This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Hawaii TV News Anchors and Reporters - Book 3

I'm curious did it used to be mandatory for the station owners and/or general managers do deliver editorials on air years ago? I do know in the 1960's and 1970's KHON GM Duane Harm, KGMB's Cec Heftel, KHVH's Bob Berger all delivered editorials following newscasts, in fact I have many of them on tape, they are interesting to watch. Though I can see how they can bore some, I don't mind Fink's editorials at all. They only last a minute or two and if you don't want to watch that is why they invented remotes.

Aj

Comment

Originally posted by Kalihiboy View Post
      KHON GM Duane Harm, KGMB's Cec Heftel, KHVH's Bob Berger all delivered editorials following newscasts ... I don't mind Fink's editorials at all. They only last a minute or two and if you don't want to watch that is why they invented remotes.
      The question isn’t whether or not you “like” the editorial segments, it’s whether or not such segments are appropriate — particularly immediately preceding, during or following the newscasts. Is it the role of journalism to sway opinion? We know Cliff Slater represents “Stop Rail Now” and that Brian Schatz represents the Democratic Party. Is it ethical for John Fink to publicly represent the opinion of KHNL/KFVE?

We can’t be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans.

— U.S. President Bill Clinton
      USA TODAY, page 2A
      11 March 1993

Comment

Also in 1978 Mel Proctor also departed from KGMB, his replacement Gary Sprinkle.
        Aj
        I remember Mel Proctor when he did a tongue in cheek segment on his sports report. The UH basketball team had a 7 foot bench warmer in George Ritter. He was referred to by Mel Proctor as the pride of Massapequa,New York. The segment showed the different ways George Ritter can sit on the bench. There was even a fan section called Ritter Sitters. I know this town from a friend who went to this school in Massapequa, now known for the high school that Jerry Seinfeld attended.
        Last edited by Walkoff Balk; August 15, 2008, 07:42 PM. Reason: add

Comment

On the subject of TV news editorials, I think people in the industry figure, if newspapers can have a whole section of editorials why not a minute or two for a TV editorial. I don't mind them; they only take up a couple of minutes and if you hate em, as someone previously indicated, you can always use the remote.
          I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

As I recall, the think about it segment at khnl began after they were bought by raycom so I believe as General manager mr fink must do those editorials as a matter of company policy. In fact, I recall him NOT wanting to do them and grunbling after he taped the first one. That was a while ago though but who knows, maybe he likes doing them now.

As for anchors not going out into the field, I find that hard to believe. Reporter stffing in many newsrooms are so shorthanded that they need to use every available warm body to go get the news. Whether that means sending a reporter, anchor, cameraman or even an intern out, newsrooms will do what they have to do.Hawaii is too small of a market for prima donnas and I suspect any anchor that refuses to go gather the news in the field may not last long in honolulu. Well, except for this market's 300 lb media gorilla.

Comment

Yes Joe Moore filed many reports when he did sports for both KGMB and later KHON. He was the sports anchor at KHON from June 1978-May 1981 with BJ Sams, Barbara Tanabe and later with Paul Udell. At that time Les Keiter mostly did sports anchoring on weekends.

Joe was at KGMB from 1969-1978, his replacement, Jim Leahey, who had come over from KITV. Also in 1978 Mel Proctor also departed from KGMB, his replacement Gary Sprinkle. During Joe's earlier days at KGMB, the late Jim Lathrop was the other sports anchor.

Aj
              Yes aj, joe was a SPORTS reporter, but was he ever in the field to cover NEWS? I don't think so. He went from sports reporter to sports anchor to news anchor. However other KHON sports anchors who have followed in Joes footsteps have done their share of news reporting also, such as howard d, jai c, and ron m. In fact I would say ron is one of hawaiis best tv news reporters

Comment

Originally posted by mel View Post
                On the subject of TV news editorials, I think people in the industry figure, if newspapers can have a whole section of editorials why not a minute or two for a TV editorial.
                I appreciate your attempt to give excuses for KHNL, but your rationale is easily debunked. A newspaper editorial is a collaboration of voices. You notice that there is no byline for these print articles. That is deliberate. Often more than one editor or writer has directly contributed to these articles. In any event, more than one editor/writer has given his or her blessing to the story, before it went to print. Are there some editorials that are a single voice? Sure. Dave Shapiro is one. Lee Cataluna is another. The difference is, there’s a whole slew of them. Not just one.

In contrast, at KHNL we have Fink, Fink and Fink. Does he even have a journalism degree? What gives him the right to tape an unsolicited op-ed piece and plaster it wherever the station couldn’t sell ad space? Personally, I think it’s both arrogant and condescending.

Originally posted by sin View Post
                As I recall, the think about it segment at khnl began after they were bought by raycom so I believe as General manager mr fink must do those editorials as a matter of company policy. In fact, I recall him NOT wanting to do them and grunbling after he taped the first one. That was a while ago though but who knows, maybe he likes doing them now.
                As always, it proves the old theory: power corrupts absolutely. If your version of events ring true, Fink demonstrated some true decency and ethics in the beginning. I imagine he simply learned to live with something he knew wasn’t right.

We can’t be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans.

