Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Thinking of moving to the Big Island

Originally posted by cougar88nw
    Still waiting to here something positve!
    Local wāhine
    Puna butter
    Cheap travel deals to Las Vegas
    Spam, Portuguese sausage, rice, and eggs on the breakfast menu at McDonald's
    Kama'āina discounts

Hmm, that sorta sounds like a recipe for a quickie wedding and honeymoon.
    Ā Ē Ī Ō Ū ā ē ī ō ū -- Just a little something to "cut and paste."

Comment

Originally posted by cougar88nw
      Still waiting to here something positve!
      ta heck wi' dat;

I am still waiting to THERE something positive!

Comment

How old are you? Threats are never a good idea. This whole world belongs to God, not us, He put each and every one where he put them for a reason. "love thy neighbor" He is coming back soon!! Don't waste your time being angry or playing the name game. spend your time learning aboub your messiah and his return!!!!! It isnt going to matter where you live, each and every one of us will have to answer to him and be accountable for each and every word thought and spoken. The good news is that "JESUS" came and died for "us" (whole world) We are forgiven by one drop of blood!!!!!!!!!! HE is the FATHER of every human being out there!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! This world is so full of hate and deciete and anger and pain. This is the time we should be lifting each other up-not putting each other down. I encourage your heart brother to get to know your "FATHER" because he is coming very soon!!!!!!!!!!!!! He can calm the rage in you, just as he did for me. It much easier to live peacfully than to live in turmoil. I would be happy to share with you or anyone out there Gods word. We are living in the end times and the BIBLE proves it. If you would like to know more, please just let me know.
        Your sister in Christ.

Comment

are you sure!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Well, it's a damn sight better than "it's only about ME!" Although the majority of the world doesn't read the Bible...

Miulang
            "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by kimo55
              are you sure!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
              YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! VERY VERY SOON, ITS A GOOD THING!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

ok!!!!!!!!!!!
                Thanks, Martha!!!!!!!!!!! Stewart!!!!!!!!!!!
                but please stop yelling!!!!!!!!!!!
                !!!!!!!!!!

!!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by its not about "us"
                  YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! VERY VERY SOON, ITS A GOOD THING!!!!!!!!!!!
                  Does this mean I can skip filing my taxes this year? That would be a good thing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
                  Last edited by sinjin; April 5, 2006, 06:51 AM.
                  “First we fought the preliminary round for the k***s and now we’re gonna fight the main event for the n*****s."
                  http://hollywoodbitchslap.com/review...=416&printer=1

Comment

The missionaries said the same thing when they brought Christianity to the islands. They also brought smallpox, exploitation, racism, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by its not about "us"
                      How old are you? Threats are never a good idea. This whole world belongs to God, not us, He put each and every one where he put them for a reason. "love thy neighbor" He is coming back soon!! Don't waste your time being angry or playing the name game. spend your time learning aboub your messiah and his return!!!!! It isnt going to matter where you live, each and every one of us will have to answer to him and be accountable for each and every word thought and spoken. The good news is that "JESUS" came and died for "us" (whole world) We are forgiven by one drop of blood!!!!!!!!!! HE is the FATHER of every human being out there!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! This world is so full of hate and deciete and anger and pain. This is the time we should be lifting each other up-not putting each other down. I encourage your heart brother to get to know your "FATHER" because he is coming very soon!!!!!!!!!!!!! He can calm the rage in you, just as he did for me. It much easier to live peacfully than to live in turmoil. I would be happy to share with you or anyone out there Gods word. We are living in the end times and the BIBLE proves it. If you would like to know more, please just let me know.
                      Your sister in Christ.
                      Was this post sent to everyone on H/T? All I wanted was a little information on the Islands and now you think we need to have Bible study?
                      I am not full of "hate and deciete and anger and pain" so how does this relate to me? You seem to have some inside information on the coming of the Messiah so give me some dates so I will know if I should even be thinking about moving.
                      Try to enjoy life! "You won't get out alive"

Comment

Originally posted by Jonah K
                        Local wāhine
                        Puna butter

snip
                        Your favourite climate is usually just a short drive away.
                        Wildlife you won't find anywhere else (some of it in your home - save gas!).
                        Most active volcano in the world.
                        Some very cool astronomy.
                        A very fine micro-brewery that hosts a great beer festival.

These are a few of my favourite things...

Peter F

Comment

cougar88nw,
                          if I would have kids, I would stay away from the Kona side. Yes it is has a nice climate, yes it has beautiful beaches. You can probably live with mossies, frogs etc, but the things that bothers me the most about Kona is vog (volcanic air pollution) Especially doing sports in vog is pretty bad for your health.
                          I live on Oahu right now and on Kona wind days we get vog even over here. And it is pretty hard on the lungs - especially if you have asthma or allergies.
                          Even though the eastside (Hilo side) of the Big Island gets vog occasionally too, the air is usually very good because of the trade winds that come straight off the ocean. Puna has a lot of outdoor activities and even 1-3 acre properties are very affordable.

Michael
                          www.PunaGuide.com

Comment

Originally posted by vindona
                            the things that bothers me the most about Kona is vog (volcanic air pollution)
                            Dr. Tam (UH) recently did a study of Big Island students and found no direct correlation between child asthmatics and exposure to vog.

The study found higher asthma rates in North and East Hawaii, but higher volcanic air pollution in South and West Hawaii.

There may be other problems related to vog; but suprisingly asthma was not higher in voggy areas, it was lower. (Asthma rates were higher in homes were there was smoking).

The Star Bulletin reports that "Vog is formed when sulfur dioxide emitted from the volcano reacts with sunlight, oxygen, dust particles and water in the air to form tiny droplets known as sulfate aerosols, sulfuric acid and other substances. Kilauea, which has been erupting continuously since Jan. 3, 1983, produces up to 30,000 tons of sulfur dioxide per day."

see:
                            http://starbulletin.com/2005/10/09/news/story07.html

Comment

Thanks for the article, South Kona.

I guess my definition of asthma was a little bit too casual. Allergies can bring on asthma like symptoms too, even though they are not considered asthma by the medical society. Many people I know though can definitely tell a vog day by their symptoms - headaches and breathing discomfort, sneezing, caughing.
                              If there is really no vog connection then the only other explanation I would have is that the Kona wind (which blows across the mountain) brings mold spores from the higher elevated rainforest type areas (where it's always wet) into the lower lying areas, which can lead to allergies.

My main point remains though that I would avoid an area where there is a lot of vog with kids as much as I would avoid areas where there is a lot of mold (like some areas on the East and north coast of the Big Island). Especially when we don't know what it is going to do to them. The coastal areas on the east seem to be quite safe.

Michael
                              www.punaguide.com

Comment

Vindona is correct about vog causing headaches, coughing, etc. in some people. Depending on the wind, the vog can be much heavier in certain areas (Kona town!). North Kona is usually pretty clear, even on voggy days, once you get to Kiholo Bay or thereabouts. South Kona clears up somewhere past Kealakehe.

BUT, despite the "sometimes vog", West Hawaii has weather and water that is hard to beat!

I'd say that most Hilo people think their EAST side is best, while most Kona people think their WEST side is best, but both agree the Big Island is best of all.

Comment

Working...
                                X