Ax Falling at Star-Bulletin

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Ax Falling at Star-Bulletin

As Leo Lakio noted, the big news up here in the Pacific Northwest was the end of the Seattle Post-Intelligencer as a newspaper proper, making Seattle a 1-paper city. I myself preferred the PI over the Times, I just preferred the style of writing they had there and when you go to the PI website, much of that "essence" is gone. Fortunately many of the writers I paid attention to have their own websites and/or blogs, so it's easy to follow if one wants to.

When I lived back home, Star-Bulletin was always the paper I grew up enjoying, riding my bike to Kamamalu and picking up a paper at 3:30pm every day on my bike. Even though it's turning into something tabloid sized (when I initially read that, I thought that meant it would be the size of "Honolulu Weekly"), it still means slimming down, and that may be good for the short term but it still leaves uncertainty for the long term. The recent skit on SNL about where all of the comic strips will go is a reminder of what we're missing out on.

After high school, had I moved to Seattle, I would have wanted a chance to write for the PI. Had I moved back home, I wanted to try to write for the Star-Bulletin. But I managed to make the paper there during the whole Karen Zacharias episode.

Comment

From Erika Engle: Oahu Publications cuts work force. Overall an 18 percent workforce reduction since the start of the year. The upcoming Star-Bulletin switch to the tabloid format and dropping the second Midweek run are definitely factors, but the overall malaise in the industry is unavoidable.

Comment

Trying to figure out where to post this without starting a new thread...
        Ads in the Advertiser say Charlie Memminger will be a Sunday humor columnist in the Advertiser..."Charleyworld."

Comment

In his final column after 7 years Rick Barboza says due to the format change of the SB his column no longer will fit in the section and that is why he is
          leaving. Too bad we'll probably still be seeing the sydicated "Hints from Heloise" and such and lose a great local writer again.

Comment

Originally posted by Kimo View Post
            Trying to figure out where to post this without starting a new thread...
            Ads in the Advertiser say Charlie Memminger will be a Sunday humor columnist in the Advertiser..."Charleyworld."
            Kinda "funny" that they can fire Dick Adair, long time award winning cartoonist who had been loyal to the Tizer for decades and then go out and hire a has been comedy writer that worked for the competition for 40 years. Seems to me that Dick was 1,000 times better then Charlie. You have to wonder what they are thinking....

Comment

Well we are dropping our 7 day subscription to the SB for Sunday only.
              I wish that things were different. We still get both papers depending on which day.

Comment

Today's paper (Sunday) also marks the final collumns for at least four people in the Star Bull - John Heckathorn (What the Heck), Ray Pendelton (Water Ways), and the people who wrote Hit The Road (Travel) and Fianancial Matters (Money) - all note that the new format won't leave room for their stuff.
                Will be interesting to see what kind of (perhaps expendable, definitely non-local) stuff the paper WILL carry.

Comment

That's exactly what I've been thinking and posted earlier what non-local stuff will take the place. Bummerroo. I gave Heck a couple pieces in the time and
                  was one of the people he called frantically on deadline! I'll miss his contributions.

Good to see Charles Memminger in the Advertiser, I always see him walking around Safeway in our neighborhood.

Comment

Originally posted by leashlaws View Post
                    Good to see Charles Memminger in the Advertiser, I always see him walking around Safeway in our neighborhood.
                    Did he buy mayonnaise in a brown paper bag?

Comment

Item about Sir Charles at http://www.honoluluagonizer.com
                      Burl Burlingame
                      "Art is never finished, only abandoned." -- Leonardo Da Vinci
                      honoluluagonizer.com

Comment

Originally posted by Walkoff Balk View Post
                        Did he buy mayonnaise in a brown paper bag?
                        Yes, and he's a little hard to recognize wearing a nose and sunglasses
                        get up to do so!

I'm on my way to Safeway coincidentally and maybe he'll be there!

Comment

Working...
                        X