• Re: Newscasters from long ago

Not TOO long ago...
      From Erika this morning:

http://www.starbulletin.com/business...ournalism.html

Comment

AJ remembers Don Pickens in today's Star Bulletin:

http://www.starbulletin.com/features...flashback.html

Also an interesting story from today's NY Times about "we're not going to see anchors grow old anymore..." as budget cuts scuttle longtime careers:

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/12/01/bu...dh591zvVpX4yHQ

Comment

Personally I prefer the news veterans delivering the news, though I have nothing against the younger set who are doing fine jobs out there now. Case in point CBS should have considered letting Bob Schieffer continue to anchor the CBS News, the ratings were actually better with him than Katie Couric, but she was getting the big bucks so they had to go with her. Couric is better suited for soft news and features, similiar to what she did in her years on the Today Show. She should go back to doing that stuff and move Schieffer back to the CBS News. Growing up I loved Frank Reynolds, Peter Jennings, John Chancellor was good and of course Cronkite. Hard to imagine old Uncle Walter is still around these days and everyone else is gone.

Charles Gibson, whom I met at ABC News a couple weeks back has turned into a great newsman over the years, as we chatted away in his office he mentioned to me he has been to 49 states over the course of his career, with Hawaii being the lone exception. With Obama being Prez-elect we agreed he will sometime along make that trip over here to the islands for a story.

Aj

Comment

Originally posted by Kalihiboy View Post
            [...]Couric is better suited for soft news and features, similiar to what she did in her years on the Today Show. She should go back to doing that stuff [...]
            I couldn't agree with you more, AJ. I tried watching her on the CBS News but I couldn't get past her Today Show persona. That's where she belongs altho' Meredith Vierra has filled Couric's shoes admirably, imo.
            Last edited by tutusue; December 1, 2008, 08:39 AM. Reason: typo!

Comment

Yes, there's no doubt that Walter Cronkite was the king of all newscasters.
              I used to love it when he'd be off the air for a few days or a week and they'd announce that Cronkite was "on assignment."
              Because Cronkite had a sailboat named "Assignment" and of course he was "on" it.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

AJ brings back Paul Guanzon this month - from today's Star Bull:

Comment

From this morning's Star Bull re: Harry Endo - not mentioned, but Harry was also for a (short) time a news anchor on Channel 4 (KHVH in those days) when station president Bob Berger wanted to experiment with multiple news anchors - as many as six or seven for the early news - in the 1960s.

'Five-O' actor, 87, dies in Brooklyn
                  NEW YORK » Harry Endo, the actor who played a forensic scientist on the long-running TV show "Hawaii Five-O," has died at the age of 87.

Family members say he suffered a stroke and died Friday afternoon at Brooklyn Methodist Hospital.

Endo played the character Che Fong on the popular show. He was one of the original cast members on the crime drama that began in 1968.

Daughter Leslie Baker says her father was born in Colorado but spent much of life in Hawaii, where he worked for a bank. While doing a commercial for the bank, he was approached to play the role of Fong. After the show ended in 1980, he played a couple of small parts on "Magnum, P.I." He retired from show business in the late '80s.

Endo enlisted in the U.S. Army in late 1941, serving in Europe as a radio operator with an infantry unit. He was married for more than 60 years.

He is survived by his wife, Myrtle, daughter Leslie Baker of Brooklyn and Scott Endo of San Diego.

Comment

In 1968-69 Endo was on the KHVH anchor team along with Don Robbs and Al Michaels. Was the bank Territorial Savings? I believe he did commercials for them as well. A few months ago I attempted to contact him for a story, Robbs and I had traced him to the Big Island, but attempts to reach him were unsuccessful. I gather his last public appearence was at the Ilikai in 2007 for the 5-0 DVD release party.

Aj

Comment

AJ remembers Mel Proctor:

Comment

In 1968-69 Endo was on the KHVH anchor team along with Don Robbs and Al Michaels. Was the bank Territorial Savings? I believe he did commercials for them as well. A few months ago I attempted to contact him for a story, Robbs and I had traced him to the Big Island, but attempts to reach him were unsuccessful. I gather his last public appearence was at the Ilikai in 2007 for the 5-0 DVD release party.

Aj
                        When I knew Harry, he was marketing director for Honolulu Federal Savings. I worked there from 1970-79.
                        "Democracy is the only system that persists in asking the powers that be whether they are the powers that ought to be."
                        – Sydney J. Harris

Comment

Originally posted by anapuni808 View Post
                          When I knew Harry, he was marketing director for Honolulu Federal Savings. I worked there from 1970-79.
                          I heard from Harry's daughter and son recently. He's a story I wish I could have done before he passed.

Aj

Comment

Barbara Marshall, longtime KHON morning news anchor, reporter, producer and most recently chair of the Honolulu City Council has died. In the KHON newsroom over the years with the station she was known affectionately as "Sarge."

Aj
                            Last edited by Kalihiboy; February 22, 2009, 04:18 PM.

Comment

Barbara Marshall, longtime KHON morning news anchor, reporter, producer and most recently chair of the Honolulu City Council has died. In the KHON newsroom over the years with the station she was known affectionately as "Sarge."
                              Over the years, I've had my fun critiquing Barbara's work. But this is really sad. She will be missed. My condolences to her family.

Yikes! Barbara is the second notable media figure in Hawaii to die in the past 3 days. I hope the adage about "deaths comes in 3" doesn't happen in this case.
                              This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

Originally posted by Frankie's Market View Post
                                I hope the adage about "deaths comes in 3" doesn't happen in this case.
                                There were three, Bob Sevey, Barbara Marshall, and Corky Trinidad.

Comment

Working...
                                X