X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Hawaii TV News Anchors and Reporters - Book 3

Originally posted by bcr1652 View Post
    Gosh, KHNL has been experiencing a lot of departures and new arrivals of reporters/anchors throughout the years. Could that be one reason of their low ratings? And since they're moving out from Sand Island to a new building/studio by the end of the year, I only hope it will get better for them.
    More likely, the other way around. Because KHNL has had such low ratings for years, they continue to hire and fire at a breakneck pace, trying to find the right “mix” of talent that will attract more viewers to their station. They even tried to eliminate their sacred cow, sports, by shafting Russell Yamanoha and Reid Shimizu. The practice creates a double whammy, as reporters and anchors realize staying with a station that has so far, mostly failed in its marketing strategy, will only affect their reputation negatively. Thus, they jump ship at the first opportunity.

The bleeding will continue, until KHNL’s leadership can fashion a way to dig itself out of last place, a position it has held for nearly a decade.

We can’t be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans.

— U.S. President Bill Clinton
    USA TODAY, page 2A
    11 March 1993

Comment

Originally posted by TuNnL View Post
      More likely, the other way around. Because KHNL has had such low ratings for years, they continue to hire and fire at a breakneck pace, trying to find the right “mix” of talent that will attract more viewers to their station. They even tried to eliminate their sacred cow, sports, by shafting Russell Yamanoha and Reid Shimizu. The practice creates a double whammy, as reporters and anchors realize staying with a station that has so far, mostly failed in its marketing strategy, will only affect their reputation negatively. Thus, they jump ship at the first opportunity.

The bleeding will continue, until KHNL’s leadership can fashion a way to dig itself out of last place, a position it has held for nearly a decade.
      This would be a problem when Hawaii runs out of cute, young reporters. David Letterman makes a joke about America Idol is needed because we have a shortage of people wanting to be celebrities or stars.

Comment

Seems there are more departures at KHNL rather than people being let go. Actually the Summer Olympics should give the station some sort of a ratings boost, in years past local ratings in Hawaii for the Olympics has always trended to be higher than in other mainland cities for whatever reason. I think the 1988 and 1992 Olympics for KHON, NBC at the time they (KHON) had the highest ratings for any U.S. city for tuning into the Olympics.

Because of the Olympics viewers might tend to stay and watch the newscast, also because of the odd run times of the summer games in some cases KHNL news is the only news station on air at that time. So, if not a ratings boost for KHNL news, it might at the very least be a ratings boost for the station overall.

What I cannot understand is why a station in last place wants to have more newscasts than any other station. You can't blame them for a lack of effort on their part, but to some it may be looked upon as overkill.

Aj

Comment

Originally posted by Kalihiboy View Post
          I think the 1988 and 1992 Olympics for KHON, NBC at the time they (KHON) had the highest ratings for any U.S. city for tuninginto the Olympics.

I've gotta question where you're getting this. With ratings periods being in Feb. May and Nov., they completely miss the summer games. I'm guessing you weren't referring to the winter games.
          I know Nielsen tracks overnight numbers for the bigger markets, but Honolulu isn't metered, and I don't believe the market ever has been.
          I’m not saying you’re wrong, I’m not sure that kind of information exists.
          I don’t know how or if KHON got any local numbers for their Sugar Bowl broadcast. I’m willing to bet it was one of the most watched broadcasts ever for Hawaii(well, maybe just the first quarter), but they’ll probably never really know.

Originally posted by Kalihiboy View Post
          What I cannot understand is why a station in last place wants to have more newscasts than any other station. You can't blame them for a lack of effort on their part, but to some it may be looked upon as overkill.
          Staffing.

Generally when you add a newscast, you don't have to add much staff, but you still get to sell ads for the entire time.
          In KHNL's case(for their 11am newscast), they probably only added a producer. Then again, maybe they didn't. It's possible they switched the schedule of an overnight(morning show) producer.
          They did not have to hire a new anchor, reporter or photog. They probably did not have to hire any new studio/tech people.
          Its normally cheaper than trying to fill the space with syndicated programming, and the ability to market yourself with the "most coverage" probably outweighs the profit you might lose by filling the time with an infomercial.
          At 6:30, they probably have one producer doing a second newscast. Normally producers are only responsible for one newscast.

The drawback KHNL faces with all their newscasts....the time their anchors can devote to reporting is limited.
          Originally posted by mike
          scsdogg,
          You obviously are someone in the business and know what you are talking about.....

