Originally posted by MyopicJoe View Post
    Is Cindy Ellen Russel still at SB?
    Yes, she is!
    Burl Burlingame
    "Art is never finished, only abandoned." -- Leonardo Da Vinci
    honoluluagonizer.com

Comment

Re: Ax Falling at Star-Bulletin

I preferred reading the Bulletin over the Advertiser. But, I guess the reading habits of newspaper subscribers here went with the morning paper. They want their paper with some Kona coffee. If only there's a website to get some Kona coffee.

Comment

Originally posted by Walkoff Balk View Post
        I preferred reading the Bulletin over the Advertiser. But, I guess the reading habits of newspaper subscribers here went with the morning paper. They want their paper with some Kona coffee. If only there's a website to get some Kona coffee.
        That would be nice but if you could, a pop up ad would probably get in the way of your first sip.

Comment

Originally posted by 808golfer View Post
          That would be nice but if you could, a pop up ad would probably get in the way of your first sip.
          . . . and knock the cup right out of your hand.

Comment

The Star-Bulletin has been a morning paper for eight years now.
            Burl Burlingame
            honoluluagonizer.com

Comment

Buzz - you beat me to it - I have regularly picked up the Bulletin from newsstands in the morning for years - and didn't they switch to all-morning delivery not too long ago? When looking for cost savings, I think they ought to drop the late edition...looks labor intensive, often with a totally different front page. Put (more, local news) updates on the Web site.

Comment

Originally posted by buzz1941 View Post
                The Star-Bulletin has been a morning paper for eight years now.
                It was -printed- before sunrise.

But what counts is when the newspapers hit the doorstep. There was limited morning distribution in the Windward area while most of the papers reached households in the afternoon.

That went on for at least four years. Hope it changed since then. But it was puzzling why the Bulletin didn't make a change to AM delivery immediately after it was cut loose from the JOA.

Comment

For those interested, Charlie Memminger's final column:

http://www.starbulletin.com/features...lulu_lite.html

By the way, for the curious, is there a list of the "SB 17" no longer with the paper?

Comment

Originally posted by Composite 2992 View Post
                    But it was puzzling why the Bulletin didn't make a change to AM delivery immediately after it was cut loose from the JOA.
                    That was the plan. But there were physical and technical hinderances that were later ironed out.
                    Burl Burlingame
                    honoluluagonizer.com

Comment

Originally posted by buzz1941 View Post
                      That was the plan. But there were physical and technical hinderances that were later ironed out.
                      Some of the bigger problems included the inadequate planning for the changeover, failing to recognize and immediately solve serious delivery problems, and relying on outside consultants who didn't understand what the Star-Bulletin meant to its existing readership.

Comment

Originally posted by Kimo View Post
                        By the way, for the curious, is there a list of the "SB 17" no longer with the paper?
                        yes, there is, but to get it, you'd have to know someone who works...or just recently worked...at the SB.

losing your job is a private matter, even if the company at which you worked at is in a business as public as the media. we may be used to hearing about the more popular media folk leaving a job (whether they're newspaper journalists, radio personalities, or tv anchors), but i'm thinking not everyone who was laid off would have names familiar to even the most avid SB reader.

those who don't mind it known that they lost their SB job will let it be known or have already. of course, that pool of people will more likely be the employees "visible" to the public whose absence would be obvious.
                        superbia (pride), avaritia (greed), luxuria (lust), invidia (envy), gula (gluttony), ira (wrath) & acedia (sloth)--the seven deadly sins.

"when you wake up in the morning, tell yourself: the people i deal with today will be meddling, ungrateful, arrogant, dishonest, jealous, and surly..."--meditations, marcus aurelius (make sure you read the rest of the passage, ya lazy wankers!)

nothing humiliates like the truth.--me, in conversation w/mixedplatebroker re 3rd party, 2009-11-11, 1213

Comment

this morning, like every Sunday morning, my husband treks off to find a copy of the SB. There are three different locations we go to to get that prized copy. Couldn't find it.

My fear is that the SB is cancelling their neighbor isle distribution. This would be a terrible crime; I consume that edition, cover to cover. I would order the paper if I could, and don't care one whit if it wasn't delivered until dinner time.

I subscribe to my local paper, and read all of the free rags as well. I cut coupons and use them, because I appreciate that businesses need to know what methods drum this consumer's spending.

From Kauakukalahale to the solid-as-a-rock business section, I missed that blanketyblank paper this morning.

pax

Comment

Originally posted by Composite 2992 View Post
                            Some of the bigger problems included the inadequate planning for the changeover, failing to recognize and immediately solve serious delivery problems, and relying on outside consultants who didn't understand what the Star-Bulletin meant to its existing readership.
                            ok...Composiite,,,,,I'll bite...just WHO are these CONSULTANTS that you keep going on about???? Specifics please....oh wait, you can't....cuz there weren't any....I bet you hate having someone who actually knows FACT from FICTION....but hey...its cool. That's what these sites are about....just say something and pretend you know what you're talking about....uhhhh...NOT. PS: Inadequate "planning" for the changeover.....hahahahahahahahaha!!!!!!

Comment

I don't know, but maybe he's referring to the Canadians that came over for the first year or so. I understand there was some managerial upheaval in the press room, which is to be expected with any change in ownership.
                              Also, do any of you know if its true that the first thing they did was to get rid of Midweek's press for an used one from Australia that was worse? I was hearing all kinds of horror stories from old time Sun Press/MidWeek employees at the beginning of the Black era, but it looks like everyone has learned to work together.

Comment

Originally posted by Media Guy View Post
                                I don't know, but maybe he's referring to the Canadians that came over for the first year or so. I understand there was some managerial upheaval in the press room, which is to be expected with any change in ownership.
                                Also, do any of you know if its true that the first thing they did was to get rid of Midweek's press for an used one from Australia that was worse? I was hearing all kinds of horror stories from old time Sun Press/MidWeek employees at the beginning of the Black era, but it looks like everyone has learned to work together.
                                Apples and Oranges....yep, there were some consultants...all on the news side which almost ruined the paper. Correct. The MW press is essentially the same as I understand it...but "upgraded" with parts from "around the world" to handle the volume of a daily newspaper.....I believe they did the best they could....the alternative of course was to do nothing and just let Gannett close it down....I think it's great that folks have "a horror story to tell"....certainly is better then no story....

Comment

Working...
                                X