Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 1960's local TV shows

Originally posted by oceanpacific View Post
    Wrestling was shown on Friday nights on Channel 9 (KGMB) on a tape-delay basis.
    It was? (tape delayed). Maybe from earlier in the evening. Then again, we might be talking different eras.

Comment

Somehow I remember that the Friday night Wresting matches were held on a Wednesday night at the HIC (now the Neal Bliasdell Center) to be shown later on Friday.

I do remember also that the Friday night airing happened after the 10pm news.

And the Saturday version was in a smaller space since the audience were sitting in fold up chairs with 2 or 3 rows.

Comment

Originally posted by helen View Post
        Somehow I remember that the Friday night Wresting matches were held on a Wednesday night at the HIC (now the Neal Bliasdell Center) to be shown later on Friday.

I do remember also that the Friday night airing happened after the 10pm news.

And the Saturday version was in a smaller space since the audience were sitting in fold up chairs with 2 or 3 rows.
        The Friday night re-plays were from Wednesday night, but not necessarily from two days prior. They were usually the preliminary matches with guys like Hahn Lee, Luigi Macera, Lou "Shoulders" Newman, Pat Matson, and Harry Fujiwara on the card. Once in awhile, a main event with Curtis "the Bull" Iaukea, Billy White Wolf, Neff Maiava, Handsome Johnny Barend, and Ripper Collins would be shown.

Comment

The wrestling matches were held in the KGMB studio where the newscast is now aired. It was called 50th State Wrestling or something like that. KGMB's studio for the news room was the back wall behind where the tv cameras now back against. Eventually the studio became the floor space for the news studio.
          Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Someone told me long ago that the locker room scene was just a room with a locker in the background. If you really think about it no one actually opened up the locker to change clothes or even hearing someone singing in the shower in the background.

So I take it this locker room was also at the KGMB studio for both Saturday and Friday night airings?

Or was the locker room scenes never live but taped at an eariler time?

Comment

Originally posted by oggboy View Post
              Was Roller Derby ever live. Can`t remember if was local or from the Mainland.
              I Know had matches at (HIC) and on Maui at War Memorial Gym babk in the late 60`s.
              OGGBOY
              My grandfather use to take me to the Roller Derby and the Wrestling Matches at the War Memorial Gym on Maui when I lived there. I moved to Oahu in 1967 and started watching both matches at the Civic Auditorium. Those were the good old days. As well as the high school and UH football games at the Termite Palace. When on Maui I would see high school games on tv that were played at Termite Palace. Finally in 1969-71 I was able to play high school football at Termite Palace.

Comment

Originally posted by Kalihiboy View Post

When did Lippy Espinda pass on?

Aj
                I'm writing about Lippy in my next book. He died in 1975.

The article is entitled: Who was the King of Pidgin?

The first person to use pidgin in advertising seems to be Chotaru Miyamoto who founded Musashiya on Hotel and River Streets in 1896. Residents were so delighted with his newspaper ads, that began running in 1920, that they sent them to friends all over the world.

David Akana Espinda Jr., owned a used car lot and gas station on Kalakaua Avenue around 1960. He wanted a unique TV commercial. “I used pidgin and it caught on like wildfire,” Lippy, as he was known to his friends, said.

At the end, he’d say “shaka brah!” It became his signature. “It was a word we used as kids playing marbles.” Espinda explained. It came to mean “anything fine.”

School teachers complained, but the public loved it. He became known as the King of Pidgin.

KHON gave him his own TV show - Lippy’s Lanai Theatre, and he had regular appearances on Hawaii Five-0, minus the pidgin.

Many thought he was Portuguese, but he was Hawaiian, Chinese, Spanish and Irish. “My mother’s name was Molly Ryan. I let you in on a secret. I might be related to Jack Lord. His real name is Ryan. When I told him dat, he said ‘heaven forbid!’”

Lippy passed away in 1975, but his “shaka brah” has become part of island vocabulary.

