This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Weakly flogging

Yesterday's issue in the "Rear Window" section, a quarter-page item called "Movement For Peace" about "Poop For Peace" day, complete with photo of someone sitting on a crapper, pants around their ankles.
    And this is supposed to attract readers and advertisers HOW???

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

Re: Weakly flogging

I'm sure it'd attract flies. Maybe that's a start.

Comment

I suspected that would attract comment here.

Comment

Originally posted by Albert
          I suspected that would attract comment here.

yea. they saw we took about a week of from flogging, so they offer us more fodder...

Comment

Originally posted by LikaNui
            Yesterday's issue in the "Rear Window" section, a quarter-page item called "Movement For Peace" about "Poop For Peace" day, complete with photo of someone sitting on a crapper, pants around their ankles.
            Because it's hilarious?

Comment

Originally posted by LikaNui

I must be showing my age. But this adolescent comedy schtick doesn't seem to do anything for me. And I am glad most all my friends, associates, peers feel the same. The preponderance of scatological humor that seems to be popular nowadays is sooo depressing. Like being forced to live in a big elementary schoolyard.
              I yearn for the old days when people were entertained with wit, irony, intelligence, culturally literate innuendo, oblique farce, subtle pointed commentary... Now it's all peepee, kaka, swear words, arguements and putdowns.

ah well.

Comment

I liked "Do like the natives" better. Native plants for sale at Home Depot - now isn't that an ethical dilemma?

Now taking bets on how long it will take to get THIS thread locked, too...

Comment

Originally posted by kimo55
                  I must be showing my age. But this adolescent comedy schtick doesn't seem to do anything for me. And I am glad most all my friends, associates, peers feel the same. The preponderance of scatological humor that seems to be popular nowadays is sooo depressing. Like being forced to live in a big elementary schoolyard.
                  I yearn for the old days when people were entertained with wit, irony, intelligence, culturally literate innuendo, oblique farce, subtle pointed commentary... Now it's all peepee, kaka, swear words, arguements and putdowns.

ah well.
                  Ah yes kimo lets go back to the thrilling days of yesteryear when Archie Bunker would flush the toilet and we would all laugh or at least the laugh track would be on and Slim Pickens in Blazing Saddles would wave his hat around to avoid catching wind of what was blowing around a campfire full of men eating beans. I guess what your saying toilet humor once had class kind of like the Honolulu Weakly lacks today?

KalihiBoy

Comment

Don't we have enough "flogging the weekly" type of threads? I closed the other 2 just to keep this one going (since it is the newest).
                    I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Originally posted by Kalihiboy
                      Ah yes kimo lets go back to the thrilling days of yesteryear when Archie Bunker would flush the toilet and we would all laugh or at least the laugh track would be on and Slim Pickens in Blazing Saddles would wave his hat around to avoid catching wind of what was blowing around a campfire full of men eating beans. I guess what your saying toilet humor once had class kind of like the Honolulu Weakly lacks today?

KalihiBoy

Uh, yea, if that's all you get from that, if that's all you see, then ok, that is what I am saying.

Your numerous and exactly appropriate examples above perfectly illustrate and confirm my meaning and perspective on this subject. Yes, indeed.
                      Your powers of perception astound me. Your level of insight I aspire to.
                      (or should i say; "you're level of insight...")
                      Last edited by kimo55; April 15, 2005, 08:04 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by mel
                        Don't we have enough "flogging the weekly" type of threads? I closed the other 2 just to keep this one going (since it is the newest).
                        Might be helpful if the date is on the title of the thread.

Comment

That's only if you think you need a new thread for every issue, which I don't. "Weakly Flogging" is obviously a treasured tradition here, but I think it should just run indefinitely as one thread, rolling when neccessary. (Er, but, Mel's the Big Kahuna 'round these parts.)

Comment

Having given due and solemn consideration to the aspersions cast by many here on the juvenile (indeed, infantile?) and altogether gratuitous humor to be found in the pages of our local weekly newspaper, I have arrived judiciously and, if I may say so myself, with aplomb, at a set of preliminary findings.

The fatuous and self-aggrandizing remarks of my peers come, in the end, to naught. Perfidiously and with great approbation I offer the following analysis: though they be quick to judge, the massive body of evidence offered by their many posts here leads inevitably to only one conclusion. To wit: these critics would be hard-pressed, were they called into such service, to produce prose even beginning to approach that of our admittedly inconsistent Weekly.

ok. I'm done.

Comment

lorider sez: "To wit: these critics would be hard-pressed, were they called into such service, to produce prose even beginning to approach that of our admittedly inconsistent Weekly."
                              Ah, no, bruddah. Please allow me to qualify any of my previous remarks in this space. This information may serve to clarify, indeed, the reasons for my strong opinions of the aforementioned weekly rag.

I was the first production manager for the Honolulu Weekly. On Day One, I, along with Derek Ferrar, hauled the desks up the stairs at the original College Walk office.

I purchased, set up, installed and configured the one Macintosh computer (Mac IIfx) on one of those WWII surplus desks.

I then proceeded to single-handedly produce (make the camera-ready art, all-electronic, direct-to-negative) the first issue, V1, NO1, and every edition for the next six months. The original designer, Bud Linschoten, sat at my side, day and night, every production cycle. My duties included producing, in addition to the editorial pages, nearly every ad in the paper.

We published our first edition two weeks, to the day, from the date we carried the desks up the stairs.

The very first headline story deadline was Wednesday, noon. This deadline was promptly blown by the lead writer who was working on the story of some people who were being evicted from Waikiki rental apartments, which were scheduled to be razed. Julia Steele showed up, I believe, Friday night late with her impassioned article written from the scene of the evictions. The story was several pages too long and Steele was unwilling to cut any of it. We spent the night redesigning entire sections of the paper to accommodate the story.

We rebuilt the paper that night and went to press Saturday morning.

When other HW staffers talk about early staff meetings where there was much screaming, yelling, swearing and carrying on, they were probably talking about me.

You see, even though others on staff slipped their deadlines for the sake of a story, or writer's block, or myriad excuses, my deadline never changed: I needed to have film at the printer Saturday morning, or we had no paper. Pressmen were scheduled and waiting at the appointed time, delivery crews would be there at the promised delivery time to pick up and distribute the bundles of papers. If I missed a deadline, dozens of people would be adversely affected. Our press reservation could have been given to someone else who was ready if we were not.

I never missed a deadline. We always went to press on time. But I was often incensed at staff meetings by the attitudes of writers who thought that their story or particular problem was more important than anyone else's.

If you wonder why HW was 16 pages for the longest time? It's because the limited staff could not physically produce any more. And the management (Laurie) was unwilling to spend any more money than she had already to get her paper.

You wonder why I have an opinion on the Weekly? There you go. That might explain it, eh?
                              Make trouble, have fun, do good stuffs.

Comment

Originally posted by pzarquon
                                (Er, but, Mel's the Big Kahuna 'round these parts.)
                                Hey, hey, Hey!

wot da...

Comment

Working...
                                X