Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Hawaii Five-0

Originally posted by Frankie's Market View Post
    The thing that catches my attention: At 6:38 of the video, in the distant background, you can see a white house with a green roof, on the mauka side of the Bishop Museum grounds. That 2 story structure has been demolished. I believe it was the caretaker's cottage.
    Originally posted by Kalihiboy View Post
    Wasn't that still there within the past 5 years or so?

Aj
    Yeah about 1 1/2 years ago it was razed.
    It was John Silva's house. He worked for the museum 30? years or so and had a land lease that ran up.
    There's only one house left along Bernice Street that is still occupied and none of the old houses along Kapalama Street are left standing.
    Life is either an adventure... or you're not doing it right!!!

Comment

I went out of order, skipped and watched the last episode last night. Season 12, ep19. This was suppose to be the conclusion.

Story: Steve goes undercover as the professor, and captures Wo Fat. So it ended with Wo Fat in jail. Steve said "Aloha." Wo Fat looks up, smile, and pull out a small nail filer hidden in his shoe.

The End. All Pau. All done.

Ok, so if this was suppose to be the last Five-O series. Wo Fat is finally captured. So why leave a possible opening? Again, at the time, did they hoped for a 13th season? Someone else to continue Hawaii Five-O? A new actor to replace Jack Lord?

What was the thinking back then, at that time?

Comment

Originally posted by cabanalane View Post
        Ok, so if this was suppose to be the last Five-O series. Wo Fat is finally captured. So why leave a possible opening? Again, at the time, did they hoped for a 13th season? Someone else to continue Hawaii Five-O? A new actor to replace Jack Lord?

What was the thinking back then, at that time?
        The plot of the final H50 episode was a farce. (They might as well have had Wo Fat pulling the file out of a chocolate cake, to complete the absurdity.) I suppose this was an uncreative plot device to not make the show's finale so "final," as part of a syndication cycle that can be played over and over.
        This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

There was also talk of a Hawaii Five-O movie, years later (with Jack Lord). I recall reading that it was suppose to be set in Hong Kong. Then something happened and it never materialize.

Hong Kong ~ >> Wo Fat again.

Was this something they planned, at the time, so the last episode was an open door to the movie? Or am I reaching it here?

After 12 years everyone was tired? Looking at the credits, the names are different from the early seasons, so I'm guessing Five O had different production bosses/staff. Therefore, the uncreative script.

Comment

There was also talk of a Hawaii Five-O movie, years later (with Jack Lord). I recall reading that it was suppose to be set in Hong Kong. Then something happened and it never materialize.

Hong Kong ~ >> Wo Fat again.

Was this something they planned, at the time, so the last episode was an open door to the movie? Or am I reaching it here?
            There was no talk about a Hawaii 5-0 movie (bigscreen or made-for-TV) when the series began winding down in season 12. The ratings were on the decline and public interest was waning. Key supporting actors like Kam Fong and Jimmy McArthur had only quit recently and didn't seem like they were game to reprise their 5-0 characters at that particular point in time.

The talk/rumors of a Hawaii 5-0 reunion movie didn't emerge until about a decade after the show's cancellation. The success of the Perry Mason TV movie revivals in the late 1980s probably gave everyone encouragement towards possibly doing something similar for H50.

But before anything could proceed, a big problem emerged. Jack Lord's memory was failing as he began showing signs of Alzheimer's. As his symptoms grew worse, Marie Lord kept him out of the public eye, cutting him off from contact with even his closest friends. This put the kibosh on H50 projects for awhile.

Then in 1997, Stephen J. Cannell got the go-ahead to write and produce a Hawaii 5-0 movie, intended to be a pilot for a brand new series. A brand new starring cast (headlined by Gary Busey) was showcased, with old hands McArthur, Fong, Zulu, and Herman Wedemeyer making cameo appearances. But the networks took a pass on the pilot and the Cannell movie never aired.
            This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

One more. I'm now watching the beginning of the last season (jumping around). Kimo just signed on, and so did Lori (after her husband) died. And only Duke was left from the "old" crew.

I recall reading here (?) that there was only one mentioned that Danny moved to Maui (?), but what about Ben? Sorry, I forget who else was there at the time before the major transition. Seem like the only character they wrote off was Chin-Ho Kelly. He got shot. But there was never really any explanation on what happened to the others. Correct?

