• Show
Clear All

Re: Thinking of moving to the Big Island

Originally posted by MadAzza
    Because he's deaf?

<insert emoticon of choice here>

How did you know that??????????

MadAzza,

Thanks for the humor! We needed a laugh.
    Try to enjoy life! "You won't get out alive"

Comment

Originally posted by Hekele
      In our family, we are of many mixed cultures Native American, Caucasian, Hawaiian, African American, Norwegian, Aleutian, Philippine, Mexican, and the list goes on. Now when we get together, we don’t see any differences, but I am sure others do. On one occasion one of my nephews who lives on a reservation was having a really hard time with looking like the typical Norwegian, blond hair blue eyes ect. Even though he is ¾ Nez Pierce those Nordic genes took over, as with any crisis a family round table was called. At that time there were 46 youngsters in the group who sat down to listen to Grandma as she was the eldest she was also the wisest, and the she taught us lesson has always stuck with me so I thought I would share with you J

She said “No matter what you look like, how tall you are (some of us are really tall) whether your hair is curly or straight, the color of your skin or perhaps they don’t like your accent. There will always be someone who won’t like you. They may call you names, and may slap you with hatred, but that’s okay Just stand up tall, be proud, and kill’em with kindness, and in the end you will be victorious.

Now over the years, no matter where I’ve been, I have heard a few choice words(dirty squaw, my personal favorite (that was in Idaho, lovely place ), been shoved (because I was a Woman (Abu Dubai ), kicked (because I was an American (Austria) and sometimes treated like crap just because I suspect someone was having a bad day, I only let it bother me for 1 minute, then move on. I may not always win the battle, but on occasion when I’ve killed them with kindness and maybe, on that day I’ve won the war, Oh what a glorious feeling! Don’t you just love those wise Grandmas.J
      They may call you names, and may slap you with hatred, but that’s okay Just stand up tall, be proud, and kill’em with kindness, and in the end you will be victorious.
      Don’t you just love those wise Grandmas.J

Best advice I have heard yet and from the best source, Grandmas!!! Who can argue with them?!

Comment

This thread makes me sad.

When my husband and I, fancily dressed up and trying to kill an hour before meeting up with some friends that we were so excited to see, tried to order two beers at a marina. We were the only Hawaiians in there, but hey, everyone looks the same when they are wearing Tommy Bahama, right? In fact, some other lady and I were sporting the same dress. 45 minutes went by, I flagged the waitress TWICE and my husband and I left because it was painfully obvious to us that our money wasn't wanted there. And my husband is a large, well-muscled Hawaiian man. Yet for that very reason he WON'T get all tan-ta-dan in a place like that because who would they arrest first? The blalah. And to live his life, with a spotless arrest record, you can imagine how ingrained it is into him to quickly keep low when outnumbered by people who will use your size/demographic against you.

Enough with the haole cry-bebe stuff. Everyone gets pissed on in life. And yes, there is brown priviledge here, but there is STILL white priviledge too. Try getting a job on merchant street or Ala Moana blvd looking like my husband and you too will be sweeping the grounds, praying to move on up to shop steward someday. I married a smart, gentle man. But even as a Hawaiian woman, my smile will get me farther than his will.

And yet, Hawai'i no ka 'oi. Still get plenty reason to smile.

aloha, Pua'i

pax

Comment

Originally posted by Pua'i Mana'o
          Enough with the haole cry-bebe stuff. Everyone gets pissed on in life.

seriously, take it with a grain of salt and move on, be the bigger person, and just realize that just becasue one person acts that way doesn't mean everybody is like that. To the original poster of this thread I would not let some of these responses discourage you from following your dreams and moving to the big island, if thats what you want to do then do it, just be respectful, and treat others the way you would like to be treated, thats the best advice I can give.

