Thinking of moving to the Big Island

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Thinking of moving to the Big Island

So we can all agree that there are both racist and tolerant INDIVIDUALS in each location, but does the overall CULTURE lean one way? I'd like to think that people in HT are people who want to make a difference.

Comment

Originally posted by Mahi Waina
      So we can all agree that there are both racist and tolerant INDIVIDUALS in each location, but does the overall CULTURE lean one way? I'd like to think that people in HT are people who want to make a difference.
      For sure. The challenge is to outshout the "mean" people and kill 'em with kindness. "Nice" people tend not to want to rock the boat and thus very often get taken advantage of, which is what causes the resentment problem.

Miulang
      Last edited by Miulang; March 14, 2006, 02:57 PM.
      "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

It's funny...A couple of people mentioned "killing with kindness". My mom taught me that when I was a wee one, and I've been preaching it to anyone who will listen since. It really does work...although I find it sometimes pisses people off more than if you had just ignored them.

One of my fave things to do, if someone gets pissy about being behind me or is driving crazy: smile and either wave or blow them a kiss. They get so mad, it makes me laugh.

Comment

OK, enough of the negitives, how about someone giving some positive things that Hawaii has to offer. What's the food like, the weather, the ocean, parks, hiking trails, beaches? What do you do for fun? Where are your favorite places to hang out? In short, what do you love about Hawaii the most?
          Try to enjoy life! "You won't get out alive"

Comment

Another question for everyone:

How is your litter? Do people seem to keep Hawaii clean? The NE corrider seems like it's full of garbage...like we never got over the depression or the philly trash strikes.

Comment

Two things I liked that are different from mainland:

- Minimum speed limits

- Free garbage dumps

Comment

Originally posted by flying snow
                How is your litter? Do people seem to keep Hawaii clean? The NE corrider seems like it's full of garbage...like we never got over the depression or the philly trash strikes.
                A favorite phrase is "Malama Aina" which means care for the land. I'm sure that's what everybody thinks when they throw a ciggy butt out the window of a car or smash it into the sand at the beach. Litter is atrocious in Hawaii. And very little recycling.

There is very little "care for the land" in Hawaii from a litter point of view.
                FutureNewsNetwork.com
                Energy answers are already here.

Comment

Originally posted by timkona
                  A favorite phrase is "Malama Aina" which means care for the land. I'm sure that's what everybody thinks when they throw a ciggy butt out the window of a car or smash it into the sand at the beach. Litter is atrocious in Hawaii. And very little recycling.

There is very little "care for the land" in Hawaii from a litter point of view.
                  Don't forget the burned-out, abandoned vehicles that might have a "Mālama 'Āina" bumper sticker or two.
                  Ā Ē Ī Ō Ū ā ē ī ō ū -- Just a little something to "cut and paste."

Comment

You say it's bad...but do you have trash all along the sides of the road?

I was on my way to pick up the husband from work yesterday, and it just happened to be trash day. Scheisse. I think the garbagemen left more trash flying around in the wind, then they picked up. (We're having high winds right now, 40mph gusts.)

I'm so sick of people throwing garbage on the ground. A few years ago (in Philly), I watched a woman throw her potato chip bag on the ground, 2 feet away from a trash can. I, of course...big mouth that I am, said something. I'm surprised she didn't stab me. She started cursing and yelling at ME! *sigh*

Also, another question or two (not just for the Big Islanders, but the other Islanders as well):

Do you have many art galleries? I remember Auntie Lynn saying she was going to First Friday...

Stupid question, but is there a large hipster scene? Does Oahu get many concerts? Like Modest Mouse, The Strokes, etc. ? I suppose I could restate this question as is there much of an alternative music scene?

Ta!

Comment

[/QUOTE]

Stupid question, but is there a large hipster scene? Does Oahu get many concerts? Like Modest Mouse, The Strokes, etc. ? I suppose I could restate this question as is there much of an alternative music scene?

Ta![/QUOTE]

I was just wondering the same thing. There were few big shows in Alaska...it's just not profitable for big venues to go to remote places.

Is there a local music scene? If a local music scene is really good it doesn't matter as much if the big names don't come.
                      "Lay back, relax and look up at the sky.."

Comment

Originally posted by justawhispr
                        Is there a local music scene? If a local music scene is really good it doesn't matter as much if the big names don't come.
                        there are many good local bands...

check out pipeline's web site. also wave waikiki. then the smaller bars. arnolds; new group each day o da week.
                        check da weekly for listings.

Comment

You will find BOTH kinds of music in Hawaii ... Hawaiian AND Reggae
                          FutureNewsNetwork.com
                          Energy answers are already here.

Comment

and that other kinda music too, that makes us ask the perrenial question:

"Just exactly where da HELL IIIISSSS Jawaii, anyway!?"

Comment

Originally posted by cougar88nw
                              OK, enough of the negitives, how about someone giving some positive things that Hawaii has to offer. What's the food like, the weather, the ocean, parks, hiking trails, beaches? What do you do for fun? Where are your favorite places to hang out? In short, what do you love about Hawaii the most?

Still waiting to here something positve!
                              Try to enjoy life! "You won't get out alive"

Comment

Originally posted by cougar88nw
                                Still waiting to here something positve!
                                People
                                Weather ('cept of late!)
                                Ocean
                                Air quality ('cept when Kilauea is spewing!)
                                Scenery
                                Aloha
                                Life style
                                Tranquility
                                ...and now I've run out of time!
                                Next...

Comment

Working...
                                X