(With the episodes I'm watching in order, I'm at Season 3.)

Ok, so my question is this. Was the change in the characters CBS's decision? Did they figure the new characters would boost ratings? What was the reason for the major change (overhaul) of the staring cast?

Kimo, Lori, Truck, and Duke.

I also noticed 5-0 was now directed by Jack Lord.

Comment

One more. I'm now watching the beginning of the last season (jumping around). Kimo just signed on, and so did Lori (after her husband) died. And only Duke was left from the "old" crew.

I recall reading here (?) that there was only one mentioned that Danny moved to Maui (?), but what about Ben? Sorry, I forget who else was there at the time before the major transition. Seem like the only character they wrote off was Chin-Ho Kelly. He got shot. But there was never really any explanation on what happened to the others. Correct?
                With the lone exception of Chin Ho, none of the 5-0 cast who departed the show in the middle of the series ever got a send-off. This applied to both the starring cast (Kono, Ben, Danny) as well as the recurring characters (Mae, Jenny, Che Fong, Doc Bergman, Walter Stewart, John Manicote, etc.) When those actors left the show, their characters simply dropped off the face of the Earth, so to speak. No mention about what happened to them or what they were doing after they left the 5-0 team. This was also true of Danno. (I don't know where you got the idea of Danno going to Maui. AFAIK, the fate of his character was never mentioned at anytime during season 12.)

Ok, so my question is this. Was the change in the characters CBS's decision? Did they figure the new characters would boost ratings? What was the reason for the major change (overhaul) of the staring cast?
                The introduction of all the new season 12 characters was sorta forced upon the show, being that Fong and McArthur both quit, leaving Wedemeyer as the only holdover (apart from Jack Lord, of course.)

The choice of replacements were interesting and does hint at the producer's awareness that Hawaii 5-0 needed a shake-up and change in direction to shore up faltering ratings. But of course, as we now know, the changes didn't work.

Kimo (William Smith) was a sharp contrast to Danny. He was physically imposing and didn't have a "Yessir!" type of personality. Was a rogue-ish type of cop who did things his own way, rather than by the book. The producers were probably thinking of ways to create more drama and conflict within the 5-0 team with the introduction of Kimo.

Unlike a lot of other 5-0 fans, I didn't think the Kimo Carew character was a bad choice as McGarret's right-hand man. If Lord and Smith had been given decent scripts and story ideas to work with, things could have been interesting.

Lori Wilson (Sharon Farrell), OTOH,.... I didn't like so much. 5-0 was long due for having a female officer. But Farrell's overwrought acting style wasn't suited for the role of a cop. IMO, a much better choice would have been someone like Amanda McBroom, who played HPD officer Sandi Welles, a 9th & 10th season recurring character.

Truck (Moe Keale). What can I say? A local wooden actor playing alongside another local wooden actor (Wedemeyer). If you ask me, a better choice to have played a local 5-0 officer would have been someone like Nephi Hannemann. Or maybe even Andy Bumatai.

Just one fan's opinion...

Comment

The introduction of all the new season 12 characters was sorta forced upon the show, being that Fong and McArthur both quit, leaving Wedemeyer as the only holdover (apart from Jack Lord, of course.)
                  So why did they quit? I could not find any writing on the web?
                  Also, did all the others "quit" or was just written off?

Kono - I read that he had a disagreement with the producers or director (?)
                  Chin Ho
                  Ben

Being that they are (were) local, I would figure either the Advertiser or Star Bulletin would do some kind of story on the scoups.

Comment

If you ask me, a better choice to have played a local 5-0 officer would have been someone like ... maybe even Andy Bumatai.
                    That would have been interesting, indeed. What was he then, mid-20s, and just getting his comedy career started? Imagine the early boost this might have given him.

Comment

So why did they quit? I could not find any writing on the web?
                      Also, did all the others "quit" or was just written off?

Kono - I read that he had a disagreement with the producers or director (?)
                      Chin Ho
                      Ben
                      The answers to what you seek (and more) can be found at Mike Quigley's Hawaii Five-0 FAQ.