Comment

Originally posted by Alarick
            Since i turned up the proximity sensor on my car alarm, i've noticed alot fewer people coming close to my car, so we'll see how that works, and then i'll take more precautions.
            Oh, that's great. One more car, one more alarm, more noise. I bet your neighbors love that.

I used to hate it when snowbirds flocked into my hometown in the south because all they would do is whine and moan about everything. The prices. The accents. The fact that people behind counters weren't as snappy as they'd have liked. I got sick of hearing really quickly of hearing how it was done "up north".

And I hate hearing that kind of thing even more now. I hear endless whining about neighbor island issues from transplants. They don't like the word "haole". They don't like the weird food. They don't like taxes. They don't like environmental regulations. And the weird thing is, most of the complaints fly so casually out of the mouths of people who have chosen to move here. They bought the plane ticket, they sold all their stuff, and now they're sitting in their McMansions, boohooing about stuff that was decided when they were in diapers.

My advice to anyone thinking of moving here: before you set foot on a plane, read. A lot. There are dozens of books about Hawaii history. Read them. Think about what it would be like to move to Japan. Or Korea. Or any other country where the culture is unfamiliar. Decide that you're going to try and fit in. Get used to food you've never eaten.

The people who get the most grief don't do any of those things.
            Last edited by Kilinahe; March 10, 2006, 02:23 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by cougar88nw
              They may call you names, and may slap you with hatred, but that’s okay Just stand up tall, be proud, and kill’em with kindness, and in the end you will be victorious.
              Don’t you just love those wise Grandmas.J

Best advice I have heard yet and from the best source, Grandmas!!! Who can argue with them?!
              Apparently not many people today are learning that lesson by listening to their Grandmas. It's all about mememememememe and screw everybody else now.

Miulang
              "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

As far as "doing as the locals do" i've thought about putting one of those flip-flop (slipper) bumper stickers from one of the island music radio stations on my car, but i can't stand bumper stickers.

The mini Haka thing sounds like it may be worth a shot, and it's not a bumper sticker.

I can see the Texas inspection and registration thing being a reason to single my car out, but as far as "locals don't drive convertibles" i'm just gonna have to call bs on that one.
                In my line of work, i see something on the order of 50 or so cars a day come through the dealership for repair, and more than a few (driven by locals) are convertibles.

Some people i've noticed since i've moved here, just don't like anything anyone from the mainland says or does, and will complain about it regardless of the validity of the complaint.

I have no objection to Hawaiian culture, and i'd love to learn more about it, but i also don't intend to sacrifice my own redneck culture from Texas in the process.

And since the topic of cars and what locals have on them has popped up here, can someone tell me what the two tassels of very dry and flammable grass hanging dangerously close to the cars exhaust means?

Just in case anyone was curious, said V8 sports car here gets about 22 miles a gallon (got about 30 in Texas, but Texas is flat) and used cost less than a Ford Focus or Chevy Aveo cost new.
                So it's not like it's out of everyone's reach in price.
                Got Absinthe?

Comment

And since the topic of cars and what locals have on them has popped up here, can someone tell me what the two tassels of very dry and flammable grass hanging dangerously close to the cars exhaust means?

I've lived here my entire life, my impression on that is it is used to a signify a warrior in local parlance
                  Check out my blog on Kona issues :
                  The Kona Blog

Comment

Some people i've noticed since i've moved here, just don't like anything anyone from the mainland says or does, and will complain about it regardless of the validity of the complaint.

Yup, some people here just detest new residents complaints or even their
                    suggestions. I've seen that a lot in my life living here.
                    Check out my blog on Kona issues :
                    The Kona Blog

Comment

Originally posted by Kilinahe
                      [...]I used to hate it when snowbirds flocked into my hometown in the south because all they would do is whine and moan about everything. The prices. The accents. The fact that people behind counters weren't as snappy as they'd have liked. I got sick of hearing really quickly of hearing how it was done "up north".

