Newscasters from long ago

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Newscasters from long ago

Here are some news teams from way back when....

Aj

1973 KITV: Don Rockwell/Tom McWilliams

1975 KHON: BJ Sams/Barbara Tanabe/Les Keiter

1980 KHON: Paul Udell/Joe Moore

Comment

Remember this old jingle from the 70's that used to open the news:

"We Send to you a Warm Aloha in Everyway from K....I....T...V...Channel 4"

Aj

Comment

• Where they stay now?

Darren Pai, Heidi Umbau, Gregg Takyama... what do they all have in common? They left their TV reporting jobs for something else.

What happened to those guys?

Other people I can think about: Su Shin (KHNL repoter), Maria Quban (KHNL weather person), Reid Shimizu (KHNL sports reporter), Tom Berchaw (sp?) (KHNL weather person)
        How'd I get so white and nerdy?

Comment

• Re: Where they stay now?

How about asking here?

I'm assuming you've tried Google (or comparable) searches already?

Comment

Originally posted by adrian View Post
            Darren Pai, Heidi Umbau, Gregg Takyama... what do they all have in common? They left their TV reporting jobs for something else.

What happened to those guys?

Other people I can think about: Su Shin (KHNL repoter), Maria Quban (KHNL weather person), Reid Shimizu (KHNL sports reporter), Tom Berchaw (sp?) (KHNL weather person)

let's see, i think i can answer most of those questions.

darren is the spokesman for heco, heidi and her husband vince went off to the mainland where they were doing well in atlanta but i think she's a news consultant now, gregg is with public relations for the uh medical school, su shin is spokeswoman for board of water supply, maria is doing weather on tv in orange county, or was the last i remember.

the other two i have no idea. in fact i didn't even know reid was not on air anymore.

Comment

I believe Maria Quban does weather for KCOP-TV 13 in Los Angeles. KCOP-TV is the My Network TV station in LA.

DXer.

Comment

Just saw Reid on TV last night. Word is Russell Yamanoha just left to pursue a career in real estate.

Comment

I decided to merge the "Where they stay now" thread into this one. The subject matter of both were similar and this allows people to follow up on where "newscasters from long ago" are today. Carry on.
                  I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Originally posted by Kalihiboy View Post
                    Here are some more....

KGMB 1982: Don Baker
                    KGMB 1982: Bart Fredo
                    KGMB 1982: Rick Frederickson
                    KGMB 1982: Doug Woo
                    KGMB 1982: Tina Shelton
                    Sadly, Doug Woo passed away on Monday.

http://www.honoluluadvertiser.com/ap...0/1187/OBITS01
                    This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

Originally posted by tvguy View Post
                      Just saw Reid on TV last night. Word is Russell Yamanoha just left to pursue a career in real estate.
                      i thought russell was juggling both careers? unless he finally got to the point where he was making more money and decided to commit to it full time.

and i can't believe doug woo died. he wasn't anywhere near old. what did he die of?

Comment

Originally posted by sin View Post
                        i thought russell was juggling both careers? unless he finally got to the point where he was making more money and decided to commit to it full time.

and i can't believe doug woo died. he wasn't anywhere near old. what did he die of?
                        I knew Doug Woo and I'm totally shocked! He was only 58 (Roosevelt 1967). Way too premature passing.

Comment

Kalihiboy, when are you going to post some of these old newscasts and ads to YouTube so we all can see them?

Meanwhile, just to correct the earlier, earlier post on Tim Tindall: He actually left KITV in 1987. After that, Tina Shelton was the sole anchor -- the first-ever female to solo anchor a weekday newscast in Hawaii. Remember when George Mason did weather, Russ Shimooka did the sports and Nina Bjorkland (sp?) did the business report? I remember when Bjorkland was let go; she told the local media she was canned because KITV didn't want two women behind the anchor desk at the same time.

This is all circa 1988; if you remember, KITV did the only 5 p.m. newscast at the time, anchored by Paul Udell (who was also news director at that point) and featuring wacky segments from Dan Cooke, called "Cooke's Hawaii."

By 1989, with KITV still in third place, the station lured Dick Allgire over from KGMB and paired him with Tina. Dan was brought in to do the weather, while Scott Sweeney did sports. KITV billed themselves as "Hawaii's only REAL news team," as KHON and KGMB still boasted just two-man newscasts (Joe Moore and Les Keiter or Bob Hogue at KHON, and Bob Jones and ?? at KGMB).

Interesting, by the way, that just 17 years ago, no Asian Americans anchored the daily newscasts. And on the weekend, few did -- Dalton Tanonaka at KITV being the exception.

As for Tim Tindall, he came back to the Islands in the early 90s to run KHVH Newsradio. When that operation closed, he was back anchoring at KGMB -- but that didn't last long.

Comment

Hey Doctah maybe if someone could teach me how to put some of these clips in I am good with old school equipment (umatic, beta, etc.) but not modern stuff.

If I remember right after Jack Hawkins was canned because management said he didnt represent a "more local image" he was replaced by Tim Tindall. This was early in 1982.

Tim Tindall briefly ran enewshawaii circa 1998-1999 or so but it didnt catch on and folded. Last I heard he was a media consultant in Los Angeles.

I thought Leslie Wilcox did solo anchor newscasts on KGMB years ago unless you mean as a everyday regular anchor....

As for KITV, Tina Shelton replaced Lynne Waters in 1985 who left for PBS.

I think the KITV weekend crew at one time was Dalton, Shari Shima, Scott Swan (sports).

Aj

Comment

Whatever happened to "Bruce Voss, KITV News." (or whatever station he was on...)

I used to almost always say that on queue(sp?) at the end of his report.

Comment

Originally posted by cezanne View Post
                                Whatever happened to "Bruce Voss, KITV News." (or whatever station he was on...)

I used to almost always say that on queue(sp?) at the end of his report.
                                I believe he is a local lawyer now.

Aj

Comment

Working...
                                X