Bob Sigall

Comment

Originally posted by Creative-1 View Post
                  I'm writing about Lippy in my next book. He died in 1975.

The article is entitled: Who was the King of Pidgin?

David Akana Espinda Jr., owned a used car lot and gas station on Kalakaua Avenue around 1960. He wanted a unique TV commercial. “I used pidgin and it caught on like wildfire,” Lippy, as he was known to his friends, said.
                  At the end, he’d say “shaka brah!” It became his signature. Lippy passed away in 1975, but his “shaka brah” has become part of island vocabulary.

Bob Sigall
                  Great book, with fascinating and informative stories, can't keep the book down for a second.

Recently I watched Lippy on some old 2 inch quad tapes I had transferred, from the 1960's, he indeed was the "King of Pidgin".

Aj

Comment

At the end, he’d say “shaka brah!” It became his signature. “It was a word we used as kids playing marbles.” Espinda explained. It came to mean “anything fine.”

School teachers complained, but the public loved it. He became known as the King of Pidgin.
                    On the TV screen, yes.

On the radio medium, I would think that the late Willie Moku (William Saragosa) deserves some consideration for the "King of Pidgin" title. No, he wasn't the first radio DJ to speak in Pidgin over the airwaves. But unlike those before him, Willie didn't just inject some Pidgin "here and there" for comedic effect. He projected a thoroughly "Moke" personality over the air. Willie was truly a pioneer and his success paved the way for countless number of DJs who would embrace Moke and Tita-type personnas.

KHON gave him his own TV show - Lippy’s Lanai Theatre, and he had regular appearances on Hawaii Five-0, minus the pidgin.
                    Yep. But the single role for which he is best remembered was his guest-starring role in the 3-part Brady Bunch episode filmed in Hawaii.
                    This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

RE: the Brady Bunch three-parter - Lippy played the role of Mr. Hanalei, who directed the Brady boys to return the cursed tiki to a cave. Whereupon they were captured by Vincent Price.

Comment

Originally posted by mel View Post
                        Captain Honolulu was on Channel 4 KHVH and even at KITV until he ended. KITV had a short lived kids show with Sgt. Sacto called "Rocketship 4".

"Filipino Fiesta" with Respicio started on Channel 2 in the 1960s and lasted for many years until what... the 1980s or 1990s. It was a Sunday morning fixture that featured Filipino entertainment.

I remember watching many of these when I was a kid.
                        ================
                        Anybody ever watch the Japanese TV Show on KGMB on Sunday Mornings? One of the segments was a cooking show done locally with Mrs. Sakai. I got the recipe for the BEST Mochiko Chicken I ever tasted from that show!

Comment

Originally posted by DNR55 View Post
                          ================
                          Anybody ever watch the Japanese TV Show on KGMB on Sunday Mornings? One of the segments was a cooking show done locally with Mrs. Sakai. I got the recipe for the BEST Mochiko Chicken I ever tasted from that show!
                          ==================
                          Correction: At 6:00am-It was called "Japanese TV Revue" and Mrs. Sakai's show was called "Televi Kitchen" sponsored ny Chun Hoon Market-Everbody's Market.

Comment

Kalihiboy checks in with another great piece in the Star Bull:

http://starbulletin.com/2008/02/04/f...flashback.html

Comment

One more thing about Robin Mann not mentioned in Kalihi Boy's article. She made apperances on Hawaii Five-0, such as the episode "Over Fifty? Steal!" from the third season. (She was a bank vault clerk and looked pretty much the way she did when she was the host of Romper Room.) Imdb.com listed only that one episode, but I think she made numerous other uncredited appearances.

Keep up the good work, AJ!
                              Last edited by Frankie's Market; February 4, 2008, 07:30 PM.
                              This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

Glad you folks liked it. If you go to the online edition right now of the Robin Mann story, the opening theme to Romper Room (via video clip) has been included.

Aj

Comment

Working...
                                X