This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Weakly flogging

ZZType also launched the original starbulletin.com. I'd say his opinion carries just a little bit of weight.

And of course, there goes the donkey again...

Comment

Originally posted by Palolo Joe
      I've tried to be polite. I''ve tried to be constructive. ...
      I'm glad the name-calling doesn't bother you Kimo. But once again, GO BACK AND READ WHAT YOU POSTED. You are the one calling people names.
      It's just not possible for you to comment on this board without making personal attacks and calling people names, is it jackass?

Comment

Originally posted by lorider
        due and solemn consideration to the aspersions cast... juvenile (indeed, infantile?) and altogether gratuitous... I have arrived judiciously and, if I may say so myself, with aplomb...fatuous and self-aggrandizing remarks of my peers come, in the end, to naught. Perfidiously and with great approbation I offer...these critics would be hard-pressed, were they called into such service, to produce prose even beginning to approach that of our admittedly inconsistent Weekly.

three responses, you choose:

say WHAAAT!?

or;

Hahahahahahahhaaaa.
        I don't THINK so...

or;

I dunno what it is, but it certainly ain't "prose"
        Last edited by kimo55; April 15, 2005, 10:39 PM.

Comment

Three useless posts in one thread. Amazing.

Comment

What we're laughing about over here is that no one even grasped the satire in my post. It was a joke. I was affecting the overblown and fatuous style that seems to be the cultural standard on this board. Maybe I missed, who knows.

ZZRider, at least, had something to say, so I'd like to respond to that.

It's cool that you were there at the beginning, and I have a lot of respect for what you must have gone through in those days. But (forgive me for saying so) your post doesn't really address the current state of the Weekly at all. It's more a "I Used to Work There" thing. It's cool that you were there, but that was a long time ago. I'd be more interested in hearing your thoughts on the current state of affairs at the paper.

We keep going round and round this thing, and I am suddenly inspired to say flatly what I think about the Weekly.

The Bad:
            It's inconsistent. It's too much Island Life and not enough Honolulu. Too often, it doesn't offer enough depth, which is kind of unforgiveable in a weekly paper...that's supposed to be their advantage. It doesn't offer enough news (too much fluff.) And, due obviously to the fact that the writers are by definition not professional journalists, there are too many mistakes.

The Good:
            They give play to stories the dailies don't (they've been the leaders in coverage of native hawaiian politics and environmental issues.) It's fun to read. Given its reliance on amatuers, the writing in the Weekly is pretty good.

And the Goodest Good of all: it's getting better. The Weekly is better than it's ever been. It's less-conspicuously liberal, less political in general, and better written than it's been since I've been reading.

Living in Hawaii is what it is. A lot of stuff here isn't what it should be and/or doesn't compare to what exists on the mainland. That's true of dining, nightlife, the art scene, government, and journalism. The Weekly is not nearly what it could or maybe should be, but one thing I've learned is that we have to be forgiving and encouraging. When I moved home from the mainland after college, I spent a number of years judging our institutions and finding them lacking. Ultimately, I realized that you have to accept this place as it is. This is not an intellectual capitol, nor is it a haven for brilliant art, music or writing. The Weekly is flawed, but at least it's improving. It's no Village Voice, but it has its place.

Comment

Three useless posts in one thread. Amazing.

(just for you, here's number four!)

Joe, I simply don't see why you bother.
              (why do you bother?!) Your propensity to drop a heap of excrement on most everyone here, your seeming discomfort, hatred and argumentative style doesn't give the impression you are happy at all when visiting the house of H.T..
              You can't seem to join in on the banter in any other way than as a schoolyard bully farting on everyone when he realizes most comments fly right over his head.

Why pee on our parade here. Isn't there any other way to share here than your characteristic releasing a puff of your noxious effluence at every turn? Da hell did we do to you to deserve this?!
              Originally posted by lorider
              The Weekly is not nearly what it could or maybe should be, but one thing I've learned is that we have to be forgiving and encouraging. The Weekly is flawed, but at least it's improving.
              It is difficult to forgive or encourage a vehicle that continually dispenses scatology and rude, crude, lewd sexually immature material and that seems to lean toward a high school trendoid ghetto-fabulous lingo more often than not. No, it is not improving. Not from what I have seen years ago.
              (Was that clear? Or still too "overblown and fatuous")
              Last edited by kimo55; April 17, 2005, 09:05 AM.