Comment

Originally posted by scsdogg View Post
            With ratings periods being in Feb. May and Nov., they completely miss the summer games. I'm guessing you weren't referring to the winter games.
            Does the Honolulu market, like many others, do year-round ratings now? (I know that wouldn't apply to 1988 and 1992, but might KHON have purchased overnight numbers for Olympics coverage at that time, knowing the value of such "bragging rights"?)

Comment

The drawback KHNL faces with all their newscasts....the time their anchors can devote to reporting is limited.
              How many anchors do you ever see in the field doing stories, especially from KHON and KGMB? Joe Moore? Not in this century. Kim Gennaula? Not gonna happen. Keahi? Maybe, but rarely, from what I've seen.

I've seen KITV's Paula Akana out from time to time, and on occasion, Shawn Ching; can't speak to Gary and Pam, because I'm rarely home in time for the early newscasts. I haven't watched KHNL's news in quite some time; I don't think Dash gets out all that often, but I believe Stephanie does.

Comment

Gotta agree...I don't think there is any way Olympics viewer "bounce" would carry over to the next (November) ratings period. Even if the station did pay for a special report of this week's news number following Olympics broadcasts, I'd have to guess that advertisers still go by the more conventional Nov-Feb-May books.

Comment

Originally posted by Spin Dr. View Post
                  How many anchors do you ever see in the field doing stories, ... can't speak to Gary and Pam,....
                  Gary Sprinkle does special feature reporting on environmental subjects; has done some great underwater type of stories like I think in the Barrier Reef.

Pam is well known for her "Mixed Plate" specials and segments highlighting food, culture, travel and entertainment. She's quite a regular in the field.
                  I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Originally posted by Spin Dr. View Post
                    How many anchors do you ever see in the field doing stories, especially from KHON and KGMB? Joe Moore? Not in this century. Kim Gennaula? Not gonna happen. Keahi? Maybe, but rarely, from what I've seen.

I've seen KITV's Paula Akana out from time to time, and on occasion, Shawn Ching; can't speak to Gary and Pam, because I'm rarely home in time for the early newscasts. I haven't watched KHNL's news in quite some time; I don't think Dash gets out all that often, but I believe Stephanie does.
                    Especially from KHON? Ron and Tannya have stories each day, as does Kirk.
                    At KITV, either Pam or Gary has a story each day. It usually runs at the end of their 5. Dan, Mahea, and Ben also report quite often.
                    At KGMB, I've seen Keahi out on stories, I don't know how often he goes out in the field. I know some of their morning show people, especially Howard, do stories for the evening newscasts.
                    I saw Dash do something from China last night, I didn't catch the entire story, so I don't know much about it.

That leaves us with Joe and Kim?....um ok.
                    Originally posted by mike
                    scsdogg,
                    You obviously are someone in the business and know what you are talking about.....

Comment

Actually almost all of Hawaii's anchors were or still are perfectly capable reporters. Howard, Paula, Kim, Keahi - everybody but Joe Moore (I believe) worked in the field at some point. (Actually, Joe worked in the field, but it was as a sports reporter right?) Anyway, it's too bad they can't pitch in more with covering stories because of their schedule, especially shawn ching. With his law degree I'm surprised that he's not down at court covering stories there, even just part time.

Probably the anchor I respected the most for her reporting skills was Ann Botachelli (sp). She did a great job digging up the latest biz news.

Comment

I think I spent too much time at the library last night looking thru old newspapers on microfiche. The Winter Olympics in 1988 and 1992 had huge local ratings and it was reported in the Advertiser KHON at the time had the highest ratings of any U.S city tuned into the Olympics on NBC affiliates. Where they were able to get that information that made them standout from other mainland cities from that I do not know.

I should have stated hopefully for KHNL's case, the Summer Olympics can help their ratings cause for the future if viewers choose to continue to watch the newscasts following the games each night. They can also pad the commercial breaks with station promos to help draw in viewers too.

As for anchors going out and reporting the stories, can anyone remember Sevey, Rockwell, BJ Sams leaving the anchor desk and reporting on stories some 30 years ago? I know Sevey filed reports nationally for CBS on the John Lennon shooting because of its local ties to Mark David Chapman.

