19 year old seeking a job

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 19 year old seeking a job

I actually got great results from a job placement company. They got me more interviews and eventually a decent job when I got out of the service than circling ads in the classifieds.
    Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Try Akamai Services. Their website says they're looking for hardware techs.

Miulang
      "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

I had an interview at Circuit City today, and even though they don't need any more computer technicians (aka FireDog people) they scheduled me for another interview as a computer salesperson. I think my lack of skills in sales hurt me, because they're expecting me to handle 100 customers a day, while I don't think I interacted with 100 customers at my current job. However, that's how my cousin got in and now she's part of that firedog service.

Wish me luck with CC and hopefully GeekSquad!
        How'd I get so white and nerdy?

Comment

Originally posted by doc1456 View Post
          I had an interview at Circuit City today, and even though they don't need any more computer technicians (aka FireDog people) they scheduled me for another interview as a computer salesperson. I think my lack of skills in sales hurt me, because they're expecting me to handle 100 customers a day, while I don't think I interacted with 100 customers at my current job. However, that's how my cousin got in and now she's part of that firedog service.

Adrian, you already said you don't like sales, so why are you looking at sales positions??? Go register at Akamai for a hardware tech position! It may only be a contract position, but at least it would be doing something you like doing (and are good at!).

Miulang
          "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Miulang View Post
            Adrian, you already said you don't like sales, so why are you looking at sales positions??? Go register at Akamai for a hardware tech position! It may only be a contract position, but at least it would be doing something you like doing (and are good at!).

Miulang
            Tita Miulang, ahhhhh....neba mind.

Carry on.

Lynn
            Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
            Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

Originally posted by doc1456 View Post

Boy I'd love to work at Circuit City (too bad none here in Hilo). Geez only 100 customers a day? At Home Depot I think I go thru that many before lunch!

I hear they give good discounts there. I wonder how their managers are.
              Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Re: 21 year old seeking a job

2 years later, and I'm still looking for a job (I didn't want to make a new thread just to be merged into this one).

I'm kind of desperate, but also don't want to be stuck in a job I'll hate for the long term.

Comment

Originally posted by adrian View Post
                  2 years later, and I'm still looking for a job (I didn't want to make a new thread just to be merged into this one).

I'm kind of desperate, but also don't want to be stuck in a job I'll hate for the long term.
                  Being in a job you hate builds character.
                  http://thissmallfrenchtown.blogspot.com/
                  http://thefrenchneighbor.blogspot.com/

Comment

Originally posted by SusieMisajon View Post
                    Being in a job you hate builds character.
                    But if I have a job I hate, then I'll begin to do my work poorly, and if I interact with customers, then that'll reflect to the customer how the place operates.

Comment

Adrian, have you considered a civil service position? One way you may be able to get your foot in the door is to apply for the Homeland Security airport screeners position. I believe they accept applications about 4X a year. Once you establish permanent status you may be able to apply for other jobs in which you may be interested. I'm not 100% sure but you could certainly find out.

Here's the link: http://www.usajobs.gov/firsttimers.asp

Comment

But if I have a job I hate, then I'll begin to do my work poorly, and if I interact with customers, then that'll reflect to the customer how the place operates.
                        That's where the character-building comes in.

Comment

Adrian, if you go to the state unemployment office = they will help you look for a new job. Even though you don't qualify for unemployment (you quit your job), you can still get assistance. They have a jobs database and counselors that can help you. Also, like someone suggested many posts ago - sign up with a temp agency. Its work, brings in a paycheck & you just might find something you like. If its jobs you DON'T like - they are just temporary & you can leave whenever you like.
                          "Democracy is the only system that persists in asking the powers that be whether they are the powers that ought to be."
                          – Sydney J. Harris

Comment

...only if you let that happen. All of that is within your control.

Comment

That's called 'blackmail'.

Comment

Adrian, how about advertising within the area of the island you live, go to school and feel good about being in, that you will go to peoples' homes and set up their computers and do whatever you are good at, for them? be sure you are pricing yourself noticeably below what others on island charge, and maybe this will take off for you.

People especially with their first computer can feel itimidated by it all and would love to just have the thing all installed, online and working smoothly very soon after they get a new one in the door. Both of our daughters have done all the puter stuff for me in the last ten years, one is married and living not far away, but she may be moving to the mainland, and the other daughter should be moved to mainland by Dec. I'm soon to be one of those people that has to learn a ton about these things and if faced with a sudden problem I'll probably be desperate enough to pay someone like you to just fix it all and make the problem go away, soon after Dec.
                                Stop being lost in thought where our problems thrive.~

Comment

Working...
                                X