by kimo55 View Post
      ...when I was your age, I had to walk to school, a full mile in the hot humid sweltering unbearable lovely Hawaiian weather! lemme tellya, it was tough! getting sand in my sleepahs, having falling coconuts nearly miss me by 6 yards! The extremely tourturous temptation to jezz bodysurf all day in dat ocean a few feet away, while I trudge that looong mile to school. Ho, da ruff days we had.

Bus? dass fo nerds. Only time I saw the insides o' one o doze wus field trips to bishop museum.
      Oh yeah? When I was keiki time the road to school was so long and hard. Every year I tell my sob story the road get's longer, more rocky and somehow I went from Converse All Stars to broken slippahs and in dis version...aye no mo slippahs! Had to stop every ten feet to pull da Keawe thorns and glass splinters from da Oly beer bottles outta my feet.

And dat Koa paddle got thicker and thicker.

Man life was cruel wen I was keiki. Mo bettah now
      Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

The job market is kwazy out dea theze daze.......

ALL I CAN SAAAY is

sell YOUR SELF and make urself the hottest thing that companies based on ur intrests would be dying to hire you on the spot!
        Here in CALIFORNIA theres Job Fairs always happening but I dunno if there is such a thing on the island since I have been away since 1998.
        Like everyone has mentioned is going to an employement agenecy and even if ya have to do to something that goes against what YOU really wanna do.
        Keep and eye peeled for something better. In a nutshell, if the ladder to the top is not happening ya may have to start from the bottom up. Starting with the plan will pay off if you have the patience to do it.

Comment

Whatever you do, DON'T QUIT SCHOOL (yes, I'm yellin', lol) or put it off. Your parents have worked hard to help you to become all that you can in life, at great sacrifice. Pay them back with respect, and give them the pride they deserve in having such a great son.

Go pound the pavement every chance you get, even if you're scooping ice cream on weekends to get your bus pass, or help out around the house. You will find something, as companies are always looking for part time and weekend help (busboy, perhaps?). Some would also be glad to have a young person who is striving to become something in his life.

I know what I am saying, kidddo, because I had no choice but to leave college at the end of my third year. I literally had no home, and was sleeping on floors, there was just nothing left. I never got the chance to go back, either. The difference in my life would have been tremendous! (I've since done well for myself, considering the student loans I had to pay back).

Take it from us "older" folks, and keep on goin', you'll NEVER regret that you did, I promise.

Comment

Originally posted by doc1456 View Post
            bump.

Now I'm 21, and I just need to make some extra dough. I'm so desperate, that I go for any job that has training. Gotta work weekends.
            To me anybody who helps there parents, are worth their weight in Gold. If you are still looking for work,...perhaps? Do you like the beach at all? How far away are you from Waikiki? If your answers are , yes, yes, and near by PM me and perhaps I can help put you in the right direction for some gainful employment!

Comment

Instead of waiting 5+ years for them to pay for my education, I'm thinking of starting early and just put school on hold for a while, then go back.
              To echo what everybody else said, DON'T put school on hold. When I was in college (I graduated five years ago, so I know things haven't changed that much), those of my friends who opted to put college on hold have yet to go back.

Comment

Originally posted by AbsolutChaos View Post
                To echo what everybody else said, DON'T put school on hold. When I was in college (I graduated five years ago, so I know things haven't changed that much), those of my friends who opted to put college on hold have yet to go back.

Adrian already has graduated from Heald (last year). So he needs to either find a second job or a better paying job than the one he has now in order to support the care and feeding of his new car.

Miulang
                "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

well there's always Radio Shack...at least with Adrian there you'll know you'll get the right answer.

I hear they give part timers there benefits and discounts! Woo hoo!!
                  Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

It might be OK employment, but I don't think Radio Shack is what it used to be. If the head shed in Texas doesn't change things, I think it will slowly fade away.

Comment

Originally posted by Hope View Post
                      Whatever you do, DON'T QUIT SCHOOL
                      I stay finished w/ school!

Originally posted by Beachboy View Post
                      To me anybody who helps there parents, are worth their weight in Gold. If you are still looking for work,...perhaps? Do you like the beach at all?
                      So far, I go to the beach to take pictures (beach pics, not those kinds pervs). I no can swim for my life (even though fat floats), and probably the nearest beach is Ewa Beach.

Originally posted by Miulang View Post
                      So he needs to either find a second job or a better paying job than the one he has now in order to support the care and feeding of his new car.
                      Maybe a second job to atleast bring my current job to a new location, and get a good customer base then hire someone else and I can leave.

And yes, this will pay for my car payments (atleast it won't go towards that much gas and antifreeze). Oh, and I forgot my laptop credit card payments. Ho, I'm in trouble now.

Originally posted by craigwatanabe View Post
                      well there's always Radio Shack...at least with Adrian there you'll know you'll get the right answer.
                      I'm not a good salesperson, but I guess its something they'll (hopefully) give training for.

Comment

Originally posted by craigwatanabe View Post
                        I visited their website tonight, and either their careers page is broken, or there's something wrong with the database.

Comment

Originally posted by Miulang View Post
                          Adrian already has graduated from Heald (last year).
                          I thought part of Heald's services was job placement after graduation?

Comment

Originally posted by SouthKona View Post
                            I thought part of Heald's services was job placement after graduation?
                            They don't do jack. They expect you to "help" them find you a job, which is basically browsing help wanted ads that is available online. They just submit your resume to your selected job through Heald.

Comment

They don't do jack. They expect you to "help" them find you a job, which is basically browsing help wanted ads that is available online. They just submit your resume to your selected job through Heald.
                              That does not sound like much help at all. You could get that help from a relative or girlfriend! I think it's been mentioned by others before - you should check with some of the employment agencies. They often have temp jobs that do not make it into newspaper ads (oftentime, employers don't want to take on all the "benefits" hassle needed for just a temp position, so they hire thru temp agencies).

Comment

I 2nd the temp agency idea. During my daughter's senior year in college she still had no idea what she wanted to be when she grew up! She saw an internship for an ad agency posted on one of the school's bulletin boards. She applied and was selected. Fresh out of college she still didn't know what she wanted to do so, to earn money, she signed up with a temp agency. Because of her ad agency internship, they placed her in an ad agency as the temporary receptionist. She ended up full time with that particular company learning other aspects of the business. She is now a vice president and director of marketing at an ad agency in SoCal. And, no...I'm not proud of her...no way...huh uh!

Comment

Working...
                                X