X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Advertiser chuckle

Originally posted by princessdiz View Post
    That did give me a chuckle but maybe it was 988 tablets and one smooshed one?
    Very good! And if that's the case, then somebody somewhere deserves a refund.
    Hmmmm.
    I wonder if drug dealers ever file suit in Small Claims Court.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

• Re: Advertiser boo-boo

Originally posted by LikaNui View Post
      Which just goes to prove that their priorities are bass ackwards.
      "Dumbing down" journalism just... sucks.
      I'd suggest the problem isn't just with The Advertiser. It's quite a problem with all of the media. That's one of the points that Joey Skaggs makes - how easy it is to manipulate the media - primarily because they do minimal, if any checking.

Comment

• Re: Advertiser chuckle

Well, the final version of the story here in today's Advertiser has resolved it:

"Kugle, who admitted she's been addicted to methamphetamine, pleaded guilty to financing and trying to obtain a parcel sent to her Kailua home in February this year that contained 2 pounds of cocaine and 989 tablets of MDMA, also known as Ecstasy."

Not "nearly 989" but exactly 989.
        Whew. We can all sleep well tonight, knowing that Planet Earth is a better place for this.
        [/poking fun at self]

Comment

Not exactly a boo-boo, but my friend Chrissy points out this article by Wayne Harada, a fluffy interview with Korean pop-star Rain. I guess the space was already allocated and Wayne liked his interview so much, they decided to run it even after the guy's concert was yanked.

Comment

• Re: Advertiser NOT-boo-boo but something about Rain

I saw that Rain piece too and thought exactly the same thing.
            I didn't actually read the piece, because I'm not interested in Rain. Never heard of him before the huge amount of ads for the concert... mostly full-page ads ($$$) in every publication in town, plus a flood of TV and radio spots. And they ran for weeks and weeks. I was thinking the promoter must have had a giant ad budget, though now I'm wondering if the media outlets have been paid or not.
            And now there are reports that he'd only sold 1,500 tickets or less. Hmmmm.
            Excellent story by our own Burl the other day, viewable at this link. And since this is an Advertiser thread, click here to see their version of the story.
            Something about that whole deal smells fishy.

[/thread drift]
            Last edited by LikaNui; June 15, 2007, 10:32 AM. Reason: Added link. And added another one.

Comment

• Re: Advertiser NOT-boo-boo but something about Rain

Originally posted by LikaNui View Post
              Hmmmm.
              Excellent story by our own Burl the other day, viewable at this link.
              I'd love to point out that this is actually two separate stories, nailed together awkwardly by the magic of the Internet. The dashed line is the separation.

For some reason, the Advertiser isn't mentioning that they entered into a highly exclusive promotional deal with the Rain crew. (I wonder if they'll get paid for all that advertising?)
              Burl Burlingame
              "Art is never finished, only abandoned." -- Leonardo Da Vinci
              honoluluagonizer.com

Comment

One quibble with this paragraph:

Lee said he paid a $250,000 guarantee to Star(M), which refuses to return the money. Lee said he cannot refund tickets unless the deposit is returned. "They haven't given back even a penny," said Lee.
                The problem is, it's not clear which Lee from the paragraph before it (Seung Su Lee or Jay Lee) is being quoted.

One of the things that seems a bit fishy with this - who really thinks Rain ranks in the stadium-filling class? Think about what acts have played there. Or more to the point, which ones haven't and went to the Blaisdell instead. This might be fraud. Then again, it might be someone who believed in their own hype who suddenly woke up.

Comment

Originally posted by GeckoGeek View Post
                  Then again, it might be someone who believed in their own hype who suddenly woke up.
                  I think you're in the ballpark here.
                  Burl Burlingame
                  honoluluagonizer.com

Comment

yeah just because you can play a guitar...suddenly you're platinum class
                    Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

The hammer is coming down at the Advertiser .... details to come.
                      Burl Burlingame
                      honoluluagonizer.com

Comment

In the meantime, here's a fun reaction to Gannett's screw-the-consumer-and-our-own-employees mentality
                        Burl Burlingame
                        honoluluagonizer.com

Comment

I've snickered here before about how the "Breaking News" section of The Honolulu Advertiser site basically publishes whatever crap you send them. A new smoothie flavor, a mattress sale, the "promotion" of an MLM pyramid member... Well, a reader of Ian Lind's pointed out a particularly entertaining example of this:

'Teleportation' to be discussed at Kona conference
                          Mr. Ring was a former technician involved in a private effort led by Otis Carr during the years 1955-1960 to develop the OTC-X1, a 45 foot long spacecraft capable of traveling to the moon at near light speed. He recently stepped forward to publicly reveal how various government agencies, led by the FBI, intervened to halt the project after the initial test flight was successful, having traveled a distance of ten miles almost instantaneously. Ring describes the phenomenon as a teleportation spacecraft.
                          I love it.

Comment

I'm surprised there isn't newer fodder than this pulverized dead horse. With the highly intelligent membership of HT, surely you guys can come up with something as fun, if not more so, to masticate. Mistakes happen every day in the press. Botched headlines, cutlines, misquotes, prostrate for prostate. Come on. Make an effort!
                            Aloha from Lavagal

Comment

Dunno why they treat their BREAKING NEWS department as a catchment basin, but they seem to think it's a good idea. Let's hope the real breaking news isn't lost amid the press releases.
                              Burl Burlingame
                              honoluluagonizer.com

Comment

Originally posted by lavagal View Post
                                I'm surprised there isn't newer fodder than this pulverized dead horse. With the highly intelligent membership of HT, surely you guys can come up with something as fun, if not more so, to masticate.
                                I never masticate. My mommy told me it would make hair grow on my palms.
                                But cereally seriously. We brainiacs of course have bigger and better things upon which to chew. We are about to end world hunger, shrink/eliminate the holes in the ozone, cure AIDS and the common cold, and save Noelani from a sordid and unhappy future.
                                But teepos thaipos typos (in any form of media) are just... cheap fun.
                                Please don't begrudge us our moment of levity lowbrow humor superiority.

Comment

Working...
                                X