Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Newscasters from long ago

Originally posted by cezanne View Post
    I used to almost always say that on queue(sp?) at the end of his report.
    cue.

queue = line (as in, cashier queue) or long braid, such as those worn by males in traditional chinese society, pre-westernization.

superbia (pride), avaritia (greed), luxuria (lust), invidia (envy), gula (gluttony), ira (wrath) & acedia (sloth)--the seven deadly sins.

"when you wake up in the morning, tell yourself: the people i deal with today will be meddling, ungrateful, arrogant, dishonest, jealous, and surly..."--meditations, marcus aurelius (make sure you read the rest of the passage, ya lazy wankers!)

nothing humiliates like the truth.--me, in conversation w/mixedplatebroker re 3rd party, 2009-11-11, 1213

Comment

Originally posted by ericncyn View Post
      cue.

queue = line (as in, cashier queue) or long braid, such as those worn by males in traditional chinese society, pre-westernization.

Thank cue!

Comment

Tina Shelton was KITV's lead anchor -- and did it solo -- from 1987 to 1989; Leslie Wilcox anchored KGMB's "Live at Five" starting in 1988, after Shelton... but even then, Leslie wasn't KGMB's lead anchor, Bob Jones was...

And yes! Scott Swan was KITV's sports anchor for a time, NOT "Scott Sweeney." After Swan left, Robert Kekaula became KITV's lead sports, while Rob Fukazaki took over weekends. By the way, Rob still does "Fuk's Follies" here on KABC in Los Angeles

Comment

Originally posted by Doctah View Post
          [...]By the way, Rob still does "Fuk's Follies" here on KABC in Los Angeles
          Hopefully the majority of viewers know how to pronounce that!!! And...that he does't get an over abundance of 'play on words'!

Comment

Originally posted by Kalihiboy View Post
            I believe he is a local lawyer now.

Aj
            wow doctah, you get some knowledge yeah?

and yeah, Bruce Voss is a partner with the firm bays, lung, rose and something. i always forget because the name is too long. but before going to law school he was a pretty good business reporter for KHON and still participated in the ask-a-lawyer segment they had on wednesday nights i think.

i remember once he said being a tv reporter was the most fun job he ever had, but just didn't pay the bills. aint that the truth.

Comment

Ahhh, the good old days at KHON. My first full-time job in Hawaii was in the traffic department at KHON in 1974. BJ Sams, Barbara Tanabe and Les Keiter were the on-air team at the time. My job was to type (showing my age, am I?!), yes, type, 14-16 pages of program logs per day and three logs on Fridays for the weekends and Mondays. And, these were legal-sized puppies! One of my most fond memories was of a man who worked with us whose name escapes me (Irwin, I believe), but who had the most wonderful German accent. Every year on his birthday, he would climb the KHON tower. I kid you not, and he was no youngster. Danny Kaleikini and Zulu hosted segments during the weekend movie matinees and would film those segments every week. Anyone remember Faustino Respicio of Filipino Fiesta? What a kind, gentle man. Lippy Espinda always brought us treats when he'd come in to shoot his commercials. One of Hawaii's most beloved comedians was a Gatliff Corp. (sp.?) service man, and I looked forward to the days when our copy machine went ka-put, because we knew he'd be right over. Dick Schaller was our sales manager then -- another fine soul. Mahalo for the memories, KHON. I'm the ankle biter who ran several commercials with no sound during the 1975 Super Bowl. It took the station six months to make-good those spots, I'm sure. Happy, happy times.

Comment

KITV 1979: Jim Scoutten and Diane Ryan.

Ryan has worked in Phoenix for over 25 years now and is with FOX there, Scoutten is retired from broadcasting but is one of America's foremost experts on guns past and present, even has a cable tv show about it on the mainland.

Aj

Comment

• Re: Where they stay now?

Greg Takayama was a Star Bulletin writer during the 1970's before he went on television.

Aj
                  Last edited by Kalihiboy; July 24, 2007, 03:04 AM.

Comment

Here is one that is interesting:

1970 Al Michaels KITV sportscaster: "I was at the NFL winter meetings and the commissioner brings up expansion and the first city mentioned is Honolulu".

Aj

Comment

1974 KGMB Weekly 6pm News: Sevey, Tim Tindall and Joe Moore
                      1974 KHVH Weekly 6pm News: Don Rockwell, Warren Moran and Chuck Leahy
                      1974 KHON Weekly 6pm News: BJ Sams, Barbara Tanabe, Les Keiter

1974 KHON Weekly 10pm News: BJ Sams and Les Keiter
                      1974 KHVH Weekly 10pm News: Warren Moran, Tom Coleman, Jim Leahy
                      1974 KGMB Weekly 10pm News: Bob Jones, Tim Tindall and Joe Moore

1974 KHVH Saturday 6pm News: Don Rockwell, Don Baker, Chuck and Jim Leahy
                      1974 KGMB Saturday 6pm News: Bob Sevey, Linda Coble and Mel Proctor

Comment

Pacific Business News has a short item in its SCOOPS column today about former KHNL anchor/reporter Barbara Wallace wo is now (their word) a businesswoman. She's been working on a new product for two years that has now hit the mass market - lei-looking luggage straps. Manufactured, of course, in China . . .

Comment

I didnt know where to put this one but somewhere in this thread I thought we talked about people who worked for all of the local stations at one point. I know Paula Young has had her "Mixed Plate" specials on KHON, KITV and KGMB dating back to the mid 80's. So not sure if that one would qualify or not.

Back on topic...Does anyone remember KITV sports anchor Paul Guanzon during the 1970's and early 80's? He works in NYC now.

Aj

Comment

I used to work with Paul back then. His brother Bob, KITV's chief videographer, is maried to Paula Akana.

Paul, along with several other KITV employees left in 1982 to work at the Satellite News Network in NY. Ted Turner bought it six months later, shut it down, and used the studio as one of the original newsrooms for CNN in its infancy.

Comment

Originally posted by Kalihiboy View Post
                              I didnt know where to put this one but somewhere in this thread I thought we talked about people who worked for all of the local stations at one point. I know Paula Young has had her "Mixed Plate" specials on KHON, KITV and KGMB dating back to the mid 80's. So not sure if that one would qualify or not.

Back on topic...Does anyone remember KITV sports anchor Paul Guanzon during the 1970's and early 80's? He works in NYC now.

Aj

PAMELA, not Paula, Young.

I remember Paul Guanzon. He had a younger brother, Mark, who played high school basketball at the time.

Comment

Terrible of me, my bad I was thinking of Paula Akana, Paul Guanzon, Pamela Young all at the same time and got them mixed up when I typed the names!

Aj

Comment

Working...
                                X