Finding a Place to Rent

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Finding a Place to Rent

IIRC there are areas called Keolu Hills, Kailua Heights, and Kailua Bluffs in Kailua. I live in Enchanted Lake and it is near these areas but they are not one and the same.

Comment

Re: Finding a Place to Rent - WE DID IT!!

Originally posted by turtlegirl View Post
      Hooray!! We found a nice one bedroom ohana house that is inexpensive and comes with a little semiprivate yard for Ninja, and and area for Sven to do his painting!!!! We are SO happy! The place is perfect for us, AND the lady who owns it is very very sweet! It's in Kailua Heights!! Mountain views!! Close enough to the beach for me, and also just like the "little shack in the hills" that Sven wanted!

WE ARE SOOOOOO HAPPY!!!!!

hoorah!

"chaos reigns within.
      reflect, repent and reboot.
      order shall return."

microsoft error message with haiku poetry

Comment

Originally posted by WindwardOahuRN View Post
        IIRC there are areas called Keolu Hills, Kailua Heights, and Kailua Bluffs in Kailua. I live in Enchanted Lake and it is near these areas but they are not one and the same.
        I have always loved the name "Enchanted Lake."

Many many years ago a good friend lived in Kukilakila there and I always
        thought I would live there someday, it was the coolest unit!

Comment

Originally posted by kani-lehua View Post

hoorah!

Now that's sooooo nice to hear!!!! Makes me wanna....cry I need a hug!
          Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Great news, turtlegirl! Sounds excellent. Ninja can even roam the wilds of the yard!

Comment

Originally posted by leashlaws View Post
              I have always loved the name "Enchanted Lake."

Many many years ago a good friend lived in Kukilakila there and I always
              thought I would live there someday, it was the coolest unit!

sometimes the lake is not very, "enchanted".

also, the maintenance fees are around $1000/unit. now that was several years ago.
              "chaos reigns within.
              order shall return."

Comment

Originally posted by craigwatanabe View Post
                Now that's sooooo nice to hear!!!! Makes me wanna....cry I need a hug!

heh. saw some really good looking travertine at the home depot, iwilei store.
                "chaos reigns within.
                order shall return."

Comment

No maintainence fees, it's an ohana. Just need a weedwacker.
                  Ninja is gonna love it!
                  But I wonder, can me and the sweetie rent kayaks anywhere on "Enchanted Lake"? It looks like there's a river to Kailua Beach Park from there, and we'd love to paddle that!
                  ~ This is the strangest life I've ever known ~

Comment

Originally posted by kani-lehua View Post
                    sometimes the lake is not very, "enchanted".

also, the maintenance fees are around $1000/unit. now that was several years ago.
                    We never ended up buying there, we had a really nice unit at Haiku Woods
                    down the street from where we live now. The maintenance fees there
                    were quite high as well.

And you're right, the lake is not always so "enchanted!"

Comment

No maintainence fees, it's an ohana. Just need a weedwacker.
                      Ninja is gonna love it!
                      But I wonder, can me and the sweetie rent kayaks anywhere on "Enchanted Lake"? It looks like there's a river to Kailua Beach Park from there, and we'd love to paddle that!
                      i think you would rent a kayak near the kalapawai store. there's a shopping complex (don't remember the name) that rents from there and at kailua beach. however, just be careful to watch out for "brown water" and heed any signs that are posted. some times when there are heavy rains, there are sewage spills that affect the water quality out there. that's why i said that the lake isn't always that "enchanted."
                      "chaos reigns within.
                      order shall return."

Comment

OMG! Did I just rent a place on a landfill or something? Where does this sewage come from? I looked all over the map, and I can't figure out why Enchanted Lake would be so crummy. Granted, tourist maps don't show sewer drains or anything....
                        Is Enchanted Lake a manmade lake?
                        ~ This is the strangest life I've ever known ~

Comment

OMG! Did I just rent a place on a landfill or something? Where does this sewage come from? I looked all over the map, and I can't figure out why Enchanted Lake would be so crummy. Granted, tourist maps don't show sewer drains or anything....
                          The sewage comes from the toilets that are in your house and in the houses of the neighbors.

Landfill? Nah, more like transformed swamp....bog.
                          http://thissmallfrenchtown.blogspot.com/
                          http://thefrenchneighbor.blogspot.com/

Comment

I don't think the sewage is coming from the homes. That area does have sewer lines and no septic or cespool systems.

Enchanted lakes however was manmade so there have been issues in the past with stagnant water and mosquitoes.
                            Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

this is just one example of when the lake has been contaminated by sewage spills:
                              February 24, 2006

HEAVY RAINS CAUSE KAILUA SEWAGE SPILL

Heavy and prolonged overnight rain caused a spill of an estimated 1,625 gallons of untreated sewage from two Enchanted Lake manholes this morning.
                              The spill occurred at Hele Street and Keolu Drive, near the Kailua Heights Wastewater Pumping Station, between 7:40 to 8:45 a.m. Runoff from the heavy rains entered the sewer system in such volume that it overwhelmed the pump station’s ability to move it on. This was despite several hours of work by crews from the Department of Environmental Services Collection Systems Maintenance Division to reduce the amount of water flowing into the station with pumper trucks.
                              “Runoff enters a sewer system through what we call inflow and infiltration,” said Eric Takamura, director of Environmental Services. “Heavy rain and flooding causes runoff to enter the system in volumes that it was never designed to handle. That’s why it’s important for homeowners to avoid illegal connections to the municipal sewer system from gutters and drains.”
                              The spilled wastewater entered a nearby storm drain that leads to Kaelepulu Pond. Warning signs are being posted around the pond and downstream bodies of water, including Kailua Beach. Water samples are being taken. The public is advised to heed the signs and avoid affected areas. The state Department of Health has been notified.

please note that this article was back in 2006, but spills can occur during heavy rains. it doesn't happen very often and one must heed all warning signs for affected areas such as kaelepule stream, enchanted lake and kailua beach. here's another link to an article that talks about the introduction of a bill to protect kailua's waterways: http://the.honoluluadvertiser.com/ar...803180325.html
                              Last edited by kani-lehua; March 28, 2008, 09:14 AM.
                              "chaos reigns within.
                              order shall return."

Comment

I arrive on Oahu next week, so I'm starting to look into rentals. I'm shooting for a one bedroom or a studio. Just a simple, decent place to live for a year until I can zero in on where to buy. I've been watching Craigslist. Here's a couple of examples in Kailua and Kaneohe. If anyone's familiar with the rental scene, can you tell me if these deals seem pretty standard, or common? I've seen ads on Craigslist saying there are better deals in the local papers, but from what I've gathered, these look like fair bets. Anybody have a perspective on that?

http://honolulu.craigslist.org/oah/apa/728228867.html

http://honolulu.craigslist.org/oah/apa/728167463.html

Also, Turtlegirl, a little while after you'd gotten to Oahu I recall one of your posts saying you had some stories or thoughts to share about your experience of finding a place. Anything that might be useful to me in this process?

Thanks

Comment

Working...
                                X