Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Local TV Jingles From Yesteryear

Originally posted by kimo55
    In the eighties... I bought a pair of skates "imported" from the mainland for $20. they didn't last. and the fad didn't stick around for a while.
    So I punched a tourist and he gave me $20.
    LOL. Hey, you weren't the actor who tried to tempt the young boy in the commercial, huh? "Hey Cragey! Wanna try some of dis???"

A very well produced set of Hawaiian Tel commercials came out in the mid-to-late 80s, featuring the singing of Robert Cazimero, "Far away and out of touch,..." Beautiful song. My favorite one featured veteran actor Glenn Cannon (best remembered for his role as John Manicote on Hawaii Five-0) seeing one of his ex-little league players in the newspaper playing pro ball, and then calling him on the phone to bark at him, "You're still holding the bat wrong!"
    This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

Remember the Aloha Airlines commercial showing people of different walks of life... Had one song like Oli`e, Oli`e, Aloha brings us together, Aloha makes us one.... This was during the 70`s.....

OGGBOY
      bin dea-dunn dat.

Comment

Originally posted by Frankie's Market
        My favorite one featured veteran actor Glenn Cannon (best remembered for his role as John Manicote on Hawaii Five-0)
        saw him at apple ala moan.

said whassap! like talk to you about your h-5-0 days!he was very friendly and open and said sure why not! we goin talk story sometime. maybe video...

Comment

Originally posted by oggboy
          Remember the Aloha Airlines commercial showing people of different walks of life... Had one song like Oli`e, Oli`e, Aloha brings us together, Aloha makes us one.... This was during the 70`s....
          Yeah, good one! Aloha made a whole bunch of commercials using that jingle, both the short and long versions.

Does anyone remember the Job Lot commercials? "A bargain every day, Job Lot. A bargain every day, JOB LOT!!!" Surprised that the TV stations here aired it, since the melody of that jingle was an obvious rip-off of "Ewok Celebration."
          This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

[...]A very well produced set of Hawaiian Tel commercials came out in the mid-to-late 80s, featuring the singing of Robert Cazimero, "Far away and out of touch,..." Beautiful song. My favorite one featured veteran actor Glenn Cannon (best remembered for his role as John Manicote on Hawaii Five-0) seeing one of his ex-little league players in the newspaper playing pro ball, and then calling him on the phone to bark at him, "You're still holding the bat wrong!"
            Mid 80s, for the most part. Also part of that campaign was the college girl with the Hawaiian bracelet yearning for friends and family far away and a fisherman recalling hanabata days fishing with his dad.

I should remember more about that award winning campaign than I do but was Robert singing solo? I'm remembering being in the recording studio all night with Peter Moon, Bobby Hall and a couple of others (shame on my memory, as it was a memorable night, but I think it was more along the lines of the Peter Moon Band than Sunday Manoa), recording the sound track. Hmmm, I might be mixing up 2 separate Hawaiian Tel campaigns even tho' I worked on all of those spots in various capacities. Many of the scenes were filmed at my house; not the Glenn Cannon one, tho'.

Regardless, they were all beautiful spots. Really good memories, too!

Say hi to Glenn for me, Kimo!

Comment

Originally posted by tutusue

I'm remembering being in the recording studio all night with Peter Moon, Bobby Hall and a couple of others (shame on my memory, as it was a memorable night, but I think it was more along the lines of the Peter Moon Band than Sunday Manoa), recording the sound track.
              I believe you're right about that, tutu, as I'm pretty sure I remember the background song for that commercial, "Far Too Wide For Me", was performed by the Peter Moon Band as a handsome local-looking guy on a beach walked along the breakers while looking out towards the ocean as he reminisced about heart-tugging memories from the past.

"Loved ones are just a phone call away"...or something to that effect.

Comment

Originally posted by lurkah
                I believe you're right about that, tutu, as I'm pretty sure I remember the background song for that commercial, "Far Too Wide For Me", was performed by the Peter Moon Band as a handsome local-looking guy on a beach walked along the breakers while looking out towards the ocean as he reminisced about heart-tugging memories from the past.

"Loved ones are just a phone call away"...or something to that effect.
                The one I'm thinking of had a beautiful, 18ish, local girl seated on the beach, staring at the horizon and turning her bracelet back and forth. Beautiful gal also happened to be one of my daughter's best friends which is how I remember that spot was a 'she' and not a 'he'!!! Come to think of it, tho', I think there was a handsome dude in that scene who walked along the water's edge, admiring her!

And, yes..."Far Too Wide"! And for us to take Peter Moon et al into the studio, esp. overnight, the ad agency must've revised the lyrics to fit the campaign. I don't remember the tag line at all, tho', but what you recall above has a ring of truth to it!

My daughter was a production assistant on that particular spot. I'll have to see what she remembers altho' she claims my memory is better than hers. Poor kid!

Funny timing...but I just found the Pele Award for that campaign on the floor in an oft neglected corner of my office! 1986. I've been in my current office since 1996 and still haven't gotten around to hanging up any of that kinda stuff! Some day, maybe!

