No announcement yet.

Sam Choy on Iron Chef America

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Sam Choy to be on Iron Chef America?

Sooo...51 to 45, Cora over Choy. Not exact, there were decimals, but I forget the exact scores. But it was cool just to see him on the show. My parents were all surprised to see the sous chef Aaron. Apparently, they knew him from a bowling alley snack bar he used to work at...I suppose I'll take their word for it since I have no clue.
    myspace | facebook | puppy moonwalk

Comment

Re: Sam Choy on Iron Chef America

Sam lost to Cora.

My overall impression is that Sam didn't take the competition as seriously as Cora (the Iron Chef) did.

Sam breezed through and finished minutes before deadline, seeming too casual on camera about the whole approach.

Cora struggled throughout the competition, but pulled the win with superior presentation, originality and - above all - taste-winning dishes.

One of the judges had an obvious hang-up with Sam's clams being "too tough" or "too this or that", so that vote likely influenced the outcome. But still, there were other culinary factors that Sam came short of.

Also, it was "politically incorrect" to see the chairman wear a lei throughout the competition. A nice gesture towards Sam's roots, yet too biased for a competition-based show.

Win or lose though, Sam illustrated the most important facet of all... Aloha spirit! He hugged, embraced and reminded everyone on set about what makes Hawaii so special. And that in itself is the most important contribution anyone from Hawaii can bring to national TV!
      Last edited by Pomai; August 15, 2005, 03:30 PM.
      sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

Originally posted by Pomai
        Also, it was "politically incorrect" to see the chairman wear a lei throughout the competition. A nice gesture towards Sam's roots, yet too biased for a competition-based show.
        weeellll, of course Kimo's gotta say sumpin like:
        "a lei should not be used as a prop or a novelty." But... maybe it was given by Sam as a gesture... then, who cares!

Comment

Originally posted by Pomai
          But Sam is the one who gave the lei to the Chairman at the beginning of the ep for Aloha spirit.

Comment

Isn't the Chairman a Hawai'i boy?

Comment

Yup, he is.

Comment

Chairman's name is Mark Dacascos.

That one female judge cost Sam the victory. She was complaining about too many types of starch in one of his dishes, when it was obvious she had no issues with eating lots of starch before coming on the program.

The clam shooter with lomi salmon looked pretty damn tasty.

Comment

I finally watched my tape last night. I too had some problems with the chubby female judge, her petty complaints were pretty childlike. I mean, the ingredient is clam, and she's complaining about chewiness or a bit of sand, give me a break! It was hilarious when Sam casually said "Just spit it out"... LOL... I would have expected more raw dishes from both chefs, raw clams are sooo good. All in all, like the old show you have to play the game to be competitive, bust out the gourmet ingredients and maybe he would have had a chance, too often the foie gras or truffle make the difference... or even some lobster or something... And I think it was a tactical error to finish ahead of schedule, the judges will be so much more favorable to a chef frantically working up to the last second... he could have at least faked looking busy, IMO.

Comment

Working...
                  X