Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Hawaii Five-0

Originally posted by anapuni808 View Post
    The bank that Harry Endo worked at was Honolulu Federal Savings - he was the marketing director. I worked there for many years & knew him well. I also knew his daughter Leslie who also worked at the bank. He was a special person who always had a twinkle in his eye and a smile on his face. My daughter liked him very much because he introduced her to "McGarrett" and would let us come on to the sets when they were filming on weekends. Because of Harry, my daughter thought that McGarrett was her best friend because he would always stop to tell her hello & call her by name. We have some very fond memories of Harry.
    That's an awesome story... thanks so much for sharing it with us.

Comment

From this morning's Star Bull:

http://www.starbulletin.com/features...t_returns.html

Comment

• Hawaii Five-O Fans: My question(s)

I'm currently on Season two.

1. Steve McGarrett is always in a blue suit. Did he wear any other colors oever the years?

2. Kono was played by Zulu. His real name is Gilbert Kauhi. He is (was?) Hawaiian. Where did "Zulu" come from? It sounds African? I know everyone in Hollywood don't use their real names, like Jack Lord (there were reasons why he used Jack Lord.) But Zulu????? Does anyone know the history on why Gilbert Kauhi used the name Zulu.

Comment

• Re: Hawaii Five-O Fans: My question(s)

it was his "Beach Boy" nickname in Waikiki. Most folks who knew him back in the day, knew him by Zulu.
          "Democracy is the only system that persists in asking the powers that be whether they are the powers that ought to be."
          – Sydney J. Harris

Comment

it was his "Beach Boy" nickname in Waikiki. Most folks who knew him back in the day, knew him by Zulu.
            Ok. Thanks. But there is no "Z" in the Hawaiian language. Am I reading too much into this? Just wondering how he got the name.

Comment

Originally posted by cabanalane View Post
              Ok. Thanks. But there is no "Z" in the Hawaiian language. Am I reading too much into this? Just wondering how he got the name.
              http://archives.starbulletin.com/200...ws/story2.html

Got my answer.

Comment

I never knew he got the name in school - I just knew him from his Waikiki days. but the name fits - he had pretty wild hair, especially after a day out on the beach. and "Beach Boy" names weren't always Hawaiian names - my boyfriend was known as "Dynamite". Go figure!
                "Democracy is the only system that persists in asking the powers that be whether they are the powers that ought to be."
                – Sydney J. Harris

Comment

I never knew he got the name in school - I just knew him from his Waikiki days. but the name fits - he had pretty wild hair, especially after a day out on the beach. and "Beach Boy" names weren't always Hawaiian names - my boyfriend was known as "Dynamite". Go figure!
                  You're absolutely right. Most of the Beach Boys didn't have Hawaiian nicknames. Rabbit, Buffalo, Tank, Steamboat, etc.

Jack Lord sometimes wore lighter colored suits, like beige. But as far as his business suits went, they all looked rather conservative. The only part of Jack's Hawaii 5-0 wardrobe that looked flashy were his Aloha shirts, some of which look awfully dated at this point.
                  This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

I have to ask, what were the Waikiki Beach Boys?

I heard/read that elsewhere too.

Who determined who was a "Beach Boy?" Was it self-proclaimed? If I know you, you know Rabbit, and we hang at Waikiki Beach = WBB?

Were they all entertainers?

Comment

Waikiki Beach Boys were/are a group of young men on the beach who gave surfing lessons & outrigger canoe rides to tourists. For a large tip of course - that's how they earned their living. This goes way back in Waikiki. Most hung out at Kuhio Beach down to Royal Hawaiian. The ones I knew were back in the 60's. It was a lot of fun - especially for someone like me who doesn't even swim. But, I always had all the mats & towels from the hotels that I needed whenever I went to the beach. Oh yeah - and they really liked the young haole girls, especially the tourist ones
                      – Sydney J. Harris

Comment

Originally posted by DannyWilliams View Post
                        I get a thrill on how Hawaii used to look like then and I go whoa when I see images I remember walking thru/past as a kid at the time.
                        Hawaii-Five-0-King-Kamehameha-Blues

Second season eighth episode: November 12, 1969
                        One of Hawaii's most treasured artifacts is stolen, the robe of the late King Kamehameha. McGarrett pursues the theft to a group of anti-establishment university students.
                        Brandon De Wilde guest star.

Really cool to see how the Bishop Museum used to look and how you could drive right up to the main gallery front doors!
                        Life is either an adventure... or you're not doing it right!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Menehune Man View Post
                          Hawaii-Five-0-King-Kamehameha-Blues

Second season eighth episode: November 12, 1969
                          One of Hawaii's most treasured artifacts is stolen, the robe of the late King Kamehameha. McGarrett pursues the theft to a group of anti-establishment university students.
                          Brandon De Wilde guest star.
                          I remember that show. It was only a couple of years before De Wilde was killed in a motorcycle accident. A tragic loss to the acting world.

Originally posted by Menehune Man View Post
                          Really cool to see how the Bishop Museum used to look and how you could drive right up to the main gallery front doors!
                          In 40 years, some things do change.
                          This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

Originally posted by Frankie's Market View Post
                            I remember that show.
                            I believed I had seen all the episodes over the years...
                            But if I saw this one as a kid, I don't remember.
                            Of course being the swing shift captain of security @ Bishop Museum,
                            it has 'special' meaning to me. HaHa!
                            Life is either an adventure... or you're not doing it right!!!

Comment

The thing that catches my attention: At 6:38 of the video, in the distant background, you can see a white house with a green roof, on the mauka side of the Bishop Museum grounds. That 2 story structure has been demolished. I believe it was the caretaker's cottage.

Comment

Originally posted by Frankie's Market View Post
                                The thing that catches my attention: At 6:38 of the video, in the distant background, you can see a white house with a green roof, on the mauka side of the Bishop Museum grounds. That 2 story structure has been demolished. I believe it was the caretaker's cottage.
                                Wasn't that still there within the past 5 years or so?

Aj

Comment

Working...
                                X