Comment

I should remember more about that award winning campaign than I do but was Robert singing solo? I'm remembering being in the recording studio all night with Peter Moon, Bobby Hall and a couple of others (shame on my memory, as it was a memorable night, but I think it was more along the lines of the Peter Moon Band than Sunday Manoa), recording the sound track. !
                  Well, all that I said was that it was Robert who is heard singing., or it sure sounds like a dead ringer for Robert. (At least on the portion of the song that was used in the commercial.) I have absolutely no clue as to who was performing instrumentally. If you say that Peter Moon and others were in that recording, then I certainly take your word for it.

Thanks for the memories.
                  Last edited by Frankie's Market; August 9, 2006, 05:13 PM.

Comment

Well, all that I said was that it was Robert who is heard singing. (At least on the portion of the song that was used in the commercial.) I have absolutely no clue as to who was performing instrumentally. If you say that Peter Moon and others were in that recording, then I certainly take your word for it.

Thanks for the memories.
                    First thing to learn on HT is to *never* take my word for it...esp. if my word is based on memory!

I'm not sure the baseball spot was part of the same campaign that utilized "Far Too Wide". It might've been, but possibly not. So, for all I know, Robert might've been a part of that one. I also remember being in the studio with him but, iirc, that involved United Airlines (again, mid 80s), not Hawaiian Tel. I sure wish I had documented those days! The 80s were the heyday of commercial production in Hawaii, both locally and nationally.

Auntie Lynn...the next time you speak to Robert can you see if his memory is better than mine?! Ah jeez, what am I thinking? Everybody's memory is better than mine! Anyway, Frankie's Market has piqued my curiosity and I'm now on a major trip down Memory Lane!

Comment

The one I'm thinking of had a beautiful, 18ish, local girl seated on the beach, staring at the horizon and turning her bracelet back and forth.
                      Yep, I remember that one too. Those commercials were done so well that I felt bad at the time for not having anyone to call long distance.

Comment

Yep, I remember that one too. Those commercials were done so well that I felt bad at the time for not having anyone to call long distance.
                        Ooooh...good thing you weren't on the set during the dorm room scene when the director needed the 'college girl' to cry! You woulda really felt bad. My daughter had to leave the set 'cuz she started crying!

But tell me more about the one you remember; the one with the guy. I'm not recalling that one at all.

Comment

But tell me more about the one you remember; the one with the guy. I'm not recalling that one at all.
                          The young hapa haole-looking local guy is sitting on the beach and he's flashing back to a time that shows him as a young boy and his young and very trim-looking dark-haired dad having fun tossing around a football, and then the video flashes forward to the present with him at home in his room calling his dad on the phone, and as his dad (who now has a few more wrinkles with his hair quite a bit grayer too) answers the phone, he has a big smile on his face showing that he was very happy to be receiving an unexpected phone call from his son.

Do any of those cobwebs jog any of yours?

Comment

The young hapa haole-looking local guy is sitting on the beach and he's flashing back to a time that shows him as a young boy and his young and very trim-looking dark-haired dad having fun tossing around a football, and then the video flashes forward to the present with him at home in his room calling his dad on the phone, and as his dad (who now has a few more wrinkles with his hair quite a bit grayer too) answers the phone, he has a big smile on his face showing that he was very happy to be receiving an unexpected phone call from his son.

Do any of those cobwebs jog any of yours?
                            Just too many cob webs at this stage of the game! But, I'm wondering...since the Glenn Cannon spot was about baseball, maybe the football spot was in that campaign.

The Pele is for a campaign of 2 spots...'College Girl' and 'Fisherman'. That tells me the other spots were a separate campaign which might account for a change in music. I co-produced the former but not the latter...altho' I did work on the latter in another capacity, but not from start to finish. That would account for less memories! Funny tho' the way you remember the football spot is almost exactly how I remember the fisherman spot. There's a flashback scene in sepia with dad and young man as a kid jumping in an old car, then on the beach fishing. I had to cast a young boy who resembled the young man. The dad was aged via make-up. Then the happy-happy phone call.

I'm currently working with that same ad agency. I'll ask them if they have those old spots in a vault somewhere and if there's any chance they can put them up on YouTube. They currently have 7 Starwood Sheraton videos on YouTube right now!

Comment

Funny tho' the way you remember the football spot is almost exactly how I remember the fisherman spot. There's a flashback scene in sepia with dad and young man as a kid jumping in an old car, then on the beach fishing. I had to cast a young boy who resembled the young man. The dad was aged via make-up. Then the happy-happy phone call.
                              Your cobwebs just jogged mine. Scratch the football, you nailed it. They were shore fishing! Fishing...football, I'm sure you can see how I got them mixed up.

Comment

Your cobwebs just jogged mine. Scratch the football, you nailed it. They were shore fishing! Fishing...football, I'm sure you can see how I got them mixed up.
                                Sure can! They're both 'F' words.

Comment

Working...
                                X