• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• craigwatanabe
    replied
    Re: small newspapers

Originally posted by Leo Lakio View Post
    Coming from Buzz, however, it was genuinely laugh-inducing.
    speaking of Buzz...whatever happened to Madazza?

Leave a comment:

• Leo Lakio
    replied

Originally posted by craigwatanabe View Post
    Oh man that was a low blow
    Coming from Buzz, however, it was genuinely laugh-inducing.

Leave a comment:

• craigwatanabe
    replied

Originally posted by buzz1941 View Post
    The Honolulu Star-Bulletin
    Oh man that was a low blow

Leave a comment:

• buzz1941
    replied

The Advertiser folks aren't showing up any more at Hawaii Publishers Association functions, so likely any paper that's a member is "small" by Gannett standards.

Leave a comment:

• Palolo Joe
    replied

Originally posted by Middleman View Post
    Well, gee, this was so surprising.
    Somebody asks about small newspapers, and it turns into an SB-Advertiser debate again.
    "Hey, what's the best ice cream in town? I like Rocky Road. Didn't the S-B have a rocky road on the way to becoming a great newspaper? Great newspaper? Doesn't the Advertiser suck?"
    Honestly, I think Doc just wanted a list of quality small newspapers without rehashing the daily newspaper war.
    That said, I recommend Pacific Business News.
    Who turned it into a Star-Bulletin/Advertiser debate? Looks to me like you're trolling in this thread.

I agree with GeckoGeek. It appears the idea of what exactly constitutes a "small" newspaper is in the eye of the beholder.

Leave a comment:

• GeckoGeek
    replied

Originally posted by Palolo Joe View Post
    What makes a newspaper "small" in Hawaii?
    Looks like it's in the eye of the beholder. While circulation does play a part, I'm thinking in terms of physical size and frequency of issues. Or maybe more to the point, what is a "large" paper? I'd say it's a full-featured daily. So by my thinking, if it's not a "large" paper, it must be a "small" one.

Leave a comment:

• Miulang
    replied

When I was in J-school, the definition of "small" newspaper meant one that was not published on a daily basis, so that would include any community newspapers that published less than daily. In Honolulu, that might mean Midweek, the Sun, and others.

Miulang

Leave a comment:

• Leo Lakio
    replied

Originally posted by Middleman View Post
    Somebody asks about small newspapers, and it turns into an SB-Advertiser debate again.
    "Hey, what's the best ice cream in town? I like Rocky Road. Didn't the S-B have a rocky road on the way to becoming a great newspaper? Great newspaper? Doesn't the Advertiser suck?"
    Honestly, I think Doc just wanted a list of quality small newspapers without rehashing the daily newspaper war.
    Methinks you are projecting a bit too much of what you want to see into the discussion; I re-read the thread after your post, but I just don't see any SB vs. Advertiser "war" going on here. Both papers have been mentioned; there's been a debate over the definitions of both of the two words in the thread's title - but no comparative bashing between the two major daily papers here.

Leave a comment:

• Middleman
    replied

That said, I recommend Pacific Business News.

Leave a comment:

• Media Guy
    replied

Well, if you'd debate that... I don't see how you could call MidWeek a "small" newspaper.

I don't see how you can call it a real newspaper, either. It's all about the ads and feel-good stories.

But maybe that's just me.

What makes a newspaper "small" in Hawaii? Is it just based on circulation? Or peoples' perceptions of the publication?

With a circulation of over 270,000, the largest in the state, I don't see how anyone can call MidWeek a small "newspaper," which Websters defines as a printed publication containing news, advertisments, correspondence, etc. Usually published daily or weekly. Some people may not care for the content, but it's still a newspaper even if its only "Good News each Week"

Leave a comment:

• Pua'i Mana'o
    replied

What makes a newspaper "small" in Hawaii? Is it just based on circulation? Or peoples' perceptions of the publication?
    I am curious about this, too. All of the dailies for each isle could qualify as being small AND being the dominant paper on the islan--Palolo, wtf is with your avatar?? Blackout eyes are throwin' me off...{{{willies}}}

Leave a comment:

• Palolo Joe
    replied

Originally posted by GeckoGeek View Post
    Honolulu Weekly, Mid Week.
    I'd debate if SB is a "small" newspaper.
    Well, if you'd debate that... I don't see how you could call MidWeek a "small" newspaper.

I don't see how you can call it a real newspaper, either. It's all about the ads and feel-good stories.

But maybe that's just me.

Leave a comment:

• buzz1941
    replied

So what, every rag out there besides the Advertiser is a "small" newspaper?
    Pretty much. And the Advertiser owns most of the small ones.

Leave a comment:

• GeckoGeek
    replied

I'd debate if SB is a "small" newspaper. PBN is more of a specialty. I think the rest would certainly quality.

Island Weekly is a subsidiary of the Advertiser. Not sure the relationship between MidWeek and SB, but at least the advertising is connected.

Leave a comment:

• Palolo Joe
    replied

Honolulu Weekly, Mid Week.
    Originally posted by buzz1941 View Post
    The Honolulu Star-Bulletin
    Originally posted by lavagal View Post
    Well, of course I'd have to say the East Oahu Sun! And, as a former writer, Pacific Business News.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X