Comment

Can we please focus on the topic here. Take personal stuff to email. Thank you.
                I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

To address concerns of threads being locked: I merged 2 of the 3 "Weakly flogging" threads into this one. Keep this thread on topic and refrain from personal attacks and we should see this thread go up to 100 before a new one is started (chapter 3 or whatever).
                  I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Originally posted by kimo55
                    Your propensity to drop a heap of excrement on most everyone here, your seeming discomfort, hatred and argumentative style doesn't give the impression you are happy at all when visiting the house of H.T.
                    That's amazing... you could read that quote and apply it to yourself pretty easily Kimo.
                    Originally posted by kimo55
                    Da hell did we do to you to deserve this?!
                    It ain't we, it's YOU. Nobody else calls you on the bullshit you post on here, so I will. At least my posts stay on topic. You'll gladly derail a thread with a stupid comment that you think is witty, or to state your opinion on something that isn't even being currently discussed, or to take a backhanded swipe at other users with jackass remarks.

Speaking of keeping this thread on topic - is the Weekly really improving? Is the general consensus that girls do it better, since all of the top editors there now are female?

Comment

lorider, you basically posted that no one here possesses the talent to write to the level of the HW.

lorider sez: "To wit: these critics would be hard-pressed, were they called into such service, to produce prose even beginning to approach that of our admittedly inconsistent Weekly."
                      My post was intended to point out that I have every right to post my impressions of the weakly here, and in fact, actually worked there. (I know the post was quite long-winded, sorry about that.)

I know for a fact that others here on HawaiiThreads.com are also current employees and alumnus of HW, The Honolulu Advertiser and The Honolulu Star-Bulletin.

If that doesn't qualify us to comment on HW, what does? What qualifies you to post here, or anywhere for that matter?
                      Make trouble, have fun, do good stuffs.

Comment

Originally posted by zztype
                        lorider, you basically posted that no one here possesses the talent to write to the level of the HW.
                        Personally, I am proud of that fact.

Comment

I don't understand the fuss. Some of the people posting here obviously enjoy "flogging" the Weekly and, judging by recent issues, some of the people at the Weekly enjoy reading the comments.

HawaiiThreads.com has certainly gotten a lot of free publicity there.

So what's with all this "moderation" stuff?

Comment

Originally posted by Albert
                            So what's with all this "moderation" stuff?
                            There's nothing wrong with flogging the Honolulu Weekly. But we have two users, Kimo and Palolo Joe, who cannot resist flogging each other. Any thread in which this is allowed to continue without comment is soon derailed with their petty spats, and that's why threads get closed.

Personal attacks of any kind are bad form -- we understand they are unavoidable in some debates, especially if you work with or are linked to any group under discussion... just expect to be called on them.

We've not had to ban users, yet. But heady with a year of survival, I admit my trigger finger is getting itchy.

It also bears noting that the "Hawaii Media" section of HawaiiThreads.com is, in the words of diplomats, a semi-autonomous region. Overall, Mel's tolerance and standards may differ from mine... but I think on the above point, we're both on the same page.

Comment

Yawns, stretches and yawns some more.

Hello everyone.

I'm Auntie Lynn aka Auntie Pupule

I never bothered to check out this thread cause I didn't know what was HW. I still don't know. Anyways, where do I get myself one, for I sure would like to join in the discussion for a "weekly flogging of the weakly" excuse me, weekly.

I await your reply and please keep the noise down cause I can hear all the chaos from the other threads! Honi honi, come now we ohana hea!
                              Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
                              Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

The Honolulu Weekly comes out every Wednesday, it's free and can be found in those red newspaper stands at some bus stops. If there is a Star Bulletin and Adverstier newspaper stand, more than likey the Weekly will be there too.

Comment

Working...
                                X