— U.S. President Bill Clinton
                USA TODAY, page 2A
                11 March 1993

Comment

If McNamara, Rosenberg and Blangiardi gave editorials following newscasts would you have a problem with it? The editorials Heftel, Berger, Harm gave during the 1970s covered topics from Vietnam, Watergate, Fasi, Governor Burns, cost of living, etc. all differences they had back then with those people or positive aspects of what was going on at the time. I am not defending Fink, but the criticism seems more personal in your attacks of him. Have you complained to the station or suggested the other station GM's come on air and give equal time to discuss whatever issues they may have.

Aj

Comment

Yes aj, joe was a SPORTS reporter, but was he ever in the field to cover NEWS? I don't think so. He went from sports reporter to sports anchor to news anchor. However other KHON sports anchors who have followed in Joes footsteps have done their share of news reporting also, such as howard d, jai c, and ron m. In fact I would say ron is one of hawaiis best tv news reporters
                    No since he became news anchor I dont recall any news reporting, maybe in his contract it states he doesnt have to do any reporting.

I agree Ron is one of the best.

Aj

Comment

Joe Moore has NEVER been in the field to report the news. He's an anchor in makeup, reading off a teleprompter in the studio.

Comment

Originally posted by Composite 2992 View Post
                        Joe Moore has NEVER been in the field to report the news. He's an anchor in makeup, reading off a teleprompter in the studio.
                        For 12 years he reported tons of sports stories here locally as well as reporting on UH when he was on the road for games. Much of these reports exist on video I have them and have seen them. However, since May 1981, no news reports, we already have known this fact for over 25 years so nothing has changed in that regard. It's not a surprise to any of us.

Like I said before how many news reports were Sevey, Rockwell and Sams doing during the 1970's? How often did you see them out of the anchor chair or hearing a news report they had filed? I've talked to one local anchor no longer in the business who told me they were paid seperately based on being an anchor and then extra for the field reports they filed which I thought was both unusual and interesting.

Aj

Comment

We may have talked about this earlier but think of the former sports anchors who became news anchors locally:

Bob Basso
                          Joe Moore
                          Gary Sprinkle
                          Susan Hutchison
                          Dash
                          Shawn Ching
                          Ron M
                          Jai C

to name a few....and all have proven they can transition over to news and do it very well.

Aj

Comment

Originally posted by Leo Lakio View Post
                            Does the Honolulu market, like many others, do year-round ratings now? (I know that wouldn't apply to 1988 and 1992, but might KHON have purchased overnight numbers for Olympics coverage at that time, knowing the value of such "bragging rights"?)
                            No....well Nielsen doesn't. Nielsen only tracks numbers year-round(daily) for "metered" markets. Meters track what a household is watching every 15 minutes. Last I heard Nielsen only had meters in the top 50 markets. Honolulu is ranked 73 for the 07-08 season.

I don't know if KHON would have purchased overnight numbers then for the summer games. I believe the winter games were in Feb. both years, so they would not have had to purchase extra research then.
                            Originally posted by mike
                            scsdogg,
                            You obviously are someone in the business and know what you are talking about.....

Comment

I think I spent too much time at the library last night looking thru old newspapers on microfiche. The Winter Olympics in 1988 and 1992 had huge local ratings and it was reported in the Advertiser KHON at the time had the highest ratings of any U.S city tuned into the Olympics on NBC affiliates.
                              This is surprising to me considering how many Hawaii athletes have participated in the winter games.
                              I wonder if that ends up as a question on Jeopardy someday.
                              scsdogg,
                              You obviously are someone in the business and know what you are talking about.....

Comment

Originally posted by TuNnL View Post
                                The question isn’t whether or not you “like” the editorial segments, it’s whether or not such segments are appropriate — particularly immediately preceding, during or following the newscasts. Is it the role of journalism to sway opinion? We know Cliff Slater represents “Stop Rail Now” and that Brian Schatz represents the Democratic Party. Is it ethical for John Fink to publicly represent the opinion of KHNL/KFVE?
                                When papers endorse candidates, should I beware that coverage of a given race could be slanted?
                                Being the GM(and not paid as a journalist), it's his JOB to represent the public opinion of KHNL/KFVE.

A newspaper editorial is a collaboration of voices. You notice that there is no byline for these print articles. That is deliberate. Often more than one editor or writer has directly contributed to these articles. In any event, more than one editor/writer has given his or her blessing to the story, before it went to print. Are there some editorials that are a single voice? Sure. Dave Shapiro is one. Lee Cataluna is another. The difference is, there’s a whole slew of them. Not just one.
                                Show me a newspaper with the staff of a TV station, and I'll show you a paper that has MAYBE one full-time columnist.
                                I'd rather see an opinion by one person than by a "collaboration of voices." (sounds like the Borg)

In contrast, at KHNL we have Fink, Fink and Fink. Does he even have a journalism degree? What gives him the right to tape an unsolicited op-ed piece and plaster it wherever the station couldn’t sell ad space? Personally, I think it’s both arrogant and condescending.
                                Are newspaper editorials just space to fill to avoid a blank page?
                                Who cares if Fink has a journalism degree....or any college degree....or a HS diploma. He's the GM. If he wants to put monkeys throwing feces around on the air, he has that right. (until he gets fired....or promoted)

Did Fink punch your dog or something?....Really...what's the deal?
                                scsdogg,

Comment

Working...
                                X