And I hate hearing that kind of thing even more now. I hear endless whining about neighbor island issues from transplants. They don't like the word "haole". They don't like the weird food. They don't like taxes. They don't like environmental regulations. And the weird thing is, most of the complaints fly so casually out of the mouths of people who have chosen to move here. They bought the plane ticket, they sold all their stuff, and now they're sitting in their McMansions, boohooing about stuff that was decided when they were in diapers.
                      [...]
                      Now that the Waianae Coast has been 'discovered' and real estate is being gobbled up by mainland folks, I'm seeing a lot of the behavior mentioned above. They bought at really good prices by Hawaii standards. Why? Because that's the economically deprived side of the island. And it shows! With the homeless situation on the increase and the west side beaches covered with tents...it shows even more. One snow bird/owner mentioned, with a turned up nose, that she wished the city and county would plant bouganvillia along both sides of Farrington Hwy., from Nanakuli thru Makaha, to hide "them" and "those".

I've always believed Hawaii in general (and the Waianae Coast in particular) is the land of instant karma. Sometimes instant just isn't fast enough!

Comment

I TOLD YOU SO !!!)
                        enough said? cannot get it by now den tumting wong
                        bin dea-dunn dat.

Comment

I have no objection to Hawaiian culture, and i'd love to learn more about it, but i also don't intend to sacrifice my own redneck culture from Texas in the process.
                          If part of your redneck culture includes saying "Honey, get me another Mai-Tai" while slapping the waitress's okole, then 'Boy, yo in a heap a' trouble!'

Tutusue may volunteer to be your friendly, neighborhood karmic agent.

Comment

OK, I can understand some of the resentment. We feel that way about some of the northerners coming south, jacking up the prices of real estate, sticking up their noses at us with a "better than you" attitude, making fun of our way of life and the way we talk. Then, when you ask them why they moved south they say because it's cheaper, a slower pace of life and they like our southern hospitality. Go figure!!! It's everywhere, not just Hawaii. What ever happend to the "Golden Rule: Do Unto Others As You Would Have Them Do Unto You"? This world would be a much better place if we could all follow that rule a little more. I will have to work on that myself. Understanding is the key. We will try to learn all that we can about the culture and people of Hawaii and show respect. I think this would have a positive influence on us and our kids.

Comment

I can see the Texas inspection and registration thing being a reason to single my car out, but as far as "locals don't drive convertibles" i'm just gonna have to call bs on that one.
                              In my line of work, i see something on the order of 50 or so cars a day come through the dealership for repair, and more than a few (driven by locals) are convertibles.

You see more convertibles in Kona because Kona is on the dry side of the island, and that is your little "world". Try going into Hilo town and counting the number of convertibles there are there...I bet you'll be about the only one (with the exception of tourists who don't know any better). Of course, there may be more Acuras and Lexuses in Hilo, but they won't be convertibles.

And as a newcomer, I'd be really careful about complaining too loudly. Kama'aina don't like it too much when you start complaining right away. There's a reason why many locals don't like the "loud" people from the Mainland. Hawai'i is a melting pot of many cultures, and many of those cultures are Asian. In Asia you show respect for others, not flap your jaw just to hear your own voice.

Miulang
                              "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

The Big Island is beautiful. We lived in Hilo for 3 years in the late 1980's. Just keep in mind a subdivision over there may be dirt roads, no electricity and a catchment system ( which means that the rain water runs down your roof into gutters and into an above ground pool). That is your source of water for your house!! A little bit different than just having city water sources. You learn to take quick showers and conserve your water. Figure the cost of food, conservatively to be 25% higher than the mainland. The same for household goods too. It's not a cheap area to live. It is a more laid back environment, but jobs are hard to come by. Make sure you have a job lined up before you move. On the good side there is so much to do outside - swimming, snorkeling and hiking, which don't cost you lots of money to do as a family. You really get a sense of the real Hawaii and the Aloha spirit on the Big Island, that is the biggest plus of living over there is really learning about the culture. Good luck.

Comment

Working...
                                X