This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Advertiser boo-boo

This is a sad Breaking News item and I hope the man recovers, but this one's for the Department Of Redundancy Department:

"The 24-year-old worker from Oregon-based Hi-Tech Rockfall Construction, Inc. originally was in serious condition when he was taken to The Queen's Medical Center in serious condition, said Bryan Cheplic, spokesman for the city's emergency services department."

I know, I know, they were in a hurry to post it, they don't have copy editors and/or proofreaders, whatever.
    I'm just saying.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

Originally posted by LikaNui View Post
      I never masticate. My mommy told me it would make hair grow on my palms.
      But cereally seriously. We brainiacs of course have bigger and better things upon which to chew. We are about to end world hunger, shrink/eliminate the holes in the ozone, cure AIDS and the common cold, and save Noelani from a sordid and unhappy future.
      But teepos thaipos typos (in any form of media) are just... cheap fun.
      Please don't begrudge us our moment of levity lowbrow humor superiority.
      I'm just saying there's more to delight you than just aged clips! Seek and you shall find!

And errors aside, I agree that this seems to be a horrendous injury for the Waimea Bay rock worker. It sounds terrible!
      Aloha from Lavagal

Comment

Originally posted by buzz1941 View Post
        Dunno why they treat their BREAKING NEWS department as a catchment basin
        Yes, it's been getting worse. Now they mix national breaking news into it, which used to be strictly at the bottom of their main page (and still is - not sure why the doubling up of those stories).
        And the way they update the breaking news is odd. I've seen stories that were "updated" three times in one day... with not a single change in the story's wording. Don't know if they're just trying to make readers think that they're updating them. Very odd.
        And the most recent stories usually aren't at the top of their list, either. Another "very odd".
        We know some Advertiser editors and staffers are lurkers here on HT. (Like the Honolulu Weakly does. ) Be nice to get some of these questions answered.

Comment

Originally posted by lavagal View Post
          I'm just saying there's more to delight you than just aged clips!
          If I found some of your world-famous meatloaf here on the windward side, that would be delightful!

And errors aside, I agree that this seems to be a horrendous injury for the Waimea Bay rock worker. It sounds terrible!
          I've heard two news reports now that each say -- in the same report -- that his condition worsened... and that they expect to release him from the hospital tomorrow.
          Maybe someone can explain the logic there to me. I must've missed that day in college.

Comment

that's the ticket. fantasy meatloaf.
            Aloha from Lavagal

Comment

OK I normally don't lurk here at HT during the work day, or post, but this not only torqued my jaw ... it should be of the utmost embarrassment to the Tizer.

I know the Bulletin isn't perfect either, but eXpresso? Are you KIDDING ME? This was important enough breaking news to ignore the way it was spelled in the original release AND NOT run the posting through spell check? Pfff.

http://the.honoluluadvertiser.com/ar...761402389.html

Updated at 10:52 a.m., Friday, July 20, 2007

Expresso class to be part of Kona Coffee festival

Advertiser Staff

A professional expresso training workshop will be offered for the first time at the Kona Coffee Cultural Festival in November.
              The course is geared to food and beverage professionals who want to know more about making expresso and will include one-on-one instruction. The Nov. 8 class costs $195 and is limited to 20 participants.
              People who are interested may contact the Kona Pacific Farmers Cooperative at (808) 328-2411.

© COPYRIGHT 2007 The Honolulu Advertiser, a division of Gannett Co. Inc.
              -------------------------------
              Note the headline from the actual news release:
              Kona Pacific Farmers Cooperative Announces Barista Training at Kona Coffee Cultural Festival

Professional Barista Training Will Be on the Program of the 2007 Kona Coffee Cultural Festival for the First Time in Its 37-Year History; a Hands-on Espresso Workshop Offered by the Kona Pacific Farmers Cooperative Will Be Held on November 8 in Kona During the 10-Day Festival on the Big Island of Hawaii

... and some of its text:

... the Kona Coffee Cultural Festival will include a professional espresso training workshop during its 10-day celebration of Hawaii's coffee heritage. The full-day hands-on workshop held by the Kona Pacific Farmers Cooperative will teach participants how to taste espresso, prepare espresso and make popular specialty drinks using Kona coffee.
              I know a lot less than what there is to be known.

Comment

That's fantastic. I love telling folks that the Advertiser will run pretty much anything you send them. But now that I know they're actually introducing errors, maybe it's not so much of a good PR deal after all.

Comment

Originally posted by Erika Engle View Post
                  Expresso class to be part of Kona Coffee festival
                  So - it's not a class on how to use the regular expression development tool, or on the Portuguese weekly newspaper?