Maybe additional duties as news director they were simply too busy to file reports in and out of the station. I know Bob Jones would report on stories sometimes flying over to the Big Island to cover various events. Many, many years ago big events like the moon landing, political conventions the lead anchors traveled to the mainland and reported stories similiar to what you'll be seeing in the next week or two with Shawn and Keahi at Channel 4 and Channel 9. Gina is being sent from Channel 2, but is not the lead anchor at the station. Correct me if I'm wrong but I dont recall any reporters or anchors being sent to the conventions in recent memory. The Obama buzz has to be a major reason and because of fair use laws they have to report on both candidates.

Aj

Comment

Originally posted by sin View Post
                          Actually almost all of Hawaii's anchors were or still are perfectly capable reporters. Howard, Paula, Kim, Keahi - everybody but Joe Moore (I believe) worked in the field at some point. (Actually, Joe worked in the field, but it was as a sports reporter right?) Anyway, it's too bad they can't pitch in more with covering stories because of their schedule, especially shawn ching. With his law degree I'm surprised that he's not down at court covering stories there, even just part time.

Probably the anchor I respected the most for her reporting skills was Ann Botachelli (sp). She did a great job digging up the latest biz news.
                          I would say "were" much more than "are." While I'm certainly not saying their reporting skills don't exist, some of them haven't flexed those muscles very much lately. When Bob Jones and Jade Moon were anchors at KGMB, they were out in the field on a regular basis, filing their stories in addition to fulfilling their anchor duties (and Bob Jones was also the acting news director during one part of tenure at KGMB, and still managed to get out on stories).

And yes, Joe Moore did sports at KGMB back in the day, when Bob Sevey and Bob Jones were doing news.

The trend these days -- and not just in Hawaii -- seems to me to be anchors who seldom ever get out of the station to sharpen their journalistic skills.

Comment

Yes Joe Moore filed many reports when he did sports for both KGMB and later KHON. He was the sports anchor at KHON from June 1978-May 1981 with BJ Sams, Barbara Tanabe and later with Paul Udell. At that time Les Keiter mostly did sports anchoring on weekends.

Joe was at KGMB from 1969-1978, his replacement, Jim Leahey, who had come over from KITV. Also in 1978 Mel Proctor also departed from KGMB, his replacement Gary Sprinkle. During Joe's earlier days at KGMB, the late Jim Lathrop was the other sports anchor.

Aj

Comment

About KHNL being able to sell more ads with more newscasts, that is a great point and one I never considered.

I find it interesting that G.M. John Fink continues to hold that job even though KHNL has been last in the ratings for a long time.

My only explanation is that he is very good when it comes to the bottom line for companies: profit.

I'm sure KHNL is making money and continues to do so under John Fink, which is why he is still KHNL's leader, despite ratings.

I've gotta question where you're getting this. With ratings periods being in Feb. May and Nov., they completely miss the summer games. I'm guessing you weren't referring to the winter games.
                              I know Nielsen tracks overnight numbers for the bigger markets, but Honolulu isn't metered, and I don't believe the market ever has been.
                              I’m not saying you’re wrong, I’m not sure that kind of information exists.
                              I don’t know how or if KHON got any local numbers for their Sugar Bowl broadcast. I’m willing to bet it was one of the most watched broadcasts ever for Hawaii(well, maybe just the first quarter), but they’ll probably never really know.

Staffing.
                              Generally when you add a newscast, you don't have to add much staff, but you still get to sell ads for the entire time.
                              In KHNL's case(for their 11am newscast), they probably only added a producer. Then again, maybe they didn't. It's possible they switched the schedule of an overnight(morning show) producer.
                              They did not have to hire a new anchor, reporter or photog. They probably did not have to hire any new studio/tech people.
                              Its normally cheaper than trying to fill the space with syndicated programming, and the ability to market yourself with the "most coverage" probably outweighs the profit you might lose by filling the time with an infomercial.
                              At 6:30, they probably have one producer doing a second newscast. Normally producers are only responsible for one newscast.

Comment

Originally posted by foolish heart View Post
                                About KHNL being able to sell more ads with more newscasts, that is a great point and one I never considered.

I find it interesting that G.M. John Fink continues to hold that job even though KHNL has been last in the ratings for a long time.

My only explanation is that he is very good when it comes to the bottom line for companies: profit.

I'm sure KHNL is making money and continues to do so under John Fink, which is why he is still KHNL's leader, despite ratings.
                                Fink about it.
                                Aloha from Lavagal

Comment

Working...
                                X