Calling all designers!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Calling all designers!

here's a preview of the updated site. I assume that everyone wanted the logo Pomai first designed, because that's how the poll is leaning, with the logo Pameron designed in second place. The site is a design made in Photoshop, and NVU, so its easily editable, but spam bots can't get my number or my email.

Also, I'm thinking of getting another number just for this business, as its harder to use two voicemail messages.
    How'd I get so white and nerdy?

Comment

Originally posted by doc1456
      . . . . . .

a small suggestion: if you want to use an image to prevent bots from grabbing your email, at least create an image map so that it's a link to your email address (mailto:___@___.com)

not a big deal. just an idea...
      525,600 minutes, 525,000 moments so dear. 525,600 minutes - how do you measure, measure a year?

Comment

Actually, that would undermine the reason for making the address an image. Spam scrapers don't just read what's displayed, but also the underlying code, and I assure you, they go straight for anything attached to "mailto:"

Thing is, even if you don't list any e-mail address anywhere, in a graphic, text, or in code, you'll get spam... 'cause spamming is so cheap, they send junk to random addresses at your domain, whether or not they exist. So definitely don't use a generic address, like contact@, help@, sales@, webmaster@, and the like.

You might want to consider a contact form, which some may find slightly less annoying than having to look at your email address and type it into a new message. But -- given the above -- make sure your form setup isn't a cheap implementation that requires your e-mail address to be exposed in the underlying code!

Comment

So, Adrian, what's a "Tobisha laptop"? (From your FAQ.)

I know, you mean "Toshiba" - but for a business website, it wouldn't hurt you to have someone go through and proofread for spelling and grammatical errors - you have a few there, and those kinds of things can drive potential customers away.

I like your "alternative to the Geek" line, btw.

Comment

Originally posted by pzarquon
            Actually, that would undermine the reason for making the address an image. Spam scrapers don't just read what's displayed, but also the underlying code, and I assure you, they go straight for anything attached to "mailto:"

Thing is, even if you don't list any e-mail address anywhere, in a graphic, text, or in code, you'll get spam... 'cause spamming is so cheap, they send junk to random addresses at your domain, whether or not they exist. So definitely don't use a generic address, like contact@, help@, sales@, webmaster@, and the like.
            . . . . . . . . . .

no kidding?!? wow. thanks for the info. looks like you'll have to weigh the advantages and disadvantages of posting a business email address: get more spam but at the risk of more business or less/no spam but at the risk of less business...
            525,600 minutes, 525,000 moments so dear. 525,600 minutes - how do you measure, measure a year?

Comment

[...]Thing is, even if you don't list any e-mail address anywhere, in a graphic, text, or in code, you'll get spam... 'cause spamming is so cheap, they send junk to random addresses at your domain, whether or not they exist. So definitely don't use a generic address, like contact@, help@, sales@, webmaster@, and the like.[...]
              I liked your kokua@ idea and you have my permission to change it on my home page!!!!!!

Comment

You might want to consider a contact form, which some may find slightly less annoying than having to look at your email address and type it into a new message. But -- given the above -- make sure your form setup isn't a cheap implementation that requires your e-mail address to be exposed in the underlying code!
                That's what I was about to ask help on. I forgot what I learned in my SQL class, and the teacher left school.

Originally posted by Leo Lakio
                So, Adrian, what's a "Tobisha laptop"? (From your FAQ.)

I know, you mean "Toshiba" - but for a business website, it wouldn't hurt you to have someone go through and proofread for spelling and grammatical errors - you have a few there, and those kinds of things can drive potential customers away.
                I ran each page (or will) through MS word, so everything will be spic 'n span. I'll hopefully have the new page up next week.

Comment

Adrian,

I sent the native Photoshop file of your newly chosen logo to your service (at) pyehac (dotcom) box. It's fine as is, but perhaps later you may want to tweak the color, apply filters (drop shadow, emboss, etc.) or add seasonal touches as shown below. You'll also need that grayscale version (center) for invoices and other business-related stationery. I can give you a vector version, but it will be an Illustrator file (you got?).

I'm honored to be the chosen designer. Cameron and Kelly's ideas were really neat too.

This one is super-super simple, but you can really have fun with it, as shown with that Christmas version... kinda' like what Dennis Hwang does with the Google logo.
                  sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

Originally posted by Pomai
                    [...]but you can really have fun with it, as shown with that Christmas version... kinda' like what Dennis Hwang does with the Google logo.
                    That's exactly what I was thinking. I always check Google on a holiday to see the terrific graphics. Would be fun to see what you, Pomai, or Adrian can come up with for the various holidays, even obscure ones! Love the Christmas touch, btw!

Maybe show a pumpkin lid on top of the P (like the santa hat) with pumpkin seeds spewing in a triangular shape from the "mouth" for Halloween and make the piece of pie into a heart shape (also adjusting the P) for valentine's day. The pie slice becomes a burst of fireworks with an Uncle Sam hat on the P for July 4? Ad infinitum!

Too corny? Too much work?

Comment

I appreciate the help with my computer logo, but now I have an even harder task for you people: create a logo for my Mom's tshirt embroidery business called "miracle stitch". We basically embroider logos and designs onto shirts, towels, hats, blankets and other fabrics.

I'm doing a website redesign and since my brain is racked from everything I'm lately, I appreciate the help. If you can incorporate the name into the logo, that'll be fantastic - if not, then just making a logo will help also.

The due date is 2 weeks from now, but if it can be done sooner, then that's even better.

Comment

Working...
                      X