Originally posted by Leo Lakio View Post
                      That would have been interesting, indeed. What was he then, mid-20s, and just getting his comedy career started? Imagine the early boost this might have given him.
                      I mentioned Nephi first, if only because he had a number of guest star/bit role appearances on H50, which seemed to be a prerequisite for any local actor to "graduate" to a starring role later. This was true of Al Harrington, Herman, and Moe. But if anybody could have broken that mold, it would have been Andy. All In The Ohana really showed Andy's acting chops.

Comment

The answers to what you seek (and more) can be found at Mike Quigley's Hawaii Five-0 FAQ.

Thanks. I book marked it. As I'm going through this, very interesting for a fan like me. I've watched it as a kid, but only became a serious fan 2-3 years ago.

I noticed one thing (so far), there seems to be no mentioning of Kimo (William Smith)?

However, I did find some info about him on the web. More so "the actor" rather than "Kimo - Hawaii Five O."

To my surprise, I always thought he was "local." I guess the name Kimo, Aloha shirt, and the tan just make him look like a local guy.

I understand he was not on Five-O long, but he had almost a Danno role in the show. And if there is talk about Lori, than there should be on Kimo too.

Did he not want to be connected to Five-O? It is because that was a small part of his career?

* Again, I've not comb through the entire site yet.

Comment

Lori Wilson (Sharon Farrell), OTOH,.... I didn't like so much. 5-0 was long due for having a female officer. But Farrell's overwrought acting style wasn't suited for the role of a cop.
                          In the web link you provided, she said during the 96 reunion that she didn't know why she was chosen to be on Hawaii Five-O.

I got the answer. Eye candy. Noticed in her introduction episode. They did a leg shot of her taking off her clothes, and putting on a bath rob, while walking with the camera staying low. That's when the "Check Cashing" bad guys came to her house (the ones that killed her husband). I think that was just a sign of the times, where "sex" sells on TV. And Hawaii Five-O needed some sex appeal of any kind.

Comment

In the web link you provided, she said during the 96 reunion that she didn't know why she was chosen to be on Hawaii Five-O.

I got the answer. Eye candy. Noticed in her introduction episode. They did a leg shot of her taking off her clothes, and putting on a bath rob, while walking with the camera staying low. That's when the "Check Cashing" bad guys came to her house (the ones that killed her husband). I think that was just a sign of the times, where "sex" sells on TV. And Hawaii Five-O needed some sex appeal of any kind.
                            Eye candy? Sex appeal?

If that was the case, there's no question in my mind about which actress was more physically appealing and attractive in the late 1970s:

Amanda McBroom:

Sharon Farrell:

And to boot, Amanda came across a lot more believable as a cop.

To this day, I can't think of a reason why they didn't elevate McBroom to a starring role on Hawaii Five-0. Unless there was some behind-the-scenes politics going on....

Comment

FM-

Where did you find that photo of the cast (or was it a screen grab off the show) from the last season, cool!

I agree Amanda would have been better, did Sharon make it thru the entire season, this I can't recall.

William Smith was a good character actor, you should look up his acting resume on imdb.com

I have not seen him in years!

As for last season changes, why not have brought on Don Stroud as a cop, he was a local boy with the good looks and could have played actually I think a stronger character role than MacArthur ever could. And no offense to MacArthur either as I respected his work on the show, but if you wanted to make changes in that last season by shaking things up, why not bring Stroud aboard?

Comment

Eye candy? Sex appeal?

Unless there was some behind-the-scenes politics going on....
                                I'm not saying she was the best choice, but more like I can see why they added her, when Five-0 had become a collection of old men on TV. If they wanted the hottest female, they could have gotten Farrah Fawcett, since she was out of work at the time. Maybe if we look at it from the story line, Steve M wanted more of a seasoned cop to join Five-O. Any how...

Speaking of politics.

(Lori) Sharon Farrell. Why was she in and out of the opening credits? I understand not every episode feature every actor. But seems like her name was left off on some. And according the the website, her name was listed at time, when she is not in the episode and not listed when she was.

Compare to Truck, his name is always listed in the opening credits even thou Mole K is not in the episode.

Did Sharon Farrell actually had a contract? Was there disputes?

Oh and the talk about Jack Lord's arthritis? I can see it now. How he would grasp his hand, and/or as the camera zoom in to tighten up the shot.

Comment

Working...
                                X