Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Congrats Walter Makaula! He's movin' on up!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Congrats Walter Makaula! He's movin' on up!

Originally posted by DNR55 View Post
    =====================
    A sincere congratulations to Walter...I recently stumbled across this clip recorded about 19 years ago from a Japanese TV show. I think it is quite funny.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EycXJmj6pac
    Umm, Angelakeen.

What the...?

P.S. Are there any "Before They Were Reporters" video on Mari-ela?
    Beijing 8-08-08 to 8-24-08

Tiananmen Square 4-15-89 to 6-04-89

Comment

Originally posted by Random View Post
      Umm, Angelakeen.

What the...?

P.S. Are there any "Before They Were Reporters" video on Mari-ela?
      =============
      Walter had a succesful carreer as a model in a previous life. In that fashion/talent show in Japan it was reported that he won a rather substantial amount of cash and prizes.... But I still laughed my --- off when I first saw it.

Comment

Originally posted by DNR55 View Post
        =============
        Walter had a succesful carreer as a model in a previous life. In that fashion/talent show in Japan it was reported that he won a rather substantial amount of cash and prizes.... But I still laughed my --- off when I first saw it.
        Is it a coincidence that Will Ferrell was a cheerleader and a tv anchorman in SD?

Comment

Originally posted by tutusue View Post
          Not in so many words...

Yes, I do see your point. To be honest, I don't know why I posted my lengthy reply when my only beef was the way you presented your initial post. Ya know...it's not what you say but how you say it!

Hmmm...that implication never occurred to me. I think you might be over intellectualizing and reading too much into a very harmless, simple topic. My interpretation of Angela's post was that it was about congratulating Walter on his new opportunity without implicating anything about you, the viewer. Often, when people take a job in another market, it tends to be an advancement with more exposure, more money and a new challenge. Otherwise...why leave? Except when one is offered a job in Hawaii, of course! I'm sure you'll understand that when someone is already in Hawaii, then what? Walter is seizing an opportunity. If that's not a "step up" to you I can honor that.

My move to Hawaii in 1978 was definitely a demotion in my career; one I was willing to take. My pay was cut by more than half and there were far fewer opportunities. I had to counter that by taking jobs in other areas of production with which I wasn't familiar. Fortunately, I wasn't a fish outta water in the industry! Now...here's the important part! Yes, I was and am much happier here...because the lifestyle is so much nicer. It's been a trade-off and lifestyle wins. I would be willing to bet that had I been born and raised in Hawaii, gotten my feet wet in the local film industry and was offered a chance to work in Hollywood...I would've taken it. And I, almost certainly, would've moved back to Hawaii!!!

I'm trying to convince my daughter that her lifestyle will benefit, too! But, oooooh, would she ever take a career hit...a huge demotion for her.

I'm now sorry that I used that expression!

Why would Angela or anyone else make up anything? It could be something as simple and unassuming as..."Hey, Walter, the folks at HT are happy for you." Not ALL the folks or 5 folks. Just..."the folks"...something simple and harmless and definitely not worthy of over intellectualizing!

I, personally, feel that the potential of silent lurker support is fair in this situation as it does happen. I'm always amazed at the number of PMs and private email I get in response to my posts. Sometimes it's support. Other times it's discussion. So I know that this is definitely a by-product of participating in HT.

Oh, scriv, you're an articulate, overly bright, contributing member of HT and sometimes you get in your own way! What would we do without you?
          Man, you guys take this forum a weeee bit too seriously!!!
          GO RAIL GO!!!

Comment

Originally posted by bf334 View Post
            Man, you guys take this forum a weeee bit too seriously!!!
            That's what's so cool about HT. We can be serious or silly...at will!

Comment

Originally posted by tutusue View Post
              That's what's so cool about HT. We can be serious or silly...at will!
              Many of us like to be seriously silly, for that matter. It's all good fun (or at least it tries to be) - we get to share ideas, be creative, debate opinions, disagree, agree, misinterpret, make new friends and connections, practice our writing skills, make bad puns ... ... ...

Comment

Walt's a good guy, wish him all the best.

In a related issue, there was a former KGMBer (not ku'u) who went to San Diego years back to anchor and report at the WB station there. Whatever happened to Dave Carlin?

And since we're on the subject, what's the list of former Honolulu tv alum hitting mainland airwaves now? There's Teri Okita, Emily Chang, weather girls Ku'u and Maria Quiban, Neil Everett, Dave Carlin, Nancy Wiener (forget what her married name is now but she's on ABC national news a lot) and another girl from KHON, forget her name but she's in Salt Lake now. Fujii or something. And that's just the names I can think of off the top of my head. I think there's a couple more guys, Cedric Moon and Will Tran as well, both former KGMBers. Oh and Ross Shimabuku is the main sports anchor in Phoenix, AZ.

Wow, lots nowadays. Walt will have plenty of company at least.

Comment

Originally posted by sin View Post
                  In a related issue, there was a former KGMBer (not ku'u) who went to San Diego years back to anchor and report at the WB station there. Whatever happened to Dave Carlin?
                  He is currrently a reporter for WCBS-TV in New York City.

Comment

Originally posted by sin View Post
                    [...]Wow, lots nowadays. Walt will have plenty of company at least.
                    There's also Carter Evans. While I don't remember him reporting at KGMB (he did), he's moved thru some of the ranks on the mainland and currently works for CNN. To me, he'll always be that little kid running around at the beach with his brother and cousin!

Comment

Don't forget Larry Beil (SF), Rob Fukuzaki (LA), Diane Ryan (Phoenix), Scott Swan (Indy), Vince Gerasole (Chicago) and Janet Zappala (Philly).

Aj

Comment

Depends how far back you wanna go, but there's Susan Hutchison, Melanie Granfors, Emerald Yeh, Stacy Sakamoto...etc., etc., etc.

Comment

Susan, Melanie and Emerald are out of the news business now, not sure about Stacy.

Aj

Comment

I think we're slopping over into Television Memories...

Comment

Originally posted by Kimo View Post
                              I think we're slopping over into Television Memories...
                              True. The one's I listed as far as I know are still very active in news.

Aj

Comment

Don't forget LINDA TAIRA on the Washington, DC beat ......

Comment

Working...
                                X