FWIW (even though I disagree with it), Merriam Webster dictionary does consider "expresso" to be an accepted variant spelling now.
                  (But I could care less about that sort of error becoming accepted usage. )

Comment

Originally posted by Leo Lakio View Post
                    So - it's not a class on how to use the regular expression development tool, or on the Portuguese weekly newspaper?

FWIW (even though I disagree with it), Merriam Webster dictionary does consider "expresso" to be an accepted variant spelling now.
                    (But I could care less about that sort of error becoming accepted usage. )
                    It is discouraging that such errors can become so commonplace that dictionary editors acquiesce to their inclusion as variants. Would a kid at a spelling bee not get "dinged out" for such an offence? (Using Olde English spelling on purpose.)

Anyway ... posting that earlier item sure made me feel better, though I would never presume to boast perfection.
                    I know a lot less than what there is to be known.

Comment

Originally posted by Erika Engle View Post
                      Would a kid at a spelling bee not get "dinged out" for such an offence?
                      Depends on the dictionary being used as the official reference for the bee. Doesn't mean we picky spelling and grammar types (that includes me, for certain) have to like the change, though. AF noted that "nu-cu-lar" is showing up as an acceptable variant pronunciation of "nuclear" in some reference sources, largely due to the poor grammar of a couple of presidents.

Comment

K-den....when I see Breaking News I expect it to be something IMPORTANT!!!

Early dis morning at 4:27 a.m., the following was posted in The Advertiser!
                        http://the.honoluluadvertiser.com/ar...106327495.html

Assault reported downtown near Pauahi, River streets

Advertiser Staff

"Emergency responders have gone to the intersection of Pauahi and River streets to tend to an assault victim.

No information was immediately available on the victim.

The call for assistance was received about 4:22 a.m."

Uhhhh...Chinatown and all ova the islands have ukapila happenings. What makes dis "Assault" so special dat it became Breaking News?

Please explain the importance of the above report to me.

I am not a Journalist. I am a BLOGGER.

aUNTIE PUpULE
                        Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
                        Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

"Breaking" doesn't necessarily mean "important," 'though it used to be that "news" did. "Breaking" just means a story is being reported as it happens, or just after it happens.

There may be nothing especially newsworthy about this assault, but if it's someone's job to put SOMETHING in that space every so often, that person has to choose something maybe less important. We in Hawaii are used to hearing about EVERY traffic fatality, but in larger cities people would respond to that kind of coverage the same way you respond to this story.

This is actually the major problem with "twenty-four hour" news sources. When CNN went to 'round-the-clock news, it had to fill that twenty-four hours with SOMETHING; this changed the meaning of the word "news."

So imagine it's your job to post something newsworthy in that space every few hours, and you work in a town like Honolulu, and it's the slowest newsday of the week.

I'm just speculating, of course.
                          But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
                          GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Regarding "expresso" vs. "espresso."

I don't think this is a case of the degeneration of language, something I have very strong feelings about. I think "expresso" really IS a variant and NOT merely a bastardization of "espresso." I have heard Europeans say it with a pronounced X, and then one morning I heard a radio interview with the man who INVENTED the espresso machine, and HE calls it "expresso." The etymology points to "espresso" being the original term, so people who hold "expresso" in disdain probably have a case. My inclination is not to judge anyone on this particular word -- there's enough snobbery attached to coffee already.
                            But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
                            GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Originally posted by scrivener View Post
                              "Breaking" doesn't necessarily mean "important," 'though it used to be that "news" did. "Breaking" just means a story is being reported as it happens, or just after it happens.

There may be nothing especially newsworthy about this assault, but if it's someone's job to put SOMETHING in that space every so often, that person has to choose something maybe less important. We in Hawaii are used to hearing about EVERY traffic fatality, but in larger cities people would respond to that kind of coverage the same way you respond to this story.

So imagine it's your job to post something newsworthy in that space every few hours, and you work in a town like Honolulu, and it's the slowest newsday of the week.

I'm just speculating, of course.
                              Wow! I shua would like to have dat job! I wonder if they have any openings...Social Security will pay part of my Wages! I can find plenny Breaking News especially in Chinatown/Kalihi/Palama!

Mahalo for the explanation!

Lynn
                              Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
                              Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

I think as long as the Advertiser has more breaking news on their website than the Star-Bulletin, then somebody at the 'Tiser is happy. So anything becomes breaking news if it happens between the last and next paper editions.

Breaking News: Chicken Crosses Street!
                                I